PDA

View Full Version : Confusion on carrying in a motor vehicle

Shanesmyname
10-08-2013, 7:00 AM
I know that when carrying firearms it has to be unloaded and in a locked container. But can a firearm be with me at all times? Or can it only be with me when going shooting/gun store/legal gun related activities?

tpc13
10-08-2013, 7:12 AM
If u have a CCW then with u. If not then no. No open carry in Ca unloaded either.

Mottmcfly
10-08-2013, 7:25 AM
I think the OP is asking about keeping it in the car at all times. My understanding is that as long as it's legally stored in the motor vehicle, there is no restriction on destination. IE: range, gun shop..

I'm no lawyer though..

sealocan
10-08-2013, 8:15 AM
there's a lot of great information for you at the "Calguns foundation" wiki information pages ...
look it up, I know I learned a lot there.

Librarian
10-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Commonly called a 'trunk gun' - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting#A_.22trunk_gun.22

E Pluribus Unum
10-14-2013, 11:56 PM
If u have a CCW then with u. If not then no. No open carry in Ca unloaded either.

That would make hunting impossible....

Open carry is still legal in unincorporated areas...

RickD427
10-15-2013, 8:04 AM

Actually, this is pretty far from being correct. Open carry is only permiitted in unincorporated areas where shooting is permitted. In most urban counties, that rules out all, or nearly all, of the unincorporated areas from open carry.

Please refer to Penal Code section 26350 for the particulars.

fr33domfightr
10-18-2013, 11:25 AM
"25505 In order for a firearm to be exempted under this article,
while being transported to or from a place, the firearm shall
be unloaded and kept in a locked container, and the course of
travel shall include only those deviations between authorized
locations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

"As used in Sections 17740, 23925, 25105, 25205, and 25610,
and in Article 3 (commencing with Section 25505) of Chapter 2
of Division 5 of Title 4, "locked container" means
a secure container
that is fully enclosed and
locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar
locking device.

The term "locked container" does not include the utility or
glove compartment of a motor vehicle."

Ammunition in the locked container is legal

"So long as the handgun is itself unloaded, ammunition in the same container does not make the handgun loaded.

Some gun owners may be more comfortable transporting ammunition in a separate container, or a separate compartment of the locked container, but this is not required by current law."

CitaDeL
10-20-2013, 5:59 PM
E Pluribus Unum;12542198]That would make hunting impossible....

Actually, this is pretty far from being correct. Open carry is only permiitted in unincorporated areas where shooting is permitted. In most urban counties, that rules out all, or nearly all, of the unincorporated areas from open carry.

Uhm. No.

If one reads 26350 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/26350.html), the statute addresses unloaded handguns in the following listed places;

A public place or public street in an incorporated city or city and county.(Such as city and county of San Francisco)
A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county or city and county. (A prohibited area is defined as a place where discharge of firearms has been prohibited by local ordinance.)
A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.

Loaded and unloaded open carry is still lawful in most areas in California, school zones and discharge prohibited areas notwithstanding. The hitch is, that they are the least populated and most conservative areas of the state.

RickD427
10-20-2013, 9:23 PM
Uhm. No.

If one reads 26350 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/26350.html), the statute addresses unloaded handguns in the following listed places;

A public place or public street in an incorporated city or city and county.(Such as city and county of San Francisco)
A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county or city and county. (A prohibited area is defined as a place where discharge of firearms has been prohibited by local ordinance.)
A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.

Loaded and unloaded open carry is still lawful in most areas in California, school zones and discharge prohibited areas notwithstanding. The hitch is, that they are the least populated and most conservative areas of the state.

Citadel,

My posting is correct, as it was originally stated. Let's look at the actual law. Here's the text of the pertinent part:

"26350. (a) (1) A person is guilty of openly carrying an unloaded
handgun when that person carries upon his or her person an exposed
and unloaded handgun outside a vehicle while in or on any of the
following:
(A) A public place or public street in an incorporated city or
city and county.
(B) A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area
of a county or city and county.
(C) A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and
county."
If you're in public in an incorporated city - No open carry (Paragraph (A))

If you're on a public street in a prohibited area of a county - No open carry (Paragraph (B)). Please note the definition of a "prohibited area" is slightly different that you have stated (refer to Penal Code section 17030). An area may be prohibited by local ordinance, state law, and for areas in the state under federal jurisdiction, by federal law.

If you're in a public place in a prohibited area of a county - No open carry (Paragraph (C)).

That pretty much leaves the only areas, except for the numerous exceptions previously cited, as being unincorporated areas where shooting is permitted (which is basically little or none of the urban counties) and private areas.

You may be correct in that most areas of the state may consist of unincorporated and permitted areas where open carry is legal. Please note, carefully, that my original posting discussed the urban counties where open carry is pretty much illegal.

E Pluribus Unum
10-22-2013, 2:57 PM

No sir, it's not.

I stated I can open carry while hunting; if I'm in a prohibited area in unincorporated territory, then I can't lawfully hunt either.

Besides, in unincorporated territory, prohibited areas are few and far between.

johnny1290
10-27-2013, 5:40 AM
How I would do it:

locked hard casee box in the trunk with empty mags and no ammo in that case. I'd be careful not to park in post office lots and be vigilant for gun free zones.

You can theoretically do other things, but that's my comfort level.

Falstaff
10-27-2013, 4:02 PM
How I would do it:

l. I'd be careful not to park in post office lots and be vigilant for gun free zones.

Is the parking lot of a post office considered part of the post office? So even if firearm is locked up you'd be in violation of federal law??

Librarian
10-27-2013, 4:18 PM
Is the parking lot of a post office considered part of the post office? So even if firearm is locked up you'd be in violation of federal law??

That's in progress - see the thread on the Bonidy case. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=349830&highlight=bonidy