PDA

View Full Version : AK Pistols

lomalinda
10-07-2013, 3:26 PM
What's the state of the art for AK pistols being sent to CA? Must they still arrive as single-shot (sled installed)?

Thanks,

Dave

stix213
10-07-2013, 4:51 PM
They don't have to arrive into the state as single shot, but they can't be sold to non-LEO until that is done. They have to arrive into the state as a non-AW unless the FFL has relevant permits to handle AW's.

WeekendWarrior
10-08-2013, 12:37 PM
They are not on the safe handgun roster meaning to be transferred to an ordinary civilian in California they need to meet the definition of a single shot pistol.

Atlantic Firearms is having a sale on PAP M92s right now - $639 IIRC which is a good deal for a true "Yugo" (aka Serbian now) krink pistol from Zastava and imported by CAI. The only downside to these pistols is that the barrels are not chrome lined. Atlantic ships with no mags and a single shot sled installed with a bullet button.

The quality of the fit and finish on the M92 is high. Besides that, you can pick up a Bulgarian krink pistol from KVAR, an I.O. Inc has the Hellpup. I would check recent reviews of the hellpup though, when I was doing research I saw that some reviewers were reporting cycling problems. Dracos are not currently being imported (as of when I researched AK pistols a few months ago).

Dracos and the Hellpup are cut down AKMs while the M92s and KVAR pistols are krinks minus a stock.

If you ever plan on moving to a free state, you should also consider if you would want to SBR the pistol at a later date (with an SBR tax stamp of course). The M92s have virgin underfolder rear trunions so it would be more of a pain to convert. Don't worry about the serial number being on the rear of the side of the pistol, Zastava has moved the serial number to the front of the side of the pistol so that it would not be blocked if you put an underfolder on it in the future once you have your tax stamp. If you plan on staying ion CA, ignore all that as you will always have a pistol unless you convert it to a full length rifle. If you ever do convert it to a rifle remember to make sure it is 922r compliant by swapping in domestically made parts. These pistols are imported directly from the foreign factories with no American parts since pistols are not required to meet 922r compliance under the law.

One last thing - the Yugo pistols have a smaller aftermarket than the Dracos, hellpup, and arsenal Bulgy pistols. Apex, CNCWarrior, AKbuilder, Manticore Arms, and others carry aftermarket parts for the M92. The most common upgrades include a detent kit to secure a muzzle attachment (the housing is present on the gas block, but it comes without the detent, spring and roll pin), an aftermarket muzzle attachment like a booster or Manticore nightbrake, a sling adapter for under the pistol grip, a rail section for the top cover in front of the rear sight (CNC Warrior?) to mount an optic, and if you're not a purist there are handguard rail offerings by companies like MI and a couple other vendors. The iron sights on these pistols can be difficult to use because you dont have a stock to keep the pistol steady and generally people shoot them by pulling the gun away from their body against a sling to provide tension which in turn helps steady the pistol. That means the rear sight blade is decently far away from your eye and it is difficult to get a clear and/or consistent sight picture between shots. Lot's of fun though. Fireballs for days.

Hope that helps!

Atlantic Firearms.com
10-08-2013, 3:56 PM
The AK pistol must be sent in as a single shot pistol and once turned over to the customer can be used with a 10 round mag We are sold out of the basic M92 Pistols today but will have more in on Wed or Thurs .

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/m70pistol.jpg

Endless
10-08-2013, 4:06 PM
The AK pistol must be sent in as a single shot pistol and once turned over to the customer can be used with a 10 round mag We are sold out of the basic M92 Pistols today but will have more in on Wed or Thurs .

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/m70pistol.jpg

These are $599 a pop here in Maine and one dealer has like 20 of them in stock and they just sit. Plenty of 30 round magazines as well and 100 round drums. They just aren't a good seller in free states.

CSACANNONEER
10-08-2013, 4:20 PM
What's the state of the art for AK pistols being sent to CA? Must they still arrive as single-shot (sled installed)?

Thanks,

Dave

Are you back in Ca or planning on moving back? If so, you gotta check out my new place!!!! To re answer the question: yes, they either have to come in to the state or be manufactured here as roster compliant or roster exempt guns first. If you need a sled, let me know. I "loaned" one out a while back but, I can probably get it back if you need it.

These are $599 a pop here in Maine and one dealer has like 20 of them in stock and they just sit. Plenty of 30 round magazines as well and 100 round drums. They just aren't a good seller in free states.

They are just novelty pieces period. They are not big sellers anywhere. I am curious about the 100 round drums that you say are plentiful in Maine. Are you sure they are 100 round drums? If so, do you know the make? Most surplus AK drums are only 75 rounds.

lomalinda
10-09-2013, 6:58 AM
"They are just novelty pieces period."

$200 says otherwise.

:D

nicoroshi
10-11-2013, 11:09 PM
"They are just novelty pieces period."

$200 says otherwise.

:D

Ooooooo.
Tax stamping it eh?