PDA

View Full Version : Almost a year after Newtown, does anyone care about gun control anymore?

sofbak
10-07-2013, 8:32 AM
According to this author, the gun control issue is about dead...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/04/20821070-almost-a-year-after-newtown-does-anyone-care-about-gun-control-anymore?lite

He makes some interesting points, but I don't expect the gun grabbers to fade into oblivion as he predicts........

voiceofreason
10-07-2013, 9:02 AM
The White House administration does.

They are currently going after suppressors

Capybara
10-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Gun control will never go away. It will just vacillate from "bad" to "really bad".

40calibre
10-07-2013, 10:38 AM
I have a bunch of liberal friends on facebook, they won't give it up. I see an antigun status every day. I don't think this fight will ever be over.

BigJ
10-07-2013, 10:43 AM
I have a bunch of liberal friends on facebook, they won't give it up. I see an antigun status every day. I don't think this fight will ever be over.Ever ask them what being anti-gun has to do with violence prevention?

I have a few friends who have basically shut up (at least on Facebook) about their antigun stupidity and instead have morphed into anti violence positions, because I never let an antigun comment pass without a logical counterpoint or question. I consider that a win.

dogrunner
10-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Ah, in the immortal words of the Hildabeast "what difference would it make".

Full Clip
10-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Ask some of you anti-gun Facebook friends if they like playing Call of Duty or GTA 5... I'm always curious about that.

njineermike
10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
As long as there are professional politicians, it will never be dead.

hardlyworking
10-07-2013, 1:39 PM
Are you referring to the fomer candidate for Mayer of San Francisco named "Hilda" ? Remember the election posters for Hilda? "When you care to elect the very beast".

http://www.farleycomicstrip.com/images/130_hilda.jpg

If you think I'm kidding, I'm not. In the 80s or 90s, the San Francisco Chronicle actually ran a tongue-in-cheek campaign (with posters!) for a figure from their political cartoon "Farley", which prominently features four bears who run a restaurant in San Francisco called "The Fog City Dumpster", and spend their summers in "Asphalt State Park" (modeled after Yosemite).

Hilda was the mother bear of the group, and inter-species girlfriend of Farley, a roving reporter for the local newspaper (cleverly disguised as the "Daily Requirement"), who makes a little extra dough in the summer working as a seasonal park ranger in the aforementioned Asphalt State Park. Since Farley was a political cartoon, at some point Hilda the bear decided to run for mayor (against Willie Brown or Art Agnos, I forgot which). Hilarity ensued.

Sadly, the cartoon came to an end when its creator, Phil Frank, died of cancer. A real loss. He made us laugh, while forcing us to understand the world better.
Fascinating story aside (cool story bro!), no, Hildabeast would refer to Hillary Clinton, famously saying after ducking federal investigation for a year when she bumped her head "What difference, at this point, does it make" about the hows and whys and who did whats (or of vastly more importance who did nothing...) regarding the overrunning of the american outpost in Benghazi Libya while under her supervision as sitting Secretary of State.

Lifeon2whls
10-07-2013, 2:10 PM
Don't forget that sometimes its very easy to do things in the dark while everyone thinks a policy is "dead". You can mount quite a campaign in the shadows while we are focused elsewhere....the classic "Hey look over there!"

GM4spd
10-07-2013, 3:43 PM
Ask Gerry Brown. Pete

mag360
10-08-2013, 5:09 AM
Its not dead until we can get rid of BS in the GCA, NFA, and hughes amendment. Gun control is alive and well until in 50 states you can get shall issue ltc and silencers.

njineermike
10-08-2013, 6:43 AM
Its not dead until we can get rid of BS in the GCA, NFA, and hughes amendment. Gun control is alive and well until in 50 states you can get shall issue ltc and silencers.

Shall issue implies control. It's not dead until there is no need for an "issue" at all, and even then it's only dormant.

JMP
10-08-2013, 8:30 AM
There is a vocal minority of liberal radicals that'll take it to their graves unless every firearm is confiscated.