View Full Version : Building a Rem 700 Heirloom Rifle

10-06-2013, 8:28 PM
I bought a brand new Rem 700 BDL in .30-06 with the glossy wood stock and would like to build it up as an heirloom hunting rifle I can pass down to my kids one day. I see it as an "heirloom" much in the same way I see my grandfather's Belgian-built Browning A5 or my (other) grandfather's WWII M1 Garand with a custom hand-carved stock -- functional, while also stylish and classy -- and something that my sons will fight over when they're settling the estate! :D

I plan to use the rifle mostly for occasional bench shooting (600 yards is the longest local range) and possibly a small amount of hunting, but I don't plan to get crazy with it. I would have bought the bull barrel, AICS, and had it chambered in .308 if I'd wanted that. I have other rifles I've built up for heavy hitting and beat around -- this one I want to be more of a legacy piece.

With that in mind, I'm considering a Leupold VX-3 scope, but there are so many options even in just that line (I figure I want the max magnification over 14x). At this point, I'm thinking $1k is probably the ceiling for the glass, the rings, and the mount.

The BDL is the only one to have iron sights, so either peep-through rings or a quick release base & rings are attractive. It has the drop-floor for unloading, so I suppose I'd be open to a one piece base.

Given all that, thoughts on what scope and mounts I should consider? Thanks.

10-06-2013, 9:07 PM
since it is a new rifle, I would go with a new VX-3
were it an older rifle I would have recommended an age/era correct Redfield

the gloss VX-3 looks nice on a blued steel / walnut stock.

I went with a 3x9 gloss finish B&C reticle only because I was unable to fine the Redfield.

***EDIT; my mistake it is actually a VX3 3.5x10 I have the 3x9 Vari II on my CZ

10-07-2013, 8:44 AM
3-9 vx2, 4-12 vx2 Redfield Jr base & rings, no iron sights. Trigger job .270692

10-07-2013, 9:12 AM
Yea it's kinda sad good wood hunting rides seem to be dieing out.

Everything's a synthetic or a polymer now. Just like wing masters you can spot one every now and again

10-07-2013, 8:10 PM
Thanks for the responses. Why the popularity of the 3-9x? I was under the impression you wanted something more powerful on a .30-06. I find the 3-9x on my smaller cal rifles to be a little on the short side. Cheers!

10-08-2013, 8:31 AM
very good big game scope, 3 for closein running shots everything else for more distance.

10-08-2013, 9:02 AM
I'd probably go Leupold VX-3L 3.5-10x40 or 3.5-10x50 in gloss on a gloss base. My base rifle would have been a different choice though. For an heirloom rifle, I would have gone with a Browning X-Bolt or A-Bolt in a nice gloss finish stock. I know gloss isn't typically the way you'd want to make a hunting rifle, but they sure do look good. I would also have the receiver custom engraved with maybe a SMALL amount of tastefully done gold inlay by a quality master engraver.

You could also start off with a Sako 85 90th anniversary rifle. They are everything I just said and more with a custom hard case, paperwork, and absolutely beautifully put together. ( it is a 1 of 10 rifle though, so I would imagine priced accordingly :D )

10-08-2013, 10:05 AM
First I'll give you my take, then I'll give you my reasoning.

For a western rifle getting something up to 10x or perhaps a bit more (I'm more familiar with the Nikons over the Leupolds) seems like a good idea (and since .30-06 is a fine western cartridge and you live in CA, it might as well be a western rifle). Next, I woudldn't worry about the see through sights. If they are tall enough to allow you to see through them to use the irons, they are too tall to be comfortable. Instead, I would simply keep an appropriate allen key and/or screwdriver around to take the scope and bases off. If during a hunt the scope is damaged enough that you need to finish your hunt with the irons, you're not going to be putting the scope back on until it's fixed. No reason for a quick release, just have the tools to remove the scope. I really like the way a rifle looks with a scope AND irons, and the BDLs are good looking rifles. Lastly, hunt with it, get some wear and carry marks on it, and touch up the areas that get scratched. There is NO reason you can't use your rifle and maintain it's good looks. It won't look new, but it'll look good.

Now the reasoning behind, at least, the last recommendation: I inherited a rifle that I never had a chance to shoot with my dad. I'm not sure he ever shot it. It's got a couple of scratches from a less than competent gunsmith around the front sight hood but the rest of the gun is pristine. I've shot it a few times, but I always baby it. I would love to take it hunting but the idea of banging up my dad's pristine rifle kills me. It's the closest thing I have to a safe queen. I take it out every once in a while, make sure it's still in good shape, and put it back in the safe. On the other hand, I inherited another gun from my dad that we did shoot quite a bit while he was still around. I run that gun hard and I run it often. I've replaced most of the wear parts such that half the gun isn't original to when my dad owned it, and I feel it's fitting and appropriate.

So, do you want your kids to use the gun or just occasionally take it out of the safe? I came to the conclusion that, with my dad's rifle, I have no intention of selling it. It is monetarily worthless, as I won't ever sell it (though from a collecting standpoint it's worth a decent bit). I might as well use it. When I have children and pass on and they inherit their grandpa's gun from their passed on father I'd just as soon they don't sell it either, and instead, shoot it and take care of it.