PDA

View Full Version : Had a problem at the range today!

Lucky Scott
10-06-2013, 9:01 PM
Shooting my Reminton 700 in 7mm rem mag. Shooting factory remington ammo.
Shot 22 rounds with no issues, but on the 23rd round I heard an explosion and felt shrapnel on my face. The magazine floorplate on the gun opened up and I had a hard time getting the bolt to open. When i did, I found the primer on my cartridge completely gone. Black crap all over the back end of cartridge and the bolt. Some debris in the barrel. The button that you depress to get the bolt out is stuck in and wont come out.
I had already planned on taking it to my gun smith for some upgrades, so I will let him take a look at it. It was a wild way to end my shooting day.
Not sure what really happened, dont know if the problem was the gun or the ammo. I am hoping just a bad factory round.

Raralith
10-06-2013, 9:11 PM
Wow! Do you still have the box? I'd take down the lot information and send it over to Remington. That is definitely not supposed to happen.

Iloveguns
10-06-2013, 9:38 PM
Yeah dont send it to your smith just yet. I would talk to Remington first.

Maltese Falcon
10-06-2013, 9:46 PM
Maybe an overcharge?

BroncoBob
10-06-2013, 9:51 PM
Only cow, glad you were not injured. Do not take it to your GS, Remington should be contacted.

mark501w
10-07-2013, 7:34 AM
Contact the cartridge co , what was the cartridge.

Lucky Scott
10-07-2013, 9:28 AM
Remington 7mm remington Magnum was the cartridge. It was a factory box of ammo. Core-lokt 150 gr.

I am sure a bad round gets by occasionally. I will take the rifle to my smith and get it checked out. Maybe it is fine, but I need to know.

mark501w
10-07-2013, 9:55 AM
Nice Nova my kids got one. Remington should know right away! They my have a bad lot of ammo bad time of year to be pushing out bad ammo in such a popular caliber. It's not unusual for a cartridge co. to pay for repaired or replacement especially since they made the gun too !

Wrangler John
10-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Phone Remington today - as soon as possible. Have the ammunition box handy with the lot number, and your rifle's serial number. Do not let anyone else touch it, that will taint the liability chain. The problem could have been caused by an under load, not an overload, too little slow burning powder in a charge can cause a huge spike in pressure. Ammunition loading machines are more likely to produce an under load than an overload, or have been charged with either the wrong or defective powder.

Let them know as soon as possible so they can issue a pickup label, you will have to return it to them. If there is a problem with that lot of ammunition they will issue a recall notice, in order to prevent someone else from being injured.

Lucky Scott
10-07-2013, 10:51 AM
"liability chain."
Not really interested in liability. Sometimes stuff happens. If it is broken, I will pay to have it fixed.

golfish
10-07-2013, 10:57 AM
"liability chain."
Not really interested in liability. Sometimes stuff happens. If it is broken, I will pay to have it fixed.

Your not worried about somebody else getting hurt?

Bastard
10-07-2013, 11:18 AM
"liability chain."

how old is the rifle?
did you buy it new?

I agree that sometime things just happen - but why pay to have something fixed when you can have it done under warranty

mark501w
10-07-2013, 11:19 AM
You almost had a life altering experience , instead it only turned out to be a post. There are thousands of people shooting that ammo this year you should contact Remington. That rifle faced a massive overload you should have the people who built it look at it.

khw9mm
10-07-2013, 11:21 AM
"liability chain."

You're my type of customer! :)

To be serious now, you should definitely contact Remington for this before your smith. I'm sure you want to find out as soon as possible but stuff like this should NOT happen in factory ammo. Even "every once in a while..." They really need to know.

Lucky Scott
10-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Okay, I was wrong.
I have been talked into sending it into Remington. Now, I was upfront with them and told them I am not trying to pin liability or get something for free. But My friends made me call them, and Remington said the best thing to do was to have them look at it.

My main concern is safety, and that includes me and the people around me.

I am going to ship it to Remington, and have them look at it. If it needs repair and parts, it will be in a good place. I will know for sure that it is safe.

By the way, this is a 1972 rifle. I did not buy it new. The ammo has been sitting around for a while also. It is factory Remington ammo, but the box looks old. The ammo looks perfect, but it is not recent production ammo.

I told the remington guy this up front. Told him it was an old gun, not a warrenty or liability issue, but I was talked into calling them and asking their advice. I thought perhaps they would tell me to have the repair guy check headspace, firing pin etc. Instead he told me to send it in. It sounded reasonable to have the factory make sure it was completely safe.

mark501w
10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Wise choice , it doesn't matter how old anything is you stoked your 700 with their mistake & they know it.

Garyson1311
10-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Dude thats a serious thing that happened to you. Call Remington. If it was an issue with the ammo, I would think they owe you a check for a new gun.

Bastard
10-07-2013, 12:14 PM
I agree wise choice - let us know how it turns out.

wjc
10-07-2013, 6:49 PM
Definitely let us know the result, OP.

I have little regard for Remington ammo but I'd be curious if it was a badly seated primer or some other defect.

Cypriss32
10-07-2013, 7:09 PM
7 rem mag? I had one, factory ammo is loaded very low compared to hand loads I made. I suspect it MIGHT have been a reload you received or a bad factory round no doubt.

thospb
10-07-2013, 8:11 PM
A quality rifle saved you from harm! The ammo is at fault. I would take photos of the ammo box w/ lot #, etc just in case it gets "lost" when you send it to Remington. They may find it was the way the ammo has been stored, but I'm sure they ill take care of you.
A good teaching moment for eye protection.

'ol shooter
10-07-2013, 9:37 PM
You said the ammo was on the old side, how old? Old enough that the powder had started to break down? If you still have a few loaded rounds from that lot, pull the bullet and dump the powder. If the powder is reddish looking, you are basically playing with unstable powder, and should empty all the cases and burn off the powder.

russ69
10-07-2013, 10:43 PM
...By the way, this is a 1972 rifle. I did not buy it new. The ammo has been sitting around for a while also. It is factory Remington ammo, but the box looks old. The ammo looks perfect, but it is not recent production ammo...

The age of the rifle is not in question, 1972 is as good or better than new. I would question the ammo, did you buy it new yourself? Is it possible it was reloaded and put into the factory box?

Lucky Scott
10-08-2013, 7:23 AM
"I would question the ammo, did you buy it new yourself? Is it possible it was reloaded and put into the factory box?"

I bought the ammo from a guy that had sold a rifle, so it was not new to me. I talked to the remington folks and we traced the numbers on the box. They said it is 1994. I guess it is possible that someone put some reloads in the factory box. I dont know how I would tell, since the brass appears to match the box. I know when I save my good brass I put it back in the factory box, so I guess someone could have done that. I may pull a bullet and look, but the remington lady said they would like to look at it and I may just send it to them. I know I wont shoot the rest of the box. I would normally save the brass but I think under the circumstances I will just get rid of it. I would hate to take a chance.

Lucky Scott
10-08-2013, 7:25 AM
I dont know yet, but I also suspect it was an ammo related issue. I have been putting off reloading, but it may be time to think about it. At least I would know what I have. I know there are lots of benefits in terms or accuracy as well.

the86d
10-08-2013, 8:28 AM
You can't really overcharge 5.56 with Varget. Just saying.

Lucky Scott
10-08-2013, 2:42 PM

Well, I guess that's good to know...............
But my 5.56 wont reach out as far as the 7mm Rem Mag.

tacticalcity
10-08-2013, 2:46 PM
You are OK, right? You said something about metal to the face? Really sorry that happened.

Clever
10-08-2013, 2:54 PM
Reloaded ammo mixed in with factory.. If you purchased the ammo from someone and not a store, ANYTHING can be expected. I am Glad you are OK, what you experienced is not a matter to take lightly. Things like that can cause serious injury an or death. Unless you reload or have someone reload for you according to your rifle Specs. DO NOT SHOOT AMMO THAT IS NOT HAND LOADED FOR YOUR RIFLE..PERIOD!!!

Clever
10-08-2013, 2:59 PM
"I would question the ammo, did you buy it new yourself? Is it possible it was reloaded and put into the factory box?"

I bought the ammo from a guy that had sold a rifle, so it was not new to me. I talked to the remington folks and we traced the numbers on the box. They said it is 1994. I guess it is possible that someone put some reloads in the factory box. I dont know how I would tell, since the brass appears to match the box. I know when I save my good brass I put it back in the factory box, so I guess someone could have done that. I may pull a bullet and look, but the remington lady said they would like to look at it and I may just send it to them. I know I wont shoot the rest of the box. I would normally save the brass but I think under the circumstances I will just get rid of it. I would hate to take a chance.
SAVE THE BRASS AND PROJECTILES.. GET RID OF THE POWDER AND PRIMERS. YOU STILL HAVE COMPONENTS THERE..

TMB 1
10-08-2013, 3:02 PM

I would send it to them. I bet it was probably reloads but you never know.

russ69
10-08-2013, 3:45 PM
I would send it to them. I bet it was probably reloads but you never know.

Some tell-tale signs are the condition of the case. Is it really bright and shiny. Also look for sealant on the bullet and primer. I also look for signs of a factory crimp on the bullet. Also check and see if the bullet matches the description on the box. You can usually tell factory ammo about 80% of the time.

postal
10-08-2013, 4:32 PM

Well, I guess that's good to know...............
But my 5.56 wont reach out as far as the 7mm Rem Mag.

:confused::D:D:D LOLZ!!!

Hey 86d.... I guarantee you, I can load up some 5.56 for ya that's overcharged....

Hello titegroup! (or any other pistol or shotgun powder)

--edit--- oh, he did say "with varget".... I can grind down the varget then go to a compressed load....

Clever
10-08-2013, 4:39 PM
Pehhh osss tehhh...wtf?

ExtremeX
10-08-2013, 4:49 PM
Glad you came to your senses… and glad you are not seriously hurt. Sending it in to the manufacture is the right decision.

Let us know what Remington says.

When things like this happen… be sure to document and take pictures before sending anything in to the manufacture so you have your own records.

postal
10-08-2013, 4:52 PM
HUH??? Did you mean me? Clever?

That was in response to "the86d" who apparently didnt even comprehend the thread, and was talking about 556 no being able to be overcharged... even though the thread is about 7mmR mag....

His post didnt make any sense on this thread, and his adamant statement about not being able to overcharge 556 is wrong....

I didnt even mention adding magnum primer to it...

milotrain
10-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Okay, I was wrong.
I have been talked into sending it into Remington. Now, I was upfront with them and told them I am not trying to pin liability or get something for free. But My friends made me call them, and Remington said the best thing to do was to have them look at it.

My main concern is safety, and that includes me and the people around me.

I am going to ship it to Remington, and have them look at it. If it needs repair and parts, it will be in a good place. I will know for sure that it is safe.

By the way, this is a 1972 rifle. I did not buy it new. The ammo has been sitting around for a while also. It is factory Remington ammo, but the box looks old. The ammo looks perfect, but it is not recent production ammo.

I told the remington guy this up front. Told him it was an old gun, not a warrenty or liability issue, but I was talked into calling them and asking their advice. I thought perhaps they would tell me to have the repair guy check headspace, firing pin etc. Instead he told me to send it in. It sounded reasonable to have the factory make sure it was completely safe.

There should be more people like you in the world. Well handled.

SonofWWIIDI
10-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Glad you were not seriously injured!!!!!!!

Sending it to Remington is definitely the best way to go.

Good luck!

unusedusername
10-09-2013, 1:11 PM
I'm convinced that gun companies have the best warranties in the world compared to any other products.

Try calling an electronics company with a problem with a model of 1972 electronic gadget, even a really pricy one.

Try the same thing with a car company.

LynnJr
10-09-2013, 8:56 PM
If you have anymore of the ammo on hand what color is the primer?

pennstater
10-11-2013, 11:28 AM
If you have anymore of the ammo on hand what color is the primer?

Good question.

LynnJr
10-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Thank You
If the primers are shiny chrome colored its reloaded ammo.

Lucky Scott
10-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I do have the box, and it has about half the ammo in it still. So I checked the ammo and half of the primers are gold and the other half are shiny like stainless. That is a really good clue that some reloads got mixed in with the ammo. I dont really know what color the primer was on the round that exploded since there is no trace of the primer left in that round. But I think at this point we can probably go with a bad or overloaded reload.