PDA

View Full Version : Could the Govt. Shutdown open the door to Gun Control in 2014 Elections?

RMP91
10-06-2013, 2:16 PM
This was something that hit me just today.

If this whole shutdown/default thing backfires on us, we just might lose everything in 2014 by losing control of the House. And I don't think I have to explain what that would open the door to.

Without being pessimistic or "doom and gloomy",

how do you see this affecting the gun control debate? Will this seemingly unrelated political fight inadvertently revive the gun grabbers? Or will this be the final nail in their collective coffin?

Trapper John
10-06-2013, 7:52 PM
I share your concern that the shutdown/debt limit debate will blow up in the face of the Republican majority in the House of Representative. Sometimes I feel the national Republican party wants to follow in the footsteps of the California Republican party and make themselves irrelevant being on the wrong side of the majority of moderate/independent voters. One thing to be ideologically pure and win primaries, quite another to win general elections.

I also expect gun control to come roaring back at the Federal level if the Democrats regain control of the House. It will be even worse if the Democrats gain the Senate to stop the 60 vote cloture votes.

Now I think I need an adult beverage or two.

John

njineermike
10-06-2013, 7:56 PM
That door will always be open.

RMP91
10-06-2013, 8:49 PM
I share your concern that the shutdown/debt limit debate will blow up in the face of the Republican majority in the House of Representative. Sometimes I feel the national Republican party wants to follow in the footsteps of the California Republican party and make themselves irrelevant being on the wrong side of the majority of moderate/independent voters. One thing to be ideologically pure and win primaries, quite another to win general elections.

I also expect gun control to come roaring back at the Federal level if the Democrats regain control of the House. It will be even worse if the Democrats gain the Senate to stop the 60 vote cloture votes.

Now I think I need an adult beverage or two.

John

Some good news on that front. Many of the more Liberal political pundits (including quite a few prominent ones!) have gone on the record as stating that the House will stay firmly in Republican hands, even in 2014. After Big O leaves office, however, it's anybody's game. The obverse holds true for the Senate and the Democrats, especially given the ages of several of their more well-known Senators (Feinstein :barf:, for one).

Plus, if the outcome in Colorado recently was *any* different (and it was just by a couple hundred votes for each one that it very well could have) then I would agree that the Democrats are just waiting to take back the House before they go all out on guns again. They became careless and overeager in their attempts thinking that something as terrifying as Newtown would provide the perfect cover for their true motives. I think that that was the only real reason that the push ultimately failed. But you and I both know that thanks to the media, some dumb***k is gonna try and one-up Lanza and the like and do it all over again...

kaligaran
10-06-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm truly scared about the next elections.

As for 2016, I have a feeling the GOP will put another 'Romney' or 'McCain' type up for their ticket.

Condie Rice is who I really want to see make a jump for it. Especially on a run off with Hillary. I think Condie would stomp her and I can't think of another prominent figure in the GOP right now that could.

Unfortunately based on her previous statements to media, she doesn't seem interested in the nomination.

hardlyworking
10-07-2013, 6:52 AM
Condie Rice is who I really want to see make a jump for it. Especially on a run off with Hillary. I think Condie would stomp her and I can't think of another prominent figure in the GOP right now that could.

Unfortunately based on her previous statements to media, she doesn't seem interested in the nomination.

I'm hoping she'll test the waters and come back to the limelight with a run for CA Governor.

As much as I like Donnelly, I don't like his chances on a run for Gov. and the Far Left media would have an absolute field day with him.