PDA

View Full Version : error on my automated firearms system record

hatetank
10-05-2013, 11:13 AM
So i received my afs record today. However there is a handgun on there that i sold via private party thru a local dealer. How should i go about getting this corrected? This transacion occured over 10 years ago dont recall exact date.

bussda
10-06-2013, 3:59 PM
That is not an error. The DOJ does not delete prior owner records from AFS.

hatetank
10-06-2013, 10:51 PM
there are several handguns that i sold this year via ppt that did not appear on my record.

Sakiri
10-07-2013, 1:09 AM
That is not an error. The DOJ does not delete prior owner records from AFS.

Last I checked, the record travels with the gun. If he doesn't own it anymore, it shouldn't be on his record, but the record of the guy that owns it now.

It *may* still have his information as a previous owner, but it shouldn't be listed on his record as current owner.

OP, I think there's a form somewhere to update it but you may need proof of sale. :/

hatetank
10-07-2013, 4:03 AM
I read an old post that said back in the day the records would not drop off even after a transfer but there was a bill recently passed that would start to delete the firearm from your record after the transfer. I hope this is why its still on my record.

hatetank
10-07-2013, 5:31 PM
Spoke to DOJ. First guy didnt have a clue what he was doing/talking about. The second guy did. He was able to see the handgun being sold. So LEO would be able to see that I am no longer in possession of it. PHEW!

berg
10-10-2013, 5:10 PM
You simply file a "Notice of No Longer in Possession" form. http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/forms Ask the DOJ for the date of transaction on the sale.

JoshuaS
10-10-2013, 10:02 PM
The NLIP form is also useful if the gun is destroyed, lost, stolen or you move out of state (where you may or may not sell the gun without government hassle). I moved to VA. Sold some things there. Didn't know about NLIP so not only are those guns on my record, there is no record of their being sold. And I lack any proof for the NLIP

But even guns I have filed it for...they remain on the record. Just marked as no longer in possession

hatetank
10-11-2013, 8:15 PM
i think they fall off your record now. there was a bill that was adopted 3 or 4 years ago that would automatically drop guns off your record as you sell them. there were several handguns i sold via ppt at a shop receently and they are no longer on my record.