PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about picking up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308

tacticalcity
10-04-2013, 12:38 PM
I've been thinking about picking up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 20" Rifle.

I like the AAC-SD version, but I am not sure a threaded barrel is worth an extra $150 in a state where we cannot own suppressors. Still, for some reason I am tempted.

I used to own a Remington 700 5R Milspec, and miss it...but don't want to spend $1000 replacing it.

I don't do a lot of precision shooting. Especially not anything close to 1K yards, so I do not need a massively long barrel.

This purchase would be more about filling a gap in my collection.

Another option is to hold off on this purchase and get a CMMG 308 Lower and go the semi-auto route. For some reason I'm more drawn to the bolt action. Probably because the complete bolt action rifle is only $150 more than the lower half of the semi-auto.

I know SB374 is looming over this purchasing decision, but so is the fact that after 2014 all long gun purchases will be registered.

http://www.cairocz.cz/images/stories/zbrane/Remington/R_700_SPS_Tactical_1.jpg

Planned "Eventual" Upgrades:
- McMillan USA A5 Stock with Adjustable Cheekweld, Adjustable LOP, and Side Flush Cups
- Drop-In Drop Box Magazine Floorplate
- Badger 20 MOA Rail Mount
- Badger Rings
- Leupold Mark 4 Scope

gotshotgun?
10-04-2013, 1:04 PM
Are you set on Remington? If not, look into the Savage 10PC. You get a heck of a lot of features at a very good price and an accurate rifle to boot. Ive heard too many negatives about the hogue stock to buy an sps but I know you will probably be upgrading that in the future with a stock that costs as much as 2/3 of the rifle. ;)

tacticalcity
10-04-2013, 1:12 PM
I'll be replacing the stock when funds are available. I think of it more as packaging than a long term stock. I have a dealer account with McMillan and really like their A5 stock.

Basically this stock...

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/bigbigpig/Rem700-2.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q114/wayne1one/DSCN7629.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1510/rem7002.jpg

ExtremeX
10-04-2013, 1:35 PM
You can always throw a brake or flash hider on the AAC…

Another thing to note is the SPS Tactical has a 1:12 twist, and the AAC-SD has a 1:10 twist.

Justintoxicated
10-04-2013, 2:17 PM
There's only one solution, buy a receiver for both. Granted the receiver is almost as much as the rifle for the bolt action.

Build them out later.

Honestly I'm buying semi auto right now since I fully believe SB 374 will pass, even though I want a bolt action more. I figure I can still get the bolt gun later, even if I have to register it. I mean it's not the first thing they will come after once confiscation begins anyways. That and getting C&R's since once 2014 comes, I doubt I will be building out my collection anymore.

tacticalcity
10-04-2013, 2:20 PM
You can always throw a brake or flash hider on the AAC…

Another thing to note is the SPS Tactical has a 1:12 twist, and the AAC-SD has a 1:10 twist.

Ah man, what did ya have to go and tell me that for?!?!? Didn't know about the difference in twist rate. That does actually matter to me. Maybe I'll hold off a bit until I can afford the AAC-SD. I still have so many other options calling to me to get them in under the deadline.

CobraRed
10-04-2013, 3:09 PM
Ah man, what did ya have to go and tell me that for?!?!? Didn't know about the difference in twist rate. That does actually matter to me. Maybe I'll hold off a bit until I can afford the AAC-SD. I still have so many other options calling to me to get them in under the deadline.

The aac has the different stock, and a shorter threaded barrel that shoot 175's real well because of the fast twist. It's a nice set-up and worth the price, you can always get a muzzle brake.

Made a brake for an AAC myself, actually

http://img8.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/17234/1723434061656ba5d6e8bd797101495858b28388.jpg

NorCalFocus
10-04-2013, 3:13 PM
The 1 in 12 will shoot 168 SMK's really well. If you're not taking out to a grand you shouldn't need the extra weight.

tacticalcity
10-04-2013, 3:14 PM
The stock is not a big selling point for me since I plan to replace it anyway. Half the reason of buying the rifle is to be able to buy the McMillan stock for it. The Hogue Green Ghillie stock will most likely end up on ebay shortly after buying the rifle.

The twist rate is the big selling point for me. I like a faster twist rate. May not need it, but I want it. Same reason I would want a SS V8 over a V6 if buying a Camero. Yeah, mostly ego. But it is nice to know it is there.

I could take or leave the threaded barrel...but it sounds like I'll end up taking it.

Cypriss32
10-04-2013, 3:22 PM
Buy the SPS-T....... Then you will have the extra cash to upgrade stocks. If you decide in fact you want a brake, send it out and have it done. The 1-12 is about as good as it gets with 308. I shot 208gr AMAX out of a 1-12 twist and there is thousands of people who do that too. It works.

BCIII
10-04-2013, 8:02 PM
I love mine. I haven't shot but a few bolt guns for a valid comparison. But out of the box, mine is a damn good shooter. I never did put a brake on it. But upgraded with a detachable mag and a NightForce scope. It's an excellent shooter. I've wanted to replace the Hogue stock, but honestly, I've become used to it. The barrel is free floating, I've checked and rechecked. Not a lot of tolerance, but I can pass folded paper between the stock and barrel. Still, I am constantly looking at stock replacements, but can't come to terms with the cost when I'm more or less comfortable with the one I have.
The rifle will do 800 with hand loads. I haven't really tried to go 1000, yet. I've lobbed a few out just to find the splash. More screwing around than really trying. The gun will do sub moa groups @ 100.
Good luck with your decision making.

Justintoxicated
10-04-2013, 11:28 PM
The aac has the different stock, and a shorter threaded barrel that shoot 175's real well because of the fast twist. It's a nice set-up and worth the price, you can always get a muzzle brake.

Made a brake for an AAC myself, actually

I don't want to be next to you at the range!

TZL
10-05-2013, 8:50 AM
I have the Hogue stock from a AAC if anyone wants? Mine lives in a XLR carbon now :-)