PDA

View Full Version : Buying a gun in another state?

AntiBubba 2.1
01-20-2008, 5:45 PM
OK, so the big Reno gun show is in March. If I were to go, and while there I purchased a firearm (instead of the rare magazines and parts that I go for), is there a legal way to bring them in? For example, when I moved here and declared my residency, I had to document my firearms. As long as the firearms (and magazines, for that matter) aren't on the prohibited list, is there a problem?

And if I have my C&R, does that make a difference?

hoffmang
01-20-2008, 5:53 PM
For C&R firearms if you have an 03-FFL, you can take possession in Nevada. When you return with a handgun you have to file the C&R Handgun Report and pay $19 to the DOJ. Do nothing special with your long guns.

For non C&R firearms, you can pay for them in Nevada and have the seller send them to a CA FFL for transfer. Make sure you have spoken to your CA FFL to know what his transfer price is.

-Gene

dfletcher
01-20-2008, 8:27 PM
OK, so the big Reno gun show is in March. If I were to go, and while there I purchased a firearm (instead of the rare magazines and parts that I go for), is there a legal way to bring them in? For example, when I moved here and declared my residency, I had to document my firearms. As long as the firearms (and magazines, for that matter) aren't on the prohibited list, is there a problem?

And if I have my C&R, does that make a difference?

Since you have a C & R, buy face to face if they're C & Rs, declare when you return. There are always CA FFLs at the show, so in addition to Gene's info I would ad that you can speak with them directly at the show about acquiring non - C & R firearms & transferring through them.

Of course when buying a non - C & R handgun you'll need to ensure it is on the roster. And don't rely on anyone outside CA to be able to tell you whether or not a certain C & R is OK inside CA. I could have bought a MAS 49/56 with suppressor and GL, the seller doesn't know what CA legal or not.