PDA

View Full Version : Advice time, which to buy, what to sell?

smittty
10-02-2013, 9:41 PM
I could use your help with what should be a really easy decision but I feel like I need a slap or something!

I found a Taurus model 62 carbine, something I've been wanting but the price feels about $100 higher than I think it should be. It would end up costing about $450 OTD, is it worth it? I don't feel a need for it other than it would be a fun gun that takes up little space in my safe.

Then on the opposite end of the spectrum I thinking it might be wise to get a 2nd Mossberg 500 before California begins long gun registration. It would cost me $350 OTD. This would be a dedicated HD gun.

My only gun that I would consider for SD is my Ruger LC9. It's my cheapest gun and wouldn't dare risk my "fun" guns being taken away as "evidence" if I ever needed to use them for SD.

I'm selling a savage fvsr and thinking about selling my S&W 15-22. Both take up more space in my safe than I feel they are worth? I feel that they are just really cool replicas.

Would someone please knock some sense into me!

Thanks,

Divernhunter
10-02-2013, 10:41 PM
I say it is your money and life. Buy what you want and sell what you want. If you sell at all.
Buy what you would enjoy using and, if you want, sell what you do not care for or use.

Hairball
10-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Don't sell any of them as you will just end up wanting them in the future and then you have to buy them again...trust me I know. Now if you have a total POS that you really have no interest in then you might be ok but being undecided means you still have some form of attachment to them and you may regret getting rid of them someday.

evolution1974
10-03-2013, 1:33 PM
If you like take down guns then the Taurus 62 carbine is a fun gun to have. Pros: take down, light weight, fun, pump action, small enough for youth and small adults (I have standard and youth stocks), good option for truck or backpacking gun. Cons: soda can accuracy at 25 meters with the bulk ammo I've used, weird safety, spare parts are hard to find and bottom of the list when I go to the range to punch paper. If you are looking for a fun gun it wil fill the role. If precision shooting is what your looking for your S&W 15-22 will perform better than the Taurus 62.

With that said, I would balk at the price becuase precision is more important to me and at that price point I would buy a CZ 452 Trainer/Special or Scout. However, if I was looking for a special purpose gun (take down, backpacking), and long gun registration was around the corner, and considering that the Taurus 62 is no longer made????? Well I'll leave that for you to decide. Good luck.

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/Take%20Down/1859513d_zpsa2ca318b.jpg

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/Take%20Down/2d8119f8_zps61a89c7a.jpg

smittty
10-03-2013, 1:55 PM
I just bought the Taurus model 62 and traded my FVSR.

I only shot the fvsr once to sight it in and it was really accurate but I just wasn't in love with it. I sort of feel the same about my 15-22 but I haven't decided to sell it yet. My kids seem to really like it but I think when they try this model 62 they will enjoy working the action and forget about the other one. I have a really sweet 10/22 Carbine with 16" barrel that shoots equal to the 15-22 but it takes up much less space in my safe.

Thanks for the replies.

russ69
10-03-2013, 3:24 PM
Don't sell any of them as you will just end up wanting them in the future and then you have to buy them again...trust me I know. Now if you have a total POS that you really have no interest in then you might be ok but being undecided means you still have some form of attachment to them and you may regret getting rid of them someday.

I see it's too late but I'm with Hairball.

nastyhabts26
10-03-2013, 3:32 PM
I wouldn't sell anything right now.
Most people regret selling guns unless they really don't like them.
Never hurts to have more than 1 HD shottie in the house.

smittty
10-03-2013, 3:39 PM
I see it's too late but I'm with Hairball.

I have never regret selling/trading anything and I've done a bunch of it. I'm a perfectionist :-) and won't hesitate to let something go that doesn't feel just right. This model 62 may or may not feel right after trying it. If it doesn't it will be traded ASAP.

The guns I have are result of trying many and the few that make the cut are long term keepers. I limit the number as well which only raises the bar.

I used to keep many but I had so many they became a burden. I learned that I hate unloading the entire safe to take out one long gun. For me that is the point that defines too many. I won't go there again. I enjoy them more this way.

rm1911
10-03-2013, 9:53 PM
Im of the sell rarely mindset. I recently sold an older 1100 but a) I already have an 870 b) I never shot it nor would I ever c) I don't bird hunt and when I did (and if I do again) I have my 870 d) I really dislike trap shooting e) had other things I needed and needed to fund. But also didn't buy it but was gifted it a longtime ago by someone who never shot it and said "hey, you're into guns and I've never shot this ..."

Point is it was never anything I ever wanted and wouldn't ever. So it's not even a loss.

The only gun I ever bought that I sold (actually traded) was a super blackhawk in 44 over 20 years ago. I just couldn't ever shoot that thing well. I flinched so bad!! swapped it for a 228 which I love.

It really isn't that difficult to hang onto guns. And they will always be there even if you get away from shooting for many years. I got back into it and they were right there. Like woody from toy story. They never lost faith in me :):)

Keep em. You'll end up regretting selling things. Besides you'll never know which guns your kids will fall in love with!!

Russ Florian
10-17-2013, 8:54 AM
I like to shoot cheap ammo, do you?
just keep what you have.
Grab the SG, a new safe.
Buy a couple AKs (5.45 & 7.62 ) and a Ruger Takedown 22.
enjoy.

SonofWWIIDI
10-17-2013, 9:09 AM
Most people I know who have sold any of their guns usually regret it. I can't tell you how many threads like this one I've read, where people come in and post not to sell, and they recount their tale of woe when they sold gun X.

Don't do it!

6mmintl
10-17-2013, 3:54 PM
I can help you with a good slap for posting another "What if", "What should I do" situational post.

But you seem mature enough to figure it all out yourself or heed the posts to your post above.

Good luck.