PDA

View Full Version : Gunsite Scout, Wait for Stainless

ClassicalLib
10-02-2013, 7:30 PM
All,

I've been looking into getting a Gunsite Scout for quite some time and I am wondering, is it worth the wait to get the stainless. So far, I've been on multiple waiting lists for about 3 months and, wondering if I am making a mountain out of a molehill.

This will be my first rifle made after 1968 and, therefore, the first one I am paying real money for. As far as I read online, the minor difference between the 16.5" vs 18" barrel makes no appreciable difference.

As I frequently shoot Mosin and, although I like cheap ammo, am quite OCD about getting it squeaky clean to prevent the formation of rust... hence stainless being my first choice. The whole point of this endeavor is to have my first gun I can scope with the option of falling back on irons with which I am far more familiar.

So, is stainless worth waiting another few months until Ruger decides to crank out a few more of these?

12ga
10-02-2013, 7:31 PM
In my opinion, it is stainless steel, or not at all.

russ69
10-02-2013, 9:20 PM
In my opinion, it is stainless steel, or not at all.

For sure. I have blued guns but only if SS is not available.

Ironman
10-02-2013, 9:30 PM
Buy stainless if you like it clean and shiny. You will love the Ruger GSR!

Sheepdog1968
10-03-2013, 12:42 AM
The only down side is having to wait from you orig post. Wait it out.

Hairball
10-03-2013, 8:26 AM
Give Faith Armory in Temecula a call. I was in there last week for a 45-70 and they had a SS scout on the rack.

dfletcher
10-03-2013, 10:35 AM
I think a person should get exactly what they want even if it means waiting a bit. I have the GSR in its "blued" version and am very happy with it. I have a few stainless Ruger rifles (mostly their 77V models) and am disappointed in the stainless to the point I'm getting rid of the 77V in 308. It's fairly pale and rough, looks like more of a spray on finish than anything else.

gotshotgun?
10-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Buy it here, now. It's in stock ready to ship.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_59_110/products_id/84858/Ruger+KMK77GS+308+GUNST+18+MATSS

You're welcome. ;)

Nrai2020
10-03-2013, 11:28 AM
All,

I've been looking into getting a Gunsite Scout for quite some time and I am wondering, is it worth the wait to get the stainless. So far, I've been on multiple waiting lists for about 3 months and, wondering if I am making a mountain out of a molehill.

This will be my first rifle made after 1968 and, therefore, the first one I am paying real money for. As far as I read online, the minor difference between the 16.5" vs 18" barrel makes no appreciable difference.

As I frequently shoot Mosin and, although I like cheap ammo, am quite OCD about getting it squeaky clean to prevent the formation of rust... hence stainless being my first choice. The whole point of this endeavor is to have my first gun I can scope with the option of falling back on irons with which I am far more familiar.

So, is stainless worth waiting another few months until Ruger decides to crank out a few more of these?

Where are you located? Tuners in San Bernardino has a few of them.. I think they were about $900 or so?

sjb269
10-27-2013, 4:30 PM
Even with a modest cleaning/maintenance schedule no modern rifle is going to rust away if you turn your back for a few weeks.
With all the Hi tech coatings out there today, get the blued and send the barreled action in to get a custom coating for 75-100 bucks.

GW
10-27-2013, 9:27 PM
You want stainless.
Wait or look harder.
You won't be happy with the blued
As they say... Buy once. Cry once.

TacticalPlinker
10-27-2013, 9:32 PM
I have a horrible habit of not cleaning my guns... But I've yet to have a single incident of rust, ever. My Ruger GunSite is no exception to this.

In fact, I've yet to clean it. I have not shot it much yet because .308 is still expensive, but it's still got the factory oil.

Multra
10-28-2013, 8:25 AM
Get the stainless if you like the look of stainless on a barrel. Other than that it wont make a difference unless you are storing your rifle outside.

kauaibuilt
11-02-2013, 1:24 AM
Dunno where you're at but turners Pasadena had one on the shelf as of yesterday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

CelticMonster
11-02-2013, 8:15 AM
I've always been a fan of stainless primarily due to it's durability in construction. And if you don't like the look, you can always cerakote it to the color you desire while adding an additional layer or protection to your rifle and making it a near indestructible, corrosion resistant firearm.