PDA

View Full Version : blade for diving...

basing110
10-02-2013, 1:41 PM
Going to Hawaii and I would like to get a good knife for snorkeling and diving that I can wear on my arm or leg.... Any recommendations?

Henry Shooter
10-02-2013, 1:43 PM
Get one big enough to kill the tiger sharks that will attack you.

nick
10-02-2013, 1:44 PM
I don't have the link to the one I got handy, but look for a titanium alloy knives with neutral buoyancy.

SunsetIE
10-02-2013, 1:48 PM
I bought this Mako from Scubapro 6-7 years ago and after many dives and uses (prying scallops open) it is still razor sharp! Comes with two adjustable straps that fit small arms to the calf of a 6'4 280lb dude wearing a 7mm fullsuit (me). Took it to Oahu back in march for a few days of diving but never used it.

Around $100 or so, 3.3" blade, less than 7.5" long overall so its rather small. I love the locking sheath, very easy to operate with one hand!
http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/accessories/knives/products/mako-titanium-knife.aspx

ONLY con: its not neutrally buoyant so it will sink if you drop it!

http://www.scubapro.com/media/63187/mako_titanium.jpg

Driftwood
10-02-2013, 2:38 PM
If you get any knife other then the one below you are in grave danger of suffering from a condition call "scuba diving".

Common signs of Scuba Diving are:
-not being able to swim to the bottom of the deep end with out supplemental oxygen
-obesity
-chain smoking
-wearing fins that are too short
-not being legal to spearfish in most countries outside the US

http://www.neptonicsystems.com/spearfishing%20knife.jpg

http://www.neptonicsystems.com/knife.htm

jfifer
10-02-2013, 2:53 PM
Ahahah ^

Since its a short trip, stainless blades are good. A stilleto or a blunt tip, with a line cutter and a button sheath.

jfifer
10-02-2013, 2:54 PM
What island?

NaClAddict
10-17-2013, 4:23 PM
Don't spend too much. Your dive gear is in loan from the ocean. The Mori knives are great.

diveRN
10-17-2013, 4:38 PM
+1. I've had a dozen dive knives over the years and have found that unless you spend big $$$, stainless always pits and eventually corrodes.

I've used this knife recreationally for several years and it's still in good shape.

http://www.scubapro.com/media/63187/mako_titanium.jpg

speedrrracer
10-17-2013, 5:38 PM
Going to Hawaii and I would like to get a good knife for snorkeling and diving that I can wear on my arm or leg.... Any recommendations?

More details would help. If this trip is the only time in your life you'll go snorkeling and diving, you shouldn't spend much (if any) money on a knife. If you're spearfishing, consider a spike instead of a knife. If you're trying to fend off tiger sharks, consider not smoking crack instead of a knife. ;) If you're concerned about fishing line, consider something with a built-in linecutter.

I've been diving for about 30 years, and so I have been able to work up a well-developed idea of how much weight I should wear around my ankle (in the form of a dive knife) and exactly where to position it to keep me in perfect trim as I'm cruising along underwater. This might be something for you to consider, if you know the kind of ankle or arm weight you normally wear.

Also, since we sometimes dive near abalone beds, I went with a titanium knife, because ti knives are more flexible than the various steels, so prying abalone is much easier and safer. They have far superior corrosion resistance, so because we're in and around the ocean so much, it's a big payoff.

However, if you're mainly using them on land, you'll find they aren't as easy to sharpen and don't hold an edge as well as the various steels.

This is probably a good start:

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-30/024060/XS-Scuba-Titanium-Knife.html

I wouldn't recommend a point unless you're experienced handling knives underwater, and have a specific use case.

Generally I recommend a custom holster as a must-have, but such things take time to develop, and if this is just a "for this vacation only" purchase, it's probably unnecessary.

If you will just be using it in the ocean for this one trip, then get something like:
http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/details/18/10/military-knives/a1bz

as it will function in the salt water well enough, you can give it the babying it will require in that environment, and then once you're back on land you'll have a great knife which is primarily suited for land.

Chaparral
10-17-2013, 7:08 PM
I used to carry a filet knife and it worked good for getting scallops out of the shell in situ. Less weight to haul back onto the boat.

Spawn
10-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Please get any of the Spyderco blades with H1 steel. Super rust resistant and sharp.

bohoki
10-20-2013, 12:17 AM
this looks ok

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Scuba-Diving-Stainless-Steel-Fixed-Blade-Knife-Survival-Hunting-Serrated-/121190366704

Brujo
10-21-2013, 1:04 PM
Army surplus store get what ever 420 stainless blade you can find that floats your boat that you can figure out how to attach to yourself. Good knives and the ocean do not mix. I get a new dive knife every couple of years. Not even cheap 420 will hold up to saltwater.

basing110
10-28-2013, 5:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies... I will having the knife on vacations where I will be snorkeling usually.once a year but I plan on also using it during the summer while snorkling in la Jolla shores area... Want to get into spear fishing or lobster diving eventually

NaClAddict
12-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Hey speed, where are you diving that it's legal to use a knife to pry abalone? Have you really found that a few ounces of knife affect your trim underwater?
Also guys I know have found titanium to snap rather than bend making it a poor prying choice. As far as points being dangerous underwater, they're no more dangerous than on land. The only real dangerous times are re-sheathing and braining a big fish. In the case of a fish the spike is almost as dangerous.

OP-for snorkeling you really don't need a knife. For most lobstering and spearing a knife is rarely used until you start killing fish over 20 lbs. most new divers lose a lot of gear. I think a blade for Cali diving is good to have. Lots of monofilament and spectra braided lines out there. But until you you start diving more I would hold off or get a cheapie. On another board I'm on dedicated to spear fishing most guys are using knives under $60. One of the most popular ones is only about $20 and can be found on neptonics.com. Neptonics is a great sight that only carries quality gear.

I have been diving for over two decades now. I have never used a knife that costs more than $30. Rust free stainless doesn't hold an edge well. A little rust doesn't affect the knife. Just rinse when done and you'll get years out of any stainless. I personally go for something with a point, flat blade, serrated edge, and a hole for a wrist lanyard. Don't worry about the line cutter notch, they're useless.

Flyin Brian
01-03-2014, 9:44 AM
Also, since we sometimes dive near abalone beds, I went with a titanium knife, because ti knives are more flexible than the various steels, so prying abalone is much easier and safer. They have far superior corrosion resistance, so because we're in and around the ocean so much, it's a big payoff.

You're doing it wrong:

DFG REGS - 29.15.(e) Abalone irons must be less than 36 inches long, straight or with a
curve having a radius of not less than 18 inches, and must not be less than 3/4 inch wide nor less than
1/16 inch thick. All edges must be rounded and free of sharp edges. Knives, screwdrivers and sharp
instruments are prohibited.

ffjdh
01-12-2014, 9:20 AM

Where are you diving that you can use a knife to pop abs?