PDA

View Full Version : From today's Chron...

EastBayRidge
01-20-2008, 12:04 PM
"Eagle attacks condor: A golden eagle attacked and probably killed the only known condor that has been hatched in the wild of Monterey County in 100 years, reports the Ventana Wildlife Society. The condor, fully grown at the time of the attack, fought off the eagle but hasn't been seen since."

No word if the eagle had been collecting lead bullets and force-feeding them to the condor... :rolleyes:

RRangel
01-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Ban the eagles!

Gryff
01-20-2008, 12:34 PM
"Eagle attacks condor: A golden eagle attacked and probably killed the only known condor that has been hatched in the wild of Monterey County in 100 years, reports the Ventana Wildlife Society. The condor, fully grown at the time of the attack, fought off the eagle but hasn't been seen since."

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California) called for the immediate implementation of a ban on all assault weapon and lead ammunition sales to eagles and other raptors in the United States. She is currently considering expansion of this proposed ban to include all members of avian species.

Feinstein, speaking before the Society for Selective Recognition of the Constitution, stated, "Allowing birds to arm themselves in this way serves no purpose and results in the degradation of American safety and values, an increase in interest rates, resurgence of financial recession, and rising gasoline prices. We must put an end to this threat before it tears America apart."

fairfaxjim
01-20-2008, 12:37 PM
"Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California) called for the immediate implementation of a ban on all assault weapon and lead ammunition sales to eagles and other raptors in the United States. She is currently considering expansion of this proposed ban to include all members of avian species."

I say arm the condors, lot less of them to deal with!

CSACANNONEER
01-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California) called for the immediate implementation of a ban on all assault weapon and lead ammunition sales to eagles and other raptors in the United States. She is currently considering expansion of this proposed ban to include all members of avian species.

Feinstein, speaking before the Society for Selective Recognition of the Constitution, stated, "Allowing birds to arm themselves in this way serves no purpose and results in the degradation of American safety and values, an increase in interest rates, resurgence of financial recession, and rising gasoline prices. We must put an end to this threat before it tears America apart."

The Constitution doesn't say anything about arming our feathered friends it only protects the right to keep and arm bears! BTW, when will California's eagle season start this year?

Santa Cruz Armory
01-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Great! :rolleyes: somehow the Demotards will blame us gun owners for this to!

They'll say the lead ammo in the carcasses that the eagle ate made it go crazy and kill the condor... UCSC is working on the study as we speak.

Patriot
01-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Great! :rolleyes: somehow the Demotards will blame us gun owners for this to!

They'll say the lead ammo in the carcasses that the eagle ate made it go crazy and kill the condor... UCSC is working on the study as we speak.

The hunters killed off the normal prey species and disrupted the food chain, forcing the eagle to kill condor in order to survive. This was accentuated by diminishing roaming area as a result of housing development that forced the two species into close proximity. :rolleyes:

Fate
01-20-2008, 1:48 PM
I love eagles. :43:

kap
01-20-2008, 1:58 PM
Only 301 yellow buzzards to go.

USN CHIEF
01-20-2008, 2:04 PM
In all seriousness, why don't they clone the Condors? I mean, they were able to clone a sheep, why not start clonning endarged species.. But then again, that would make sense...

DRM6000
01-20-2008, 2:06 PM
how the hell is that newsworthy?

USN CHIEF
01-20-2008, 2:10 PM
how the hell is that newsworthy?

It could be newsworthy because some dumbass will be lead to believe that it was related to lead ammunition used by hunters that made the eagle go :nuts: :eek:

Patriot
01-20-2008, 2:13 PM
In all seriousness, why don't they clone the Condors? I mean, they were able to clone a sheep, why not start clonning endarged species.. But then again, that would make sense...

It depends...technically, you could prevent total extinction, but if the available environment can't sustain any number of condors (natural or cloned), then it is of limited use in the long-term.

dixieD
01-20-2008, 3:25 PM

You should consider posting at DiFi's website. I am sure she won't read it, but maybe it can help one of her minions how rediculous their mistress is.

Go Eagles!

dixieD
01-20-2008, 3:27 PM
It depends...technically, you could prevent total extinction, but if the available environment can't sustain any number of condors (natural or cloned), then it is of limited use in the long-term.

Exactly and violates basic Darwinism.

dfletcher
01-20-2008, 6:14 PM
I guess the eagle can't read very well - thou shalt not eat endangered species.

IIRC, a similar thing happened in France - unkown to each other, one fellow was showing off his rare bird a few blocks away from another guy who was demonstrating the flying skills of his falcon. As crowds on each side watched, the falcon disappeared above the roof tops, swooped down and then returned with its lunch de jour. I don't know which would have been funnier - the poor guy seeing his little birdie carted off or the look on the face of the falcon owner when the bird returned.

M. Sage
01-20-2008, 6:32 PM

Not to mention the fact that you wouldn't be able to breed cloned condors, since they'd be even more limited in their genetic variety...

Higbean
01-20-2008, 8:00 PM
HA HA. I hope there were a bunch of bird watchers that saw the whole thing.

As for cloning, I think if they are gonna clone something, they should start with a T-Rex. Or Chuck Norris. Or both and let them fight.

TKM
01-20-2008, 8:37 PM
Completely off topic of course.

Where can I buy Feinstein and/or Boxer a nice Condor looking hat. You know, for opening day at Del Mar. I believe it's bring your Eagle to the track day.

Solidmch
01-20-2008, 8:43 PM
I say arm the condors, lot less of them to deal with!

They wont issue CCW's to them if there in Alameda County!!! Unless they know someone!

tyrist
01-20-2008, 8:49 PM
Species have only been going extinct since the beggining of life. But a bunch of scientists in their brilliance get to determine which ones should not be dying out.

Army
01-21-2008, 1:19 AM
"Breaking news!! Today, nature worked as designed. Film at 11!"

schizrade2
01-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Last I read, Condors have been on a slow decline since before man stepped foot on this continent. They have been around a long time. But what does science know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Condor

WolfMansDad
01-21-2008, 11:00 AM
If eagles (or feral cats or wild ferrets or very aggressive pigeons) eat all the condors, does the lead ammo ban go away?

chickenfried
01-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Damn that Glenn Frey