PDA

View Full Version : New SPS Tactical barrel not centered in stock

connorr931
10-02-2013, 9:33 AM
Just picked up this 700 from my LGS and when I got it home I noticed that the barrel is way off center from the stock. I assume that the chassis is not centered correctly on the receiver.

Is this a problem? I assume this would effect the barrel harmonics of the rifle since the 700 SPS Tactical has a free float barrel. In the last picture you can see that the barrel is not actually touching the stock. This is because I am holding the rifle in the air. When the front is sitting on the bipod it does touch.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx215/connorr93/IMG_0249_zps30f98ad2.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx215/connorr93/IMG_0250_zps6094dda3.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx215/connorr93/IMG_0251_zpsff916ef5.jpg

Merc1138
10-02-2013, 9:37 AM
Could be an issue when that forend flexes. Stuff like this is why people pay more for better stocks.

TACTICAL
10-02-2013, 9:44 AM
I bought one a few years back and it also is touching.
I have shot it out to 350 yards consistently with no issues.

tacticalcity
10-02-2013, 9:45 AM
McMillan custom fiberglass stock. They have a discount section for stocks people cancelled on. Call and get help ordering the correct one. A nice A5 in GAP camo would be cool.

NorCalFocus
10-02-2013, 9:57 AM
If its the plastic tupperware SPS stock. Replace it. I got one and thought everyone was just telling me to spend my money. Took it to the range one time and it twisted all over the damn place.

They're alot of options out there for aftermarket stocks. I personally went with a Boyds Laminate thumbhole. Its the best value going I think.

PolishMike
10-02-2013, 9:58 AM
Pretty typical with a hogue stock. If you are looking to hit a deer at 100yds it wont matter, if you are shooting long distance competitions it might

russ69
10-02-2013, 12:53 PM
It doesn't look like it's touching but if it is, sand it until it doesn't.

Wrangler John
10-02-2013, 1:12 PM
It may be the recoil lug is clocked a bit to the side with the larger gap, forcing the barrel over in the channel. This is a common thing with Remington actions. Have that checked before sanding and messing up the stock. All that is required is loosening the barrel, resetting the lug, preferably using either the correct action wrench that holds the lug in alignment, or an action mounted jig, and re-torquing the barrel. I'd give Remington a call, pain that it may be, and either return it or contact these guys, the local repair service for Remington:

J&G Gunsmithing
7680 Barton Rd.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
(916) 786-9200

Remington notice:

To provide enhanced repair and return service, we are now requiring that consumers contact our customer service team at: 800-243-9700 to obtain a Service Request Number (SRN) prior to shipping any product to the Company or Authorized Service Center. This will allow for improved tracking of returns and ensure all consumers benefit from a faster and more reliable process.

It should be covered under warranty, although shipping may not be. You can ship and receive a rifle directly to and from a repair station or gunsmith without having to do a DROS.

6mmintl
10-02-2013, 2:11 PM
Scrap all the excess molding material off of aluminum v-block/chassis and then fit it in the stock to check barrel location.

It will still need bedding around front of action to port opening, recoil lug, and rear tang seat.

nickel_1022
10-02-2013, 8:50 PM
Dude junk that stock like I did...I have the AAC REM 700... Look at tactical works and at the choate stock with badger m5 kit. It's awesome. $530 I think.

fonzy
10-02-2013, 10:10 PM
This is normal for the stock. There are tons of threads in forums everywhere of people complaining about this stock.

ar15barrels
10-03-2013, 12:17 AM
It doesn't look like it's touching but if it is, sand it until it doesn't.

He said the barrel touches when he rests the rifle's weight on the bipod.
This is typical of the SPS stocks.
They are not strong enough to hold the weight of the barrel and keep the barrel free floated.
That is why anyone serious about accuracy throws the SPS stocks in the trash and drops the barreled action into a better quality stock.

Wrangler John
10-03-2013, 5:02 AM
Good grief!

It just frosts my widget! I should have checked the Remington SPS Tactical specs before posting, because I never found a Hogue overmoulded stock that would position the barrel straight or flex less than a banana peel. I have one sitting in the stock scrap pile right now, one with a aluminum chassis, that wouldn't shoot worth a damn. Barrel sat crooked in the channel, but the recoil lug was okay. Remington should know better.

I'm just as guilty as the next guy - fix the problems myself because returning a rifle is such a pain in the @$$. I have found this stock good though - a bit heavier than the Hogue, but at least it's straight and minimal flex, and for $264 + shipping, it's a good value: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-553/bell-carlson-medalist-tactical/Detail Still, you shouldn't have pay more money to make a manufacturer's product work. Okay, rant over.

CS Sports
10-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Before you go changing stocks, you might want to verify that it is actually the stock that is the problem. I'd bet that it's not.

Remington 700 are notorious for having action threads crooked as a dogs hind leg. A rifle just left my shop that exhibited exactly what you see.

I ended up pulling the barrel, single pointing the threads true to the centerline of the bolt raceway and fitting a new barrel. The barrel is exactly centered the the stock now, with no other work.

The problem with trying to correct a problem as I described by changing the stock or bedding is that you will end up putting the action in a bind and creating a situation where recoil is not pushing the action straight to the rear.