PDA

View Full Version : How does DA Dumanis (San Diego) treat OLL possessions?

GI-M1
01-19-2008, 9:25 PM
This was in todays "Letter to the Editor" in the San Diego Union-Tribune (see below).

Has anyone heard what side of the fence Bonnie Dumanis falls on when it comes to OLL's? It would be nice to know what the 'opinion' is of the San Diego DA's office about OLL's.

Has there ever been a 'documented' incident of an OLL prosecution in San Diego?

She says in the letter that she is a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment,,,,I got a different impression about her when I heard her campaign speeches.

DA responds on handgun ban

Regarding “District attorney wants D.C. handgun ban upheld” (Around Our Region, Jan. 14):

The story reported that “District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis announced Friday she is urging the U.S. Supreme Court to uphold a ban on handguns in Washington, D.C.” That report was misleading. I joined with 17 other DAs across the country in urging the high court to uphold the existing laws against the illegal use and possession of guns in that jurisdiction. Many jurisdictions, including our own, prohibit a convicted felon from owning a gun. For the record, the issue here is public safety. In joining with the other DAs from across the nation, I am trying to ensure that law enforcement can continue to do its job. This is not a challenge to the Second Amendment, of which I am a strong supporter.

BONNIE M. DUMANIS
District Attorney
San Diego

USN CHIEF
01-19-2008, 9:31 PM
I have not heard of any incidents here in San Dog.. And to this date, I have not seen an OLL in person while at the range or in any of the gunshops here in San Diego...

Shotgun Man
01-19-2008, 9:43 PM

Regarding “District attorney wants D.C. handgun ban upheld” (Around Our Region, Jan. 14):

The story reported that “District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis announced Friday she is urging the U.S. Supreme Court to uphold a ban on handguns in Washington, D.C.” That report was misleading. I joined with 17 other DAs across the country in urging the high court to uphold the existing laws against the illegal use and possession of guns in that jurisdiction. Many jurisdictions, including our own, prohibit a convicted felon from owning a gun. For the record, the issue here is public safety. In joining with the other DAs from across the nation, I am trying to ensure that law enforcement can continue to do its job. This is not a challenge to the Second Amendment, of which I am a strong supporter.

BONNIE M. DUMANIS
District Attorney
San Diego

Her response sounds like a lot of gobblety-gook.

She is saying she is "urging the high court to uphold the existing laws against the illegal use and possession of guns in that [i.e., DC's] jurisdiction." Yet she claims to support the 2nd Amendment.

It sounds contradictory. Certainly, she could have stated her position more clearly.

CalNRA
01-19-2008, 10:47 PM
I joined with 17 other DAs across the country in urging the high court to uphold the existing laws against the illegal use and possession of guns in that jurisdiction.

as in the total ban on functional firearms?

:rolleyes:

great, the 2nd gives us rights to own guns, but not functional ones, which is illegal there, so "I" am against the illegal acts of owning functional guns by otherwise law-abiding people. Great.

Crazed_SS
01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
I have not heard of any incidents here in San Dog.. And to this date, I have not seen an OLL in person while at the range or in any of the gunshops here in San Diego...

I've seen a couple people with OLL stuff here. DGM sells OLLs now.. I sold them mine :). There was also a guy shooting a USC w/ raddlock there. Royal Loan transfers lowers. There had one on display for sale last time I was there. There was a SDPD Sgt. there looking at it. Last time I was at Project 2000 one guy had an Off-list AR and AK.. so yea, there's a good amount of people with OLL stuff here.. the only "incidents" I've heard of are the one guy getting his Saiga taken during the 10 day wait.

About the DA here.. She is EXTREMELY pro-LE. She goes out of her way to side with the police. Remember that SD Sherriff's Deputy who killed his wife? The DA joined with the defense to try to get him an easier sentence.. http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071220/news_1m20bruce.html

Remember with that Coronado Cop shot Charger Steve Foley? Well she determined he did nothing wrong.. http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/breaking/2007/12/da_clears_officer_who_shot_cha.html

jkasandiego
01-22-2008, 12:40 PM

Next time i'll be shooting in SBRGC, i'll let let you shoot my stag,Grizzley and Mega:):)

ldivinag
01-22-2008, 4:14 PM
maybe she meant only muskets...

dwtt
01-22-2008, 8:17 PM

I joined with 17 other DAs across the country in urging the high court to uphold the existing laws against the illegal use and possession of guns in that jurisdiction. Many jurisdictions, including our own, prohibit a convicted felon from owning a gun.
BONNIE M. DUMANIS
District Attorney
San Diego
Bonnie Dumanis is a liar.
The case before the supreme court is about the prohibition of law abiding citizens who have never been convicted of any crimes from owning firearms. It's not about removing the prohibition of convicted felons from owning firearms. She's a pretty good liar, just like many anti-gun zealots.

JALLEN
01-22-2008, 8:25 PM
There have been OLLs seen at ranges, but I think many of the knowledgeable owners are being circumspect for now, at least until some reliable guidance is available.

There was a fellow with a SBR, a really EBR, at a range I sometimes go to some months ago. I got into a discussion about it and he claimed he had DOJ permits for it, due to some sort of executive protection/security business he was in.

Since the range I use most often has AR-15 rentals, seeing one in use is no big deal, at least there.

artherd
01-22-2008, 9:25 PM

BONNIE M. DUMANIS
District Attorney
San Diego

This is so egregiously and obviously incorrect, I have a hard time believing it was done unknowingly. She should be brought up on charges; I want her ****ing bar card.

Satex
01-23-2008, 7:29 AM
This is so egregiously and obviously incorrect, I have a hard time believing it was done unknowingly.

Well folks, the DA is an elected official, all of you are more than encouraged to write her polite letters asking her to explain her conflicting position about this case.

grammaton76
01-23-2008, 4:44 PM
There have been OLLs seen at ranges, but I think many of the knowledgeable owners are being circumspect for now, at least until some reliable guidance is available.

Heh, SD county is a varied place. If you hit Iron Sights up in Oceanside, it's rare to have time when you DON'T have someone shooting an OLL or two. I end up spending half my time telling folks where to go get themselves a PS90CA, for instance. I've also never been hassled by LE beyond asking where they can get one.

American Shooting Center, down in San Diego, is also OLL-friendly. I don't think they're as crawling with 'em as Iron Sights though.

On the other hand, the shooters at South Bay Rod+Gun were, at least as of early 2006, OLL-hostile to the point of telling OLL owners to show papers or go away. I have heard they've lightened up, however.

There was a fellow with a SBR, a really EBR, at a range I sometimes go to some months ago. I got into a discussion about it and he claimed he had DOJ permits for it, due to some sort of executive protection/security business he was in.

You saw him at Iron Sights, with an FS2000 and an SBR'ed AR, right? I've heard some interesting stories about him - you ought to stay far, far away. I know a guy who's made allegations that he attempted to entrap him with some FA parts and an un-requested SBR conversion to his AR which he had to actually get rude to him to get him NOT to do.

Moreover, I've heard a lot of unofficial noises that SD county prosecutors aren't very interested in pursuing OLL owners as long as there aren't any allegations of federal violations (but if someone claims they heard full auto fire, you're probably going to get hassled). All in all it's a pretty good county to be in as long as you're not dressed like a gang banger and can clearly articulate the reasons why your rifle is legal. I've seen enough blatantly illegal rifles (unscrewed prince50 screw locks in particular) at ranges here, without the owners getting hauled off, to believe they're really combing over people for legality.

Satex
01-23-2008, 6:14 PM
On the other hand, the shooters at South Bay Rod+Gun were, at least as of early 2006, OLL-hostile to the point of telling OLL owners to show papers or go away. I have heard they've lightened up, however.

SBR&GC (http://www.sbrgc.org/) is OLL friendly and you see OLLs, and pretty much anything else out there. The only time the ROs get bent out of shape is if someone doesn't follow the safety rules.

USN CHIEF
01-23-2008, 7:39 PM
SBR&GC (http://www.sbrgc.org/) is OLL friendly and you see OLLs, and pretty much anything else out there. The only time the ROs get bent out of shape is if someone doesn't follow the safety rules.

That is the only range that I go to. I have several registered AW's and I have never been questioned or asked if they are registered.. Been going there for over a year now and have not met APIA RO yet, they all seem so freenly and they are all volunteers:) Best place to go shooting here in San Diego County.

GuyW
01-24-2008, 1:29 PM
Dumanis is a liar, as is Herr Kolendar - they both claim to be pro-2nd while doing otherwise.

GuyW
05-20-2008, 3:54 PM
Whhoooops, restating the previous posts...

Dumanis is a liar, as is Herr Kolendar - they both claim to be pro-2nd while doing otherwise.

As partial proof, Dumanis signed the "District Attorneys" brief against the 2nd Amendment:

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/amicus-briefs-for-dc-available-in-guns-case/

...stinkin' RINO....

bwiese
05-20-2008, 4:32 PM

You saw him at Iron Sights, with an FS2000 and an SBR'ed AR, right?

I've heard some interesting stories about him - you ought to stay far, far away.
I know a guy who's made allegations that he attempted to entrap him with some
FA parts and an un-requested SBR conversion to his AR which he had to actually
get rude to him to get him NOT to do.

Unsure if these guys 'overlap', but there was a fairly prominent Socal ARFcommer that had somehow tagged on to a Vegas C3 dealer's paperwork and thought he could take 'dealer samples' around in an unrestrained way. Busted by BATF (I think along with dealer) and disappeared for a short time but is back out & about, obviously "working things off". I was warned about this by a knowledgeable ARFcommer familiar with the Vegas situation.

This smells very very bad. Anyone that could get DOJ permits for ultraEBRs - and were actually in such a biz - would be unlikely to harangue others to do illegal mods.

Hell, good ol' FFLs who had DOJ AW permits lost those (discretionary) permits when they were touting OLLs by demoing real (registered/ permitted) AWs at gunshows. [Apparently DOJ AW permits suppress freedom of speech.]

dfletcher
05-20-2008, 4:42 PM
I have no idea what her position is - having to explain one's explanation is not a good thing, unless you're a low level politician.

JALLEN
05-20-2008, 9:13 PM
Unsure if these guys 'overlap', but there was a fairly prominent Socal ARFcommer that had somehow tagged on to a Vegas C3 dealer's paperwork and thought he could take 'dealer samples' around in an unrestrained way. Busted by BATF (I think along with dealer) and disappeared for a short time but is back out & about, obviously "working things off". I was warned about this by a knowledgeable ARFcommer familiar with the Vegas situation.

This smells very very bad. Anyone that could get DOJ permits for ultraEBRs - and were actually in such a biz - would be unlikely to harangue others to do illegal mods.

Hell, good ol' FFLs who had DOJ AW permits lost those (discretionary) permits when they were touting OLLs by demoing real (registered/ permitted) AWs at gunshows. [Apparently DOJ AW permits suppress freedom of speech.]

I doubt it very much, but who knows. The fellow I described had a SBR, and gave me the website references to look up the process. My initial impression was that he was some sort of military. He had something to do with executive protection, IIRC. I don't consider that he did any haranguing, not to me. I approached him, asked some questions, heard his answers about getting permitsd/registration from DOJ, and later looked them up. He was a fairly young man, but of course, at my age, almost all of them are, clean cut, polite, fairly well spoken, and it wasn't at Ironsights. AFAIK, this rifle wasn't full auto or anything, just real short.

Hunter158
05-21-2008, 6:39 AM
Here are some excerpts from the petition she signed...

"The District Attorneys respectfully submit that the
three D.C. Code provisions at issue in this appeal do not
violate the Second Amendment, thus necessitating a
reversal of the lower court’s decision.
<SNIP>
the District Attorneys urge the Court to consider the
potentially negative, unintended, and wholly
unnecessary consequences of an affirming
opinion. In short, an affirmance could inadvertently call
into question the well settled Second Amendment
principles under which countless state and local criminal
firearms laws have been upheld by courts nationwide.
for nearly seventy years, courts have consistently
sustained criminal firearms laws against Second
Amendment challenges by holding that, inter alia,
(i) the Second Amendment provides only a militia-related
right to bear arms, (ii) the Second Amendment does not
apply to legislation passed by state or local governments,
and (iii) the restrictions bear a reasonable relationship
to protecting public safety and thus do not violate a
personal constitutional right. The lower court’s decision,
however, creates a broad private right to possess any
firearm that is a “lineal descendant” of a founding era
weapon and that is in “common use” with a “military
application” today.

By signing this document she is saying that she does not believe the previous restrictions in DC were a infringement on the peoples 2nd amendment rights, AND that the Second Amendment ONLY provides for a militia-related
right!!! AND that the States can override the Second Amendment at will.

I do like that their document says the overturning "creates a broad private right to possess any firearm that is a “lineal descendant” of a founding era
weapon and that is in “common use” with a “military application” today". Therefore, more than just semi-auto.... :D

motorhead
05-21-2008, 6:56 AM
the d.a.'s office in s.d. has always been just an extension for l.e. . dumanis is no different. i wouldn't worry too much right now, she's busy playing c.y.a. over the botched murder case. that was probably the kiss of death for her careeer.
to see oll's, go to jacumba. there was even a 1919 on a tripod out there last time i went.

GenLee
05-21-2008, 7:47 AM
SBR&G is completely Oll friendly, I and my buddies shoot there all the time. We have 4-6 of them there on a regular basis the RO are all abunch of good guy's. As far as the DA is concerened, I don't know, but it sure looks to me from going to SBR&G that LE has climbed aboard, as they are shooting them a the club. I quit taking OLL to Jucumba though as I heard horor stoties of the Rangers there taking OLL but these are stories I have heard that I have no facts on.

MFortie
05-21-2008, 7:51 AM

Agreed. I was there just two weeks ago with my OLL and nobody blinked an eye.

SDJoe
05-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Chief,

There's at least one older shooter out at SBRGC that has an AR-15 style rifle with a bullet button...

I've always assumed it was an OLL, but never asked him.

He's usually out there on Wednesdays shooting...

jkasandiego
05-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Chief,

There's at least one older shooter out at SBRGC that has an AR-15 style rifle with a bullet button...

I've always assumed it was an OLL, but never asked him.

He's usually out there on Wednesdays shooting...

Those are the guys practicing highpower shooting. That could be Mike shooting his reg. rifle.:)

PolishMike
05-21-2008, 10:45 AM

Thats not true. You were standing right next to me when I was shooting my AR OLL and AK OLL.

DGM sells lowers.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed the date of your post. Before you met me. Sorry.

Satex
05-21-2008, 11:33 AM

Maybe if you quit checking out men and their "man card" you would have time to see that there are OLLs all around you!