PDA

View Full Version : SB 374 and Unconverted to Converted Saiga

jhj32883
09-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Hello,

I was hoping to get some opinions on a situation I'm thinking about. I'm considering purchasing a Saiga 308 and converting it to pistol grip configuration at a later date to save money.

I'm wondering how SB 374 would apply in this particular situation. The Saiga in its stock sporter configuration does not require a bullet button. If SB 374 passes I was going to register it in its sporter configuration.

After it's registered can I legally convert the Saiga to a pistol grip configuration at a later date if I simply add a bullet button? Or does it have to be converted with bullet button prior to registering it?

Thanks,
Jay

dyson
09-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Under Sb 374 the Saiga will be a registered AW like all the rest, bbuttons will no longer be needed, nor would adding a pgrip matter.

You would still deal with fed laws for the conversion tho...922r

North Bay Guy
10-01-2013, 2:32 AM
In the case of an unconverted Sega, it will be considered an assault weapon in it's unconverted state. If SB374 becomes law pistol grip or not it must be registered. All center fire semi auto rifle with detachable magazines must be registered. Once registered as an assault weapon I think features are irrelevant.

In other words, I'd wait and see what happens. If it passes register it convert it and skip the bullet button. If it fails and you'd like to convert it then a BB is needed.

stix213
10-01-2013, 12:11 PM
This has been debated to death. Some people who haven't read the law thoroughly believe current BB and featureless requirements will still apply. There is a chance the DOJ would try to do that via regulation, but the bill as written does not support that. It is also unlikely because it would drastically complicate enforcement of AW law on RAWs unnecessarily.

stix213
10-01-2013, 12:14 PM
In the case of an unconverted Sega, it will be considered an assault weapon in it's unconverted state. If SB374 becomes law pistol grip or not it must be registered. All center fire semi auto rifle with detachable magazines must be registered. Once registered as an assault weapon I think features are irrelevant.

In other words, I'd wait and see what happens. If it passes register it convert it and skip the bullet button. If it fails and you'd like to convert it then a BB is needed.

You can still run it featureless if SB 374 is vetoed using a wing grip on the pistol grip. This offers the improved balance and trigger of a converted rifle, while still able to quickly drop mags. I did this on my 7.62x39.

calgunner1138
10-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Is there anything like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idkP5n8BhdY) for a Saiga?

Chatterbox
10-02-2013, 9:12 AM
Is there anything like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idkP5n8BhdY) for a Saiga?

No, but you could quite easily convert it to bolt-action rifle by removing the gas piston. That would make it a non semi-automatic rifle - Brits did it when their ban on semi-auto went into effect in the 90s.

UberPatriot
10-02-2013, 9:15 AM
In that case I'll get a folding stock for my Mini 14. :)