PDA

View Full Version : PPT from another state?

hoit624
09-30-2013, 3:35 PM
Greetings, ladies and gentleman. I'm hoping for some help from you here.

I've had my eye on a Sig 716 (7.62 Rifle) for a while now. However, prices here in CA gun stores are ridiculous. Outside of the state there are very few sellers on gunbroker will make it CA compliant before shipping. And if I were to by online, the tax payment necessary upon pickup would make it even more expensive. All of this combined, I'm wondering if this path would work:

I have a family member whom lives in Oregon. As Oregon has no sales tax, I would pay tax on only the “purchase” amount upon transfer in CA. By going this route, the need for a bullet button to be installed by the seller is gone as well, therefore saving another $35 (Of course, I will have my family member install it once we do the PPT here in CA, and well before it's brought into the state, obviously).

Now that I have my game plan out there, here are my questions:

1. Is it possible for me to do a PPT with this family member by having them mail it an FFL here in CA? Or would they have to bring it all the way down to SoCal and be present for initial transfer paperwork?

2. Is there going to be any blowback or questions asked for having my family member buy the rifle, then a short time later doing a PPT with me here? Or will CA and Oregon state DOJ even talk to each other?

3. Will my family member need to fill out a "no longer in ownership" form for CA? Last thing I want is for them to be tied to anything that has to do with CA.

Please feel free to poke holes in logic, or give me any advice/thoughts. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Librarian
09-30-2013, 5:40 PM
PPT is for participants who all have California ID.

What you seem to propose is an interstate transfer - see the wiki article http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

You cannot provide funds for the purchase in OR - see the next wiki article -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Straw_Purchase. Your OR relatives may not buy a gun with the intention of reselling it to you (but could legally give such a gun as a gift).

CA and OR will not talk to each other.

hoit624
10-01-2013, 1:04 PM
Thank you Librarian, greatly appreciated! Feel free to close thread if you wish.

edgerly779
10-01-2013, 1:06 PM
Librarian always has the proper answer. Nice to have him in this site.

jason8055
10-01-2013, 8:30 PM
hes a walking wiki