PDA

View Full Version : Disassembled OLL AR or PTR-91 legal?

mclovin
01-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I am a California resident currently serving in the Army on Active Duty and stationed in New Mexico. My wife and I will likely be moving back to California for a few years once my enlistment is done.

I am currently considering purchasing an AR or a PTR-91, but am reluctant to do so as I am not interested in violating CA state laws, having to sell the guns at a loss, or altering the rifle's functionality to render it CA legal. I would prefer to just keep them disassembled and stored until I leave the state.

Is it currently legal for me to bring a standard configuration OLL AR and/or a PTR-91 if I maintain them in a fully disassembled state for the duration of my stay in California?

Hopi
01-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the forum!

If the rifles are truly off-list, then you can import them in a disassembled or CA-compliant configuration. Make sure to read the FAQ here before you reassemble them while in the state.

Enjoy your stay!

Lateralus
01-19-2008, 11:39 AM
^ What hopi said.

Thank you for your service!!

Hopi
01-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I still haven't seen that movie yet........

ghettoshecky
01-19-2008, 2:38 PM
I am a California resident currently serving in the Army on Active Duty and stationed in New Mexico. My wife and I will likely be moving back to California for a few years once my enlistment is done.

I am currently considering purchasing an AR or a PTR-91, but am reluctant to do so as I am not interested in violating CA state laws, having to sell the guns at a loss, or altering the rifle's functionality to render it CA legal. I would prefer to just keep them disassembled and stored until I leave the state.

Is it currently legal for me to bring a standard configuration OLL AR and/or a PTR-91 if I maintain them in a fully disassembled state for the duration of my stay in California?

Obtaining an Assault Weapons Permit for Active Duty Military Personnel:

Any person on active military duty with current, valid permanent change of station orders for duty in the State of California may apply for a DOJ Assault Weapon Permit for personal possession and or transportation of personally owned assualt weapons(s).

Does not apply for those under the age of 18.

Requirements:
- Completed Application for Assault Weapon Permit for Military Personnel
- $73 fee (postal money order)
- Two complete ten-print fingerprint cards (your security unit can often do these)
- A copy of your PCS orders

The application has the following information:
- Applicant's military rank
- Full name
- Mailing Address
- Physical residential address (if different)
- Telephone number
- Branch of service
- Name and address of military base or unit assignment
- Military ID number
- Make, model, and serial number of each assualt weapon to be permitted
- Applicant's signature

Permits are valid for one year from issue or until the member terminates PCS orders in California, which ever comes first. Renewals are required each year and are free. They send a letter in the mail reminding you.

Department of Justice
Firearms Division
PO Box 820200
Sacramento, CA 94203-0200

CavTrooper
01-19-2008, 6:47 PM

Obtaining an Assault Weapons Permit for Active Duty Military Personnel:

Hmm... who didnt read?