PDA

View Full Version : "Zero Tolerance" School policy extends to student's home?

Gunsmith Dan
09-29-2013, 10:50 PM
The school in this story suspended several students that were playing with airsoft guns in the front yard of one of the boy's home. The school suspended them because they have taken the position that the "zero tolerance" school policies (in this case having a firearm or anything that looks like a firearm) extend to anywhere the students are including their own home.

News article link (http://www.wavy.com/news/local/va-beach/has-zero-tolerance-gone-too-far)

kygen
09-29-2013, 10:53 PM
The school in this story suspended several students that were playing with airsoft guns in the front yard of one of the boy's home. The school suspended them because they have taken the position that the "zero tolerance" school policies extend to anywhere the students are including their own home.

New article link (http://www.wavy.com/news/local/va-beach/has-zero-tolerance-gone-too-far)

I hear a lawsuit coming

kygen
09-29-2013, 10:54 PM
And I'd honestly love to hear their thought process throughout the whole situation

rootuser
09-29-2013, 11:43 PM
May go down as the dumbest school rule ever.

Direct result of parents not getting involved. Schools will KEEP making rules just like this (I.E. the texas board of education) all over the nation because of this belief spouted out by the mother:

"My son is my private property," she said. "He does not become the school's property until he goes to the bus stop, gets on the bus, and goes to school."

With parents like that, no WONDER the school is off the rails. The parents aren't involved. If a school your children attends does this, you have a responsibility to stop it, or change schools. The parents seemingly (can't tell 100% from the story) did neither so their son got what was coming under the rules.

The rules themselves are unbelievable. I cannot believe any parent allowed that rule to be adopted and didn't run the principal out on a rail. A strong enough parent response can replace ANY teach or principal. Truth is, the parents didn't know, or didn't care. At some point, the parents have to take responsibility for letting it get this far. But of course they'll dust up over this one rule, and not bother to make sure they replace every teacher and administrator that had anything to do with it because that would require more dedication.

Sutcliffe
09-30-2013, 6:49 AM
It was a Washington State case of a student holding a banner along a parade route when he was out of school and was punished for his sign. It went pretty high up to (and maybe the USSC) and it was afirmed that schools can pretty much do any damned thing they want to and get away with it.

'Morse Vs. Frederik' was the case and it was decided by the Supremes.

BT JUSTICE
09-30-2013, 7:01 AM
That reminds me, I need to buy my homeschooled kids their first airsoft guns. I'll give 'em safety goggles and let 'em shoot it out in the yard.

diverwcw
09-30-2013, 7:04 AM
That reminds me, I need to buy my homeschooled kids their first airsoft guns. I'll give 'em safety goggles and let 'em shoot it out in the yard.

When I was growing up, this would have been a blast. I'm sure those airsoft pellets would have been all over the neighborhood.

OneFunGuy
09-30-2013, 7:08 AM
It was a school event, (off campus), and the kid's banner was promoting illegal drug use.

"Joseph Frederick, a senior at Juneau-Douglas High School, unfurled a banner saying "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" during the Olympic Torch Relay through Juneau, Alaska on January 24, 2002. Frederick's attendance at the event was part of a school-supervised activity. The school's principal, Deborah Morse, told Frederick to put away the banner, as she was concerned it could be interpreted as advocating illegal drug activity. After Frederick refused to comply, she took the banner from him. Frederick originally was suspended from school for 10 days for violating school policy, which forbids advocating the use of illegal drugs."

fr33domfightr
09-30-2013, 7:11 AM
And the fence sitting 2A folks on here would say, "well, you broke the rules...I have no sympathy for you."

morfeeis
09-30-2013, 7:18 AM
If people aren't fired over this........ nevermind

I'll just say, I'd pull my kids from that school asap.

Milsurp Collector
09-30-2013, 7:25 AM
And now, for the rest of the story....

The kid involved sounds like a punk, and his "playing" resulted in kids waiting for the bus getting hit with airsoft pellets.

In Principal Delaney’s letter, he claims his investigation found on September 12 the "children were firing pellet guns at each other and at people near the bus stop ... A child was only 10 feet from the bus stop and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit."

Virginia Beach School Board Chairman Daniel Edwards attached a letter defending the school’s disciplinary actions against the boys: "Yet somehow student safety has taken a back seat in the intense media coverage of this case. This is not an example of a public educator overreaching. This was not zero tolerance at all. This was a measured response to a threat to student safety."

In the tweet, Edwards said, "We can share that this is not Khalid Caraballo's first disciplinary infraction. He has been disciplined six times in less than 18 months for increasingly aggressive behavior including harassment, bullying and fighting that resulted in injuries."

http://www.wavy.com/news/local/va-beach/vb-schools-post-suspended-students-record

SemperFi1775
09-30-2013, 7:26 AM
wth, at least the cops got it right...

garand1945
09-30-2013, 7:45 AM
The school boards lack of transparency on this disturbs me, but is all too familiar. "We can't talk because of privacy concerns" seems to be a get out of jail free card for school boards.

What I want to know is, if this did this take place on school property, and if not, under what authority does the school claim jurisdiction?

Milsurp Collector
09-30-2013, 7:50 AM
What I want to know is, if this did this take place on school property, and if not, under what authority does the school claim jurisdiction?

Read the articles. The "playing" threatened the safety of kids waiting for the school bus.

Stewdabaker23
09-30-2013, 7:51 AM
I remember my school had a threshold to threshold policy, meaning once you walk out your door til the time you get home they have control over you.
Its for safety reasons but still a bunch of BS.

chris
09-30-2013, 7:53 AM
This is their version of "shoot" and get sued later. They are 'envelope' testing to see how far they can go; paradigm shift.

just like our legislature here. they want to see how far they can go.

SonofWWIIDI
09-30-2013, 7:57 AM
When I was growing up, this would have been a blast. I'm sure those airsoft pellets would have been all over the neighborhood.

Same here. By since we didn't have airsoft, we used BB guns!

Wherryj
09-30-2013, 8:14 AM
"Zero Tolerance"=Zero thought.

That is about right for a school district these days. There's nearly NO thought going on anywhere by anyone at most school districts.

diverwcw
09-30-2013, 8:27 AM

We did too! LOL!

SmokieBear
09-30-2013, 9:11 AM

We did too! LOL!

all i had were pellet guns!

Gunsmith Dan
09-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Milsurp Collector

You obviously did not read the article but selected parts you wanted to make the children look bad ..... the same tactics anti's use.

If you READ THE ENTIRE article you would of read that the bus stop was over 70 YARDS away from the front yard. If you have ever seen how airsoft works for the soft plastic pellets to even travel 70 yards would be a near miracle, let alone accurately hit something. When you read the article fully you will see the original 911 caller admitted her child was the one hit with A pellet while PLAYING WITH the group and was not near the bus stop.

Then on top of all that ALL OF THE CHILDREN that were playing with the airsoft guns, according to the article a total of 3, were suspended as well.

BUT HERE IS THE KICKER:

The Police investigated the whole incident and have found nothing illegal done and are not filing any charges.

So the basis for this story is not whether the boys have a history of being trouble makers or not it is this:

If the legal system does not find a crime has occured off of school property does policies (they are not laws) enforced on school property extend to anywhere the student is? Do school boards have the power to be judge, jury and executioner just because the student attends a school in their district?

What would of happened if the student were at a firing range and being taught how to shoot a real firearm by a parent, would they be suspended for violating "zero tolerence"? According to that school board the answer would be yes they handled a real firearm.

Vetteodyssey
09-30-2013, 10:34 AM
I can't figure out why the kids haven't learned that "Zero Tolerance" = free pass out of school. If someone told ME i had the power to not have to go to school simply by chewing my bread into the shape of a gun and going bang bang in the lunchroom. Oh man, I would have been out of there in 6th grade. These laws are insane! How can you give a minor the power to ruin his future by putting the choice in his hands whether or not he gets to go to school any more?!

What would happen if every kid brought a toy gun to school? Schools would have to suspend them all and as a result would be de-funded because they don't have any students. Think they would want to reconsider "Zero Tolerance" then?

Common kids! Use your heads and work together.

Milsurp Collector
09-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Milsurp Collector

If you READ THE ENTIRE article you would of read that the bus stop was over 70 YARDS away from the front yard.

No, one of the parents homes was 70 yards from the bus stop. The parents claimed that the boys were on their property. Maybe they started there, but that isn't where they stayed:

In Principal Delaney’s letter, he claims his investigation found on September 12 the "children were firing pellet guns at each other and at people near the bus stop ... A child was only 10 feet from the bus stop and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit."

Then on top of all that ALL OF THE CHILDREN that were playing with the airsoft guns, according to the article a total of 3, were suspended as well.

It wouldn't have been fair to suspend only one child of the group.

The Police investigated the whole incident and have found nothing illegal done and are not filing any charges.

Good. Unlike California, Virginia doesn't try to criminalize everything. That doesn't mean that kids can't get suspended for things that aren't crimes.

If the legal system does not find a crime has occured off of school property does policies (they are not laws) enforced on school property extend to anywhere the student is? Do school boards have the power to be judge, jury and executioner just because the student attends a school in their district?

What would of happened if the student were at a firing range and being taught how to shoot a real firearm by a parent, would they be suspended for violating "zero tolerence"? According to that school board the answer would be yes they handled a real firearm.

That's a ridiculous stretch, and the kind of over-reaction that makes gun owners look silly. The school authorities took action only because it involved kids waiting to catch a bus to school. Thinking the school would care what happens at a firing range is ludicrous, and again makes gun owners look silly.

Maybe you need to read the articles. The principal said it was nothing to do with "zero tolerance".

Virginia Beach School Board Chairman Daniel Edwards attached a letter defending the school’s disciplinary actions against the boys: "Yet somehow student safety has taken a back seat in the intense media coverage of this case. This is not an example of a public educator overreaching. This was not zero tolerance at all. This was a measured response to a threat to student safety."

EDIT: And I'll add this. I have two school-age kids. I know from personal experience that there are some kids who are punks and troublemakers,

He has been disciplined six times in less than 18 months for increasingly aggressive behavior including harassment, bullying and fighting that resulted in injuries.

but their parents are in denial and swear their little brat is an angel, or just misunderstood, and defend them and make excuses for them. It's disgusting when schools coddle and protect those punks. Thank goodness Virginia Beach isn't afraid to discipline troublemakers. Enough with coddling and pandering.

SonofWWIIDI
09-30-2013, 10:47 AM
We did too! LOL!
Ahhh, the good old days!!!
:D :oji:

all i had were pellet guns!
And I'll bet that no one put their eye out either!
:p

LoneYote
09-30-2013, 11:41 AM
but their parents are in denial and swear their little brat is an angel, or just misunderstood, and defend them and make excuses for them. It's disgusting when schools coddle and protect those punks. Thank goodness Virginia Beach isn't afraid to discipline troublemakers. Enough with coddling and pandering.

Might want to relax on that kind of judgement, your children are probably not much different.

Milsurp Collector
09-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Might want to relax on that kind of judgement, your children are probably not much different.

Ha ha. Seriously, less than two minutes ago my wife read on my kids' school's online bulletin board that my son just got an award for being responsible. When we go out complete strangers come up to us and complement us on how well-behaved my kids are. They have certainly never been disciplined for "aggressive behavior including harassment, bullying and fighting that resulted in injuries". :rolleyes:

Gutpile66
09-30-2013, 1:40 PM
We are living in the age of hysteria and stupidity.

fr33domfightr
09-30-2013, 4:25 PM
Why isn't there zero tolerance on 2A infringements???

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

josh250
09-30-2013, 4:58 PM
Unfortunately, nothing but the fact that children were actually playing outside for a change surprises me......

Theseus
09-30-2013, 5:15 PM
I grew up in Virginia Beach, and their school system was very strict, but also fair in the circumstances.

I always carried a Swiss Army knife to school on my keychain. I was once jumped in the locker room, but never pulled, threatened, or used the knife. I still mwrged victorious but days later was reported by the boys for the same knife. There was a "zero tolerance" policy but they found that I had been carrying the whole year and let it go.

garand1945
09-30-2013, 7:50 PM
Originally Posted by garand1945

Read the articles. The "playing" threatened the safety of kids waiting for the school bus.

from the article:
The two seventh graders say they never went to the bus stop with the guns; they fired the airsoft guns while on Caraballo's private property.

I did read the article, and if the perps were not on school property or waiting for the bus, then what code allows the school board to suspend them? Is this decision so weak that it can't stand a little public scrutiny? Sure, the kids sound like trouble, but they have to be punished according the the rules. Police found no fault, so what code or regulation allows the school to punish, or is the school overreaching like many do? The article implies they are but doesn't dig in and provide the real facts either way.

Milsurp Collector
09-30-2013, 8:16 PM
I did read the article, and if the perps were not on school property or waiting for the bus, then what code allows the school board to suspend them? Is this decision so weak that it can't stand a little public scrutiny? Sure, the kids sound like trouble, but they have to be punished according the the rules. Police found no fault, so what code or regulation allows the school to punish, or is the school overreaching like many do? The article implies they are but doesn't dig in and provide the real facts either way.

As someone else pointed out, airsoft pellets don't have a 70 yard range. If the perp was on private property 70 yards away - as the kid claimed - how did they hit a child standing 10 feet from the bus stop? Hmmm, they would have to be closer than 70 yards. So maybe the kid isn't being truthful.

You should ask the school administration what authority or responsibility they have for the safety of children waiting to catch one of their buses to take them to one of their schools.

But this incident is not one of those silly "zero tolerance" cases as stated in the thread title. This isn't like the kid who was sent home because he chewed a Pop Tart into the shape of a gun (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/boy-suspended-gun-shaped-pop-tart-lifetime-nra-membership-article-1.1359918) or because he had a tiny plastic Lego toy gun (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Boy-Threatened-With-Suspension-Over-Toy-Gun-83473992.html). This is something completely different, but the OP is trying to make it into a "zero tolerance" case and claim that students at that school would be suspended for "being taught how to shoot a real firearm by a parent" at a firing range, which is ridiculous.

Gunsmith Dan
09-30-2013, 11:46 PM
As ridiculous as being suspended from a school for something that not only was not a crime, did not happen on school property and was investigated by the police who found no wrong doing??

That ridiculous?

The Principal making statements as facts when he did not witness what happened plus had no evidence, you know that tricky thing about being innocent until proven guilty by facts in evidence. The original person making the 911 call and complaint changed their story that their child was not near the bus stop.

Then on top of that the bus stops ARE NOT school property but public property that is owned by the city. It has been stated that there is laws in place making it illegal to fire even air/spring guns like airsoft on the public streets but not on private property. The police found no evidence of a crime being commited which means that the evidence pointed to the fact that the kids were not near the bus stop but on their private property.

MILSURP COLLECTOR wants to give school principals ( who are nothing more than a administrator ) police, prosecutorial, and judicial powers that reach beyond school property, in fact are actually attached to the child's person. Principals of schools have no law enforcement, legal or judicial training to qualify them to be able to interpet the law, they are nothing more than glorified office managers.

If MILSURP COLLECTOR had read the article it was the Principal that made the statement that "zero tolerence" DOES go beyond school property.

If that is the case since parents can not give children the permission to break school policy on school property, then they could not give permission anywhere if school policies extend to even the home.

It is obvious that MILSURP COLLECTOR has not spent alot of time in California where many laws are passed in just the same way. Everyone said that the California government would not pass a law that allows boys in girls showers and locker rooms and vise versa that seperate facilities would be made, that the Govenor would veto that kind of law ....... guess what!

California liberals are politically in the majority and if they can't pass a law they will make policies with the old battle cry " Ohh for the sake of the little children we must do this for their safety" :oji:

Milsurp Collector
10-01-2013, 12:45 AM
That ridiculous?

What is ridiculous is you saying that because some rowdy kids - at least one of whom has a record of bullying and fighting - were suspended for shooting airsoft pellets at each other and at other kids waiting to catch a school bus that they would be suspended for "being taught how to shoot a real firearm by a parent" at a firing range. You did say that, and that is ridiculous.

You also said "The school suspended them because they have taken the position that the "zero tolerance" school policies (in this case having a firearm or anything that looks like a firearm) extend to anywhere the students are including their own home", which is baloney. The principal clearly stated it had nothing to do with "zero tolerance", it had to do with those rowdy kids threatening the safety of other students. You made all that other stuff up, and that is ridiculous.

You keep harping on "no crime committed". News flash: you don't have to commit a crime to be suspended from school.

MILSURP COLLECTOR wants to give school principals ( who are nothing more than a administrator ) police, prosecutorial, and judicial powers that reach beyond school property

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said that. Misrepresenting my position and then attacking it is attacking a Straw Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man).

It is obvious that MILSURP COLLECTOR has not spent alot of time in California

The incident you are getting so worked up about occurred in Virginia, not California. That incident has nothing to do with California. :rolleyes:

There are enough dumb instances of "zero tolerance" to criticize. That isn't one of them.

ChrisC
10-01-2013, 7:48 AM
And now, for the rest of the story....

The kid involved sounds like a punk, and his "playing" resulted in kids waiting for the bus getting hit with airsoft pellets.

People don't want to see the rest of the story, they want to be mad and angry. :facepalm:

Gunsmith Dan
10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
As a school principal, student safety is my number one priority. I was advised by the Virginia Beach Police Department Thursday, Sept. 12 that a passing motorist had seen a child with a gun chasing another child in the street near a Larkspur bus stop. Understandably, I became concerned and looked into the matter. Since police could not confirm whether the child got on a school bus it was imperative that I investigate the matter thoroughly to determine if a gun had been brought on school property.
In the course of the investigation, conducted in concert with a police officer and the school division Office of Safety and Loss Control, we identified the children who were firing pellet guns at each other and at people near the bus stop. Several students verified that they had been hit by pellets and had the marks to support their claims. In one instance, a child was only 10 feet from the bus stop and ran from the shots being fired but was still hit. Another student claimed to be shot in the back while running away during a previous incident Wednesday, Sept. 11. This child was also shot in the arm and head during Thursday’s incident. I contacted the school division’s Office of Student Leadership and School Board Legal Counsel for guidance. Because students were on their way to or at a school bus stop when they were struck by pellets, the school division has jurisdiction to take disciplinary actions against those students responsible for the disruption. There is an expectation that all students should be able to travel to and from school in the safest environment possible.
As the principal of Larkspur Middle School, I am responsible for the safety of students and will take all appropriate actions to ensure that the students using the pellet guns are appropriately disciplined and held responsible for their conduct. It is my sincere hope that they will learn important life lessons; the most important being that there will be consequences when they do things that can result in harm to another person. Given the opportunity, teachers, administrators and our entire community should always be willing to step forward to protect one another. This was a dangerous situation that involved the intervention of law enforcement, the Office of Safety and Loss Control and our school administration. I trust that parents and the public will support our actions which were taken with safety in mind.

There is the letter from the principal who did a "investigation" but is not a trained investigator nor a law enforcement official.

He stated they were shot with pellet guns .... airsoft are not classified as a pellet gun.

The letter detailed a incident that would involve the following laws being broken if the incident occured:

discharging a pnuematic air gun in a public area (misdemeanor)

discharging a pnuematic air gun on school property (misdemeanor)

assault and battery with injury on a minor (misdemeanor or felony depending)

So after all that having 3 misdemeanors and possibly a felony committed, according to the principal's "investigation" the police could not find enough evidence to even bring the boys in for questioning let alone charge them with any type of crime. So the principal "just knew" they were guilty and desided to take matters into his own hands.

MANY people have fought and died to protect the rights of others here in the U.S.A., not to have glorified office managers decide they know better, are smarter and more qualified than the law enforcement officials.

What does that tell you .... that the principal's "investigation" is worth less than the paper it was written on.

Are the kids in question angels, no most likely far from it but that still does allow people to superceed the law because they think they know better.

That is what liberal like to do.

donmopar
10-01-2013, 4:33 PM
I see the principal writing the letter after getting complaints. The whole purpose of the letter is not to tell facts but to justify his actions.
We will see in the future if it is based on truth or on covering his butt.

Milsurp Collector
10-01-2013, 6:02 PM
The letter detailed a incident that would involve the following laws being broken if the incident occured:

discharging a pnuematic air gun in a public area (misdemeanor)

discharging a pnuematic air gun on school property (misdemeanor)

assault and battery with injury on a minor (misdemeanor or felony depending)

Since when are you an authority on the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia?

So after all that having 3 misdemeanors and possibly a felony committed, according to the principal's "investigation" the police could not find enough evidence to even bring the boys in for questioning let alone charge them with any type of crime. So the principal "just knew" they were guilty and desided to take matters into his own hands.

Possible felony? Guilty? There is no criminal proceeding. But the principal can decide if the action of the students warrant suspension. Being suspended from school is not a criminal charge or proceeding. There is no "guilt" to be found and no rules of evidence. Kids are suspended from school every day all over the country for things that aren't crimes, including cheating, violation of dress codes, bullying, and disruptive behavior.

MANY people have fought and died to protect the rights of others here in the U.S.A., not to have glorified office managers decide they know better, are smarter and more qualified than the law enforcement officials.

He didn't "decide" he "knows better, are smarter and more qualified than the law enforcement officials". The police decided there is not enough evidence to warrant criminal charges. Fine. But there is enough for the principal tho suspend the students from school, which is a totally different thing. Again, one more time, you don't have to be accused of a crime to be suspended from school.

What does that tell you .... that the principal's "investigation" is worth less than the paper it was written on.

Are the kids in question angels, no most likely far from it but that still does allow people to superceed the law because they think they know better.

That is what liberal like to do.

Supersede the law? That makes no sense. He can't and isn't charging the students with a crime. But he does have the authority to suspend students from school.

How do you know the principal is a liberal? Did you check his voter registration? He's in Virginia, he could be a Republican for all you know.

The ASSumptions, guessing, speculation, and misrepresentation of this incident is getting worse and worse.

Gunsmith Dan
10-02-2013, 10:24 PM
My god the way Milsurp Collector is protecting the Principal for overstepping his authority you would think he is the principal in question.

You really are ignoring the facts are you not?

According to reports, witnesses, the police and the principal's "investigation" the students in question NEVER VIOLATED SCHOOL POLICY ON SCHOOL PROPERTY!

Here is the principal in his own words in the letter:

I contacted the school division’s Office of Student Leadership and School Board Legal Counsel for guidance. Because students were on their way to or at a school bus stop when they were struck by pellets, the school division has jurisdiction to take disciplinary actions against those students responsible for the disruption.

Even if they were 10 feet away from a bus stop (which the police investigation found no evidence of) on a public street, not school property, is still not under the juridiction of the school. 1 foot, 1 inch, 1 millimeter away is does not matter unless they hit the school bus or those on the school bus or the bus stop sits on school property.

They have specifically taken the position that students quoting "were on their way" that the school district has the authority to enforce school policy the entire distance. That is so paper thin you could see through the paper trying to use that way of thinking.

That is like being arrested for carrying a weapon into a Federal Building because you are driving to the Federal Building and have a firearm in your trunk, but parked off Federal Property.

As for the laws broken kind of a common sense thing but I guess not everyone can understand the law so here is a breakdown for Milsurp Collector since he is to busy protecting dictitorial administrators than looking up the facts:

When someone tries to stike someone with any part of their body and misses that is called an assault.

When someone does stike someone but the injuries do not cause great bodily harm that is called assault and battery (in some states it is phrased differently or classified into seperate classes).

When someone misses or does stike someone with anything other than parts of their body that can cause great bodily harm or death itis called assault with a deadly weapon.

Doing any of the above against anyone under the age of 17 adds the word "minor" which also increases the severity of crime.

You staying with me here Milsurp? Did I confuse you so far?

Then of course in VA depending on who, what, where that violating the above laws can be upgraded to a low level felony if it occured on school property.

SO according to the principal:

Several students verified that they had been hit by pellets and had the marks to support their claims.

School property or not if that had happened then the ones shooting the airsoft were definately striking the children (minors) with something other than parts of their body, even supposedly leaving marks.

So at the very least that is assault and most likely assault and battery since minimal marks were made.

Possible felony? Guilty? There is no criminal proceeding. But the principal can decide if the action of the students warrant suspension. Being suspended from school is not a criminal charge or proceeding. There is no "guilt" to be found and no rules of evidence. Kids are suspended from school every day all over the country for things that aren't crimes, including cheating, violation of dress codes, bullying, and disruptive behavior.

WOW just wow how utterly CLUELESS OF A STATEMENT TO MAKE

The School Policies are RULES that are no different than laws because they are enforced with punishment for violating them while on school property. They are the "LAWS" that govern the school property with a statement of what you can not do and punishment if you violate the RULES/POLICY.

What you just stated above is that school administrators can go about suspending and expelling students whenever they see fit, whether or not there is any justification with evidence to prove their accusations.

So your kids get suspended because the administrator feels they did something wrong with no evidence to prove it. That is ok because you know it is not a law and kids get suspended all the time so it was your kid's turn.

The whole point of this post and the outrage is that school administrators can not punish students for things that did not happen on school property. That even if it did happen on school property that evidence must be presented to justify their actions. The fact that if what the children with the airsoft guns actually occured, as the principal stated it, would of violated several public laws let alone school policies.

The police taking no action speaks volumes of the lack of evidence to support the principals claims and point to the suspended students statements being more likely what happened.

Gonna stop posting since it is clear that trying to get Milsurp to see the facts for what they are is about as fruitful as having an argument with a intoxicated person.

Have fun everyone :D

Off the Roster
10-02-2013, 10:43 PM
i guess the principal is trying to do a better job than was done in DC. look at all the posts on how people knew about the naval yard shooter in advance and it went ignored. even with the school taking a proactive stand there is absolutely no guarantee the kid won't show up to the front door looking to play sandy hook. a lawsuit from 1 family is much more manageable than from 10 or 20. chances are they will settle out of court and the kid will move on to some private school.

Offroad65
10-05-2013, 6:20 AM
At my high school there was a policy where any student could get in trouble for anything they do driving to and from school. So if you cut off a teacher or whiny student you could get detention, Saturday school, or suspended. And it happened somewhat often.

Redneck Geek
10-05-2013, 7:55 AM
This is Big Brother stuff, nothing more or less. Another government entity overstepping its bounds.

onefortheroad
10-05-2013, 1:10 PM
I remember my school had a threshold to threshold policy, meaning once you walk out your door til the time you get home they have control over you.
Its for safety reasons but still a bunch of BS.

My school district had the same policy. Took me getting in trouble on my way home from school to learn that.:facepalm: