PDA

View Full Version : Decent knife sharpener

ad40
09-29-2013, 6:09 PM
looking to purchase a decent knife sharpener. mostly for my small blades, but larger would be nice too.

Thank you for your advice.

Bongos
09-29-2013, 6:30 PM
Depending on your budget and taste, I surpass the stones and get a 1x30 belt sander, then go to trugrit and get 600 or higher belts...

Dark Mod
09-30-2013, 8:24 AM
Prefer the lansky system honestly, i dont think anything ive ever used will get a blade sharper.

Im actually becoming quite proficient freehanding with stones, ive gotten a few axes and machetes pretty damn sharp. All my knives go straight on a lansky

Blademan21
09-30-2013, 8:27 AM
Spyderco's rig. You can even sharpen serrated blades with it. Pricey but worth it.

digispike
09-30-2013, 8:30 AM
I just picked up the Work Sharp Field Sharpener 2.2.1 @ Rockler Woodworking. Couldn't be happier with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh8eXb8kUZg
Just my .02

Tanner68
09-30-2013, 8:43 AM
This is a can of worms. Diamond stones, bench stones, fine grit sandpaper, stropping, there are so many ways and schools of thought.

And then we can talk about grinds.

Focus on maintaing a consistent angle and where exactly you are removing metal. Make sure you practice on knives you care for less.

DirtyDave
09-30-2013, 9:59 AM
I have the Gatco. Works awesome
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/715674/gatco-edgemate-5-stone-professional-knife-sharpening-system

Dano3467
09-30-2013, 2:14 PM
+1 gatco

jeffrice6
09-30-2013, 2:58 PM
Spyderco Sharpmaker

ausala
09-30-2013, 3:15 PM
Another GATCO fan here.

I also have some Japanese waterstones and a magnetic stropping base that I am learning to use for my kitchen knives, but the GATCO is tough to beat for convenience.

ad40
10-01-2013, 3:05 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your advice.

zio707
10-01-2013, 4:01 PM
I use these in the field, I carry both a coarse/fine and fine/extra fine. I've found I only need the coarse/fine for field work and skinning, the fine side getting used the most.

http://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/folding-models/double-sided-diafold/

Eventually I'm going to pull the trigger and get a couple of their bench stones for when I'm back at camp or at home. The folders have worked so well that I've been spending my money of other things. :)

pennstater
10-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Exactly what zio707 said. They work fantastic in the field. The DMT's are awesome.

iron330
10-11-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm interested in this new Work Sharp model. Around $140.

Add a good leather strop, and I think you'd really have a set up that would handle nearly anything.

http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/sharpeners/knife-sharpener/knife-tool-sharpener-ken-onion-edition.html

teflondog
10-11-2013, 1:02 PM
I have the Spyderco Sharpmaker and it's more than sufficient for my needs. What I like most about the Sharpmaker is how easy it is to use. Even a 5 year old can sharpen knives with it.

jeffrice6
10-11-2013, 1:08 PM
I'm interested in this new Work Sharp model. Around $140.

Add a good leather strop, and I think you'd really have a set up that would handle nearly anything.

http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/sharpeners/knife-sharpener/knife-tool-sharpener-ken-onion-edition.html

I was looking at that as well. But for the price, its hard to overlook HF 1 in. x 30 in. Belt Sander~ http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-belt-sander-2485.html Especially when you factor you can knock down the price with the HF coupons.........

Gutpile66
10-11-2013, 8:06 PM
Prefer the lansky system honestly, i dont think anything ive ever used will get a blade sharper.

Im actually becoming quite proficient freehanding with stones, ive gotten a few axes and machetes pretty damn sharp. All my knives go straight on a lansky

Best one I've ever used. +10

sharxbyte
10-12-2013, 1:56 PM
I'm now a cutco rep. we have a great sharpener. I can even do virtual appointments.

williamcm
01-06-2014, 9:15 PM
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'd like to ask everyone something I asked on the blade sharpening area as I feel it is useful to the conversation without asking "which is better", diamond, stone, etc...

I didn't see anything on how to judge the quality of a stone. i see them for sale anywhere from $5 to $80, and grit numbers like sandpaper. Basically I want to get a nice two sided stone that will hone a razor finish. I have a dremel jig that already puts a SWEET edge on anything after a two bit pass, but never use that on my nice knives, just my camping machete and other similars.

If I'm going about this all wrong, please let me know. I just grew up with a two sided hand-me-down that just occasionally needed spit. I was really good with

blazeaglory
01-06-2014, 9:20 PM
I just went off of the reviews on Amazon and bought one for under $20 that seemed to come with all the basics.
http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-SK2-2-Stone-Sharpening-Kit/dp/B000B5JXU2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389072110&sr=8-2&keywords=smiths+sharpening+stone

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qnL02A-7L.jpg

11HE9
01-06-2014, 9:26 PM

I do most of my sharpening free hand, but I do like the Lansky system

craig682
01-08-2014, 9:11 AM
Wicked Edge works great for me.

jedininja
01-10-2014, 7:52 PM
If you don't want to spend a ton of time sharpening, the worksharp will give you a shaving sharp edge in minutes.

Spawn
01-10-2014, 9:18 PM
Edge Pro Apex

sdkevin
01-11-2014, 12:38 AM
I like my Lansky, but a Corona AC 8300 adds a mean edge quickly.

SFCRoOKs
01-12-2014, 12:40 AM
Wicked edge

Meety Peety
01-12-2014, 11:34 AM
I have used a few different systems, from free hand stones to machines, the best for me was the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Everyone is different, which means that everyone's ability to use a stone is different. For me, using a freehand stone is a long and grueling process and that probably stems from me just not being that great at keeping it consistent. Yes, I could probably spend the next 15 years practicing at it and get good.. or I could buy a Sharpmaker and have my EDC blade sharp enough to shave with in less than 5 minutes, every single time. It's a no-brainer for me.

Another added bonus for me is that, unlike most kits, you can sharpen serrated edges, you can change the cutting angle, you can convex the edge, you can fix the blade angle on a cheap or damaged knife quickly, etc. There is a lot you can do with the Sharpmaker.

spddrcr
01-27-2014, 5:25 PM
I have a lansky and several stones i have used through out the years but i received a worksharp ken onion sharpener for xmas and i will never go back to the other sharpeners.
I have been sharpening knives nonstop since xmas for all my friends and family and the machine works great. have yet to find a downside to it.

Yoteman
01-27-2014, 5:58 PM
Work Sharp (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/handle-buy-box/ref=dp_start-
bbf_1_glance)

Chef's Choice (http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-120-Professional-Sharpener/dp/B00004S1B8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1380901809&sr=8-7&keywords=chefs+choice+knife+sharpener)

mdib870
01-27-2014, 6:02 PM
work sharp is good if ur lazy hahaha
ceramic rods and a decent strop and a block of polishing compound from the hardware store

spddrcr
01-29-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm actually disabled so my fingers don't quite work the way they used to and i have lost a lot of strength in my hands. the worksharp gets my knives as sharp as any stone i have ever used and it is safer for me to use:D

iron330
01-30-2014, 1:48 PM
I agree with everything spddrcr said. I bought the KO Worksharp a few months ago. I started out practicing on a Glock knife. I barely knew what I was doing and got that thing cutting phone book paper with barely more pressure than the weight of the blade in less than 20 minutes.

bozochu
02-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Wicked edge if price isn't a issue. If on a budget, the new smith adjustable from Walmart looks promising.

bigbossman
02-11-2014, 10:14 AM
I've been using an Arkansas stone for years. While I have no real complaint abut how it works, the stones do wear and it is labor intensive to get the knives the way I want them. I have an old Lansky system laying about somewhere, but those stones wore out and I never got around to replacing them.

Anyway - they way my wife tortures the kitchen cutlery has finally caused me to raise the white flag.... I just can't keep up with sharpening the knives faster than she can dull them.

I'm going to gamble the $70 and get a Work Sharp. I sure hope it is as good as you folks say it is.

kylednf
02-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Dmt aligner!
Better and faster than the lansky. Still has its problems but it's fast and easy to master.
That or the sharpmaker.

yankee-pete
02-12-2014, 2:56 PM
I just got the Work Sharp Ken Onion. It works great. Gets all my knives so sharp that I can shave with them. Very easy to use too.

Jel
02-18-2014, 11:10 AM
I always see this guy at the gun shows. Any body use it? Maybe not for sharpening but for touch ups in the field?

http://www.hunterhoner.com/

Sashaalexander
02-18-2014, 8:20 PM
With Work Sharp you are going to ruin your knives.
I've been using an Arkansas stone for years. While I have no real complaint abut how it works, the stones do wear and it is labor intensive to get the knives the way I want them. I have an old Lansky system laying about somewhere, but those stones wore out and I never got around to replacing them.

Anyway - they way my wife tortures the kitchen cutlery has finally caused me to raise the white flag.... I just can't keep up with sharpening the knives faster than she can dull them.

I'm going to gamble the $70 and get a Work Sharp. I sure hope it is as good as you folks say it is.

BLACK LION
02-25-2014, 5:33 PM
looking to purchase a decent knife sharpener. mostly for my small blades, but larger would be nice too.

Worksharp....I was skeptical until I bought one and learned how to use it. Not only will it sharpen but it will also put an edge on something that does not have one(like a blank) and fix dings, chips, dents, etc...
Its all bout belt choice and the amount of pressure applied.

mikey357
02-25-2014, 9:24 PM
I always see this guy at the gun shows. Any body use it? Maybe not for sharpening but for touch ups in the field?

http://www.hunterhoner.com/

------------------

I use the hunter honer but it does not really do a good job reprofiling a blade.
I don't believe its meant to. It functions more as a chef's steel, it straightens out a rolled edge. It works best on a knife that is kept reasonably sharp.

mikey357
02-25-2014, 9:26 PM

--------

Spyderco sharpmaker is what Im using now. KME looks like a good system I may go to next.

BowtieBill
02-25-2014, 9:59 PM
Edge Pro Apex

Just got the Edge Pro Apex, had heard great things about it. Hope to try it out this weekend.

SoCal Gunner
02-26-2014, 10:09 AM

That is my fear as well, whether it is grinding off too much material or scratching up the surface of, say, a satin finish blade.

Jel
02-26-2014, 12:48 PM

You can ruin any of your knives with any of the offerings out there. It's all about using the sharpener of your choice properly and with the right amount of technique.

Now that being said, I'm of firm belief that in the hands of someone that does not know what he's doing, the Work Sharp will ruin your knives a lot more quickly.

44fred
02-26-2014, 2:25 PM
I just picked up a 1"X30" belt sander from Harbor freight. Then I ordered a 600 grit and leather belt with polishing compound.
I anticipate using only the leather belt. I've been using stones for years and am good at getting shaving sharp. I want to step up to the next level.

bigbossman
02-26-2014, 3:26 PM
Got the Work Sharp last week, and it has the kitchen knives razor sharp. I'm happy with it.

11HE9
02-26-2014, 7:50 PM
I've been using stones for years and am good at getting shaving sharp. I want to step up to the next level.

I know exactly what you mean... I call that "Stupid sharp" :cool:

SBsasquatch
02-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Bass pro sharpens knives for free. I live a few blocks away.

Alpha Male
02-27-2014, 12:28 AM
arkansas stone

bigbossman
03-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Just a data point in favor of the Work Sharp. Heeding all the warnings and being a cautious type, the first knife I sharpened with it was Big 5 $9.99 "4th of July sale" BUCK Chinese made skinning knife. It came out razor sharp, and easily shaved hairs off my arm.

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to use that knife in the field. Since we were in my buddy's truck at the time, all my good knives were back at the hotel. All I had on me was the cheap BUCK, so I started in. I field gutted, skinned, and completely took apart a nice wild hog with that one knife, and it still had a respectable edge when I was done.

I'm happy with the Work Sharp - if it "ruins" this knife so be it..... I'll just get another one and be happy. If it doesn't ruin the knife, then I'll start sharpening my good knives with it and be really happy.

In any case, it was a worthwhile purchase just to keep the kitchen knives sharp for my wife - they live a hard life and it is hard to keep up with her useage using a stone.

yankee-pete
03-09-2014, 12:42 AM

Why do you believe this? I am truly a sharpening novice and bought the Ken Onion Work Sharp. It works great and puts very sharp edges on my favorite knives.

44fred
03-10-2014, 10:04 AM
I just picked up a 1"X30" belt sander from Harbor freight. Then I ordered a 600 grit and leather belt with polishing compound.
I anticipate using only the leather belt. I've been using stones for years and am good at getting shaving sharp. I want to step up to the next level.

Update
I forgot I also ordered the 1000grit belt as well.
I've used the 600 to re profile then a few light passes with the 1000 belt. Finishing off with the leather belt with the polishing compound. End result is a mirror edge with not much effort.
I anticipate using just the leather belt once I get all my blades where I want them. Probably just a weekly chore, no big deal.

bigbossman
03-10-2014, 2:05 PM
Update
I forgot I also ordered the 1000grit belt as well.
I've used the 600 to re profile then a few light passed with the 1000 belt. Finishing off with the leather belt with the polishing compound. End result is a mirror edge with not much effort.
I anticipate using just the leather belt once I get all my blades where I want them. Probably just a weekly chore, no big deal.

Did you just eyeball the angle, or do you have a jig you use?

hermosabeach
03-10-2014, 2:12 PM
This looks great-

http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/catalog/wskts-ko_1185_detail.jpg

This is what I picked up several years ago....
http://www.edgeproinc.com/dlb/img/Apex_Hero_lg.jpg

It makes & keeps things awesomely sharp
http://www.edgeproinc.com/
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/BM710/05f585db.jpg

The Belt systems will give you a Convex Edge

The Lansky, Arkansaw stone and Edge Pro gives you a flat V edge

The convex tends to last longer with skinning but is more difficult to maintain in the field...

44fred
03-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Did you just eyeball the angle, or do you have a jig you use?

I use a sharpie to mark the edge then follow it. I have always preferred a convex edge for just about anything. This gives me one without much time and the effort. I was planning on making some guide blocks but so far it's not necessary.
I put an edge on a large thick blade (chopper) then used it to hack up some large dried oak branches. After about 10 minutes of chopping I touched up the edge with the leather. Two minutes later, I'm back to very, very sharp.
I'm liking this.

44fred
03-13-2014, 2:11 PM

Religious Shooter
03-14-2014, 2:49 AM
If you guys are wanting to buy a Work Sharp KO edition check out Blade HQ.

Currently $129.95. Free shipping. They don't charge taxes like Amazon and it is currently cheaper than Amazon too.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Darex-Work-Sharp-Knife-and-Tool--20423

And until March 20:

Type "Brunton Compass" in the notes at checkout and we'll send you a free Brunton Mirrored Avalanche Compass.

Offer valid on orders placed online, by phone, and in store through March 20th, 2014.

I just ordered one.

dmcmillenfv
03-14-2014, 5:43 AM
Work sharp the ken onion edition. Able to change blade angle. Lots of additional attachments.. And every knife I've sharpened I can shave with.

windrunner50
03-14-2014, 12:55 PM
+1 for the Wicked Edge system!

postal
04-17-2014, 7:31 PM
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'd like to ask everyone something I asked on the blade sharpening area as I feel it is useful to the conversation without asking "which is better", diamond, stone, etc...

I didn't see anything on how to judge the quality of a stone. i see them for sale anywhere from $5 to $80, and grit numbers like sandpaper. Basically I want to get a nice two sided stone that will hone a razor finish. I have a dremel jig that already puts a SWEET edge on anything after a two bit pass, but never use that on my nice knives, just my camping machete and other similars.

If I'm going about this all wrong, please let me know. I just grew up with a two sided hand-me-down that just occasionally needed spit. I was really good with

Well.... Theres a lot of things to consider. When it comes to "stones"...
Are they natural stones or manmade?
How large, and how thick?
Arkansas or Japanese?

Those factors determine a lot about the price.
Natural is more $.
Larger/thicker is more $.
Japanese is more $.

Diamond stones... also the larger they are, the more expensive, but quality stones last a lifetime, where diamond is throw away. Eventually they wear out.

The grit- is just like sandpaper grit. The higher the number, the finer the grit, the finer the edge. You need the right grit for the right job. A dinged up blade starts with a file or coarse sandpaper, then work finer and finer until you're satisfied with the edge. Depending on how sharp you want, anything from a 'fine arkansas stone to a 2000 ish grit japanese stone will be fine.

Want a razors edge... go higher. Then "strop". Stropping is putting a rubbing compound or aluminum oxide on the rough side of leather, or synthetic alternative. These can be had in very fine grits that "polish" the edge.

Regular cheaper stones, like arkansas stones, are meant to be used with oil.

Japanese stones are meant to be used with water. The stone is soaked in water for about an hour before use. Some people leave their stones in water so they're always ready for use. A quality japanese stone will be used by your children and possibly your grandchildren.

Like most things in life.... you get what you pay for.

Stones must occasionally be flattened because you will wear material off them unevenly. Coarse sandpaper on a flat surface like "float glass" is common for high end users. (float glass is a propreitary glass making process that produces THE FLATTEST SURFACE IN EXISTENCE. It isnt cheap either, but most people dont truly have the need for that kind of precision.

As to these 'sharpening systems' people are discussing here on this thread... I've no idea... I hand stone knives, use a guide on my carving chisels, and have access to a 'tormek'

Having some idea of what level of sharpness you want is a start. Utility daily wear knife? Cheap kitchen knives? Decent Chefs knives? A real butcher? A real sushi chef?

Want it sharper than a scalpel/razorblade?

How tough do you need the edge? are you going to abuse it? use it as a prybar/screwdriver?

Determines how sharp it needs to be, how much time and effort it takes and amount of use before it needs touch up, and what stones you need.

Most people will be ok with a coarse/fine combo with fine around 1500-2000 grit. For pocket knives and cheaper kitchen knives.

Quality home and professional chefs knives would want to go higher. Perhaps 3000-or even 4000.

Sushi chefs.... probably higher still.

Wood carvers... usually 4000 ish, then strop. My carving stuff makes most other knives look dull.... But when you push a chisel through wood with just hand pressure takes a much better edge than pushing a knife through some meat or veggies...

Also, the angle of the edge is important as to how sharp the edge is, but also its durability.

A cheap chisel, or 'bench chisel' is usually a 30 deg angle. Which is common for a chisel. Depending on your skill, the wood you're working with, you might choose to set your quality chisels at 25 deg or even 20 deg. The downside is, the edge is more fragile, and dulls quickly which means you need to stop and touch up sharpen the chisel every 20 minutes or so..... I *think* most better kitchen cutlery is around 22 degrees... though I've only messed with 2 decent brands..

Everything is a trade off. The same angles can be done with regular knives. The shallower angle will be sharper, but will be more fragile and damage easily, and dull quickly too.

For kitchen knives, the worst things you can do are...
use a glass cutting board. Those dull good edges very quickly.
Use the sharp edge 'dragging' food from the cutting board into a bowl or pot- it rolls the edge of the blade. Turn the knife upside down to scrape food on the cutting board.

NewGuy1911
06-08-2014, 7:44 AM
postal, nice post! I have wood carving tools but don't carve because I cannot sharpen them. Wood chisels just good enough for rough work. Seems like sharpening is a difficult to learn Japanese art.

cabdmd
06-08-2014, 8:37 AM
This looks great-

http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/catalog/wskts-ko_1185_detail.jpg

This is what I picked up several years ago....
http://www.edgeproinc.com/dlb/img/Apex_Hero_lg.jpg

It makes & keeps things awesomely sharp
http://www.edgeproinc.com/
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/BM710/05f585db.jpg

The Belt systems will give you a Convex Edge

The Lansky, Arkansaw stone and Edge Pro gives you a flat V edge

The convex tends to last longer with skinning but is more difficult to maintain in the field...

I use sandpaper on a flat surface, 800 and 1500 grit. A leather strop and black then white compound will get the mirror finish. Check YouTube for video.
Here is a link for a Japanese Doc who is fanatical about his knives. His videos are full of knife reviews and deer hunting where he field dresses and critiques his knives of the day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uunAbAWmSX4

NewGuy1911
06-08-2014, 1:22 PM
Spyderco Sharpmaker, thinking of getting one. Wonder if the Work Sharp heats up the blade?

The Edgeproinc looks interesting. Would like to use ceramic instead of carbide, if that makes any sense.

Who sells the Sharpmaker for the lowest price and what extra's to order with it?

uxo2
06-08-2014, 1:28 PM
Spyderco sharpmaker

whipkiller
12-01-2015, 12:24 PM
So you guys with the Sharpmaker, do you just use the Medium and Fine that come with it, or do I need to get the Extra Fine too?

Jrubbadubbub
12-01-2015, 1:06 PM
Harbor frieght 1x30 belt sander. 600 grit. Then 800 to 1000 if needed. Finished with a surgi sharp leather 1x 30 belt.

Redneck Geek
12-08-2015, 3:38 PM
I just got the Work Sharp Ken Onion. It works great. Gets all my knives so sharp that I can shave with them. Very easy to use too.

I just got one of these from Cabela's today - it's a Christmas present but I felt compelled to QC it prior to giving it away. You know, don't want to give someone an inferior gift. :rolleyes:

Put a cheap kitchen knife on the belt it came with, and literally two passes later the edge is old-rotten-tomato-slicing sharp. Getting one for myself now too. Can't wait to read/follow the directions to see how good it really is.

gorn5150
12-08-2015, 7:56 PM
I just picked up the Work Sharp Field Sharpener 2.2.1 @ Rockler Woodworking. Couldn't be happier with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh8eXb8kUZg
Just my .02

I just got one of these. I am amazed at how good it works. I've had all types of sharpeners including Lanskys, stones, Work Sharp power sharpener and lots of others. I like that it has diamond to get out big nicks or reshape the blade and ceramic to sharpen it up. The best part is the leather strop for that hair popping edge.