PDA

View Full Version : Boyds Mosin Fail

ClassicalLib
09-29-2013, 3:25 PM
All,

I just ordered / had an issue with a Boyd's Mosin Nagant Stock. Before you ask
i) I know that I am "Bubba-ing" a 1943 Soviet Rifle (albeit reversibly). I am just interested in having something a little more comfortable to hold to shoot through the quite large amount of surplus I have laying around.
ii) I know that the Archangel stock exists and is a great option. Apparently drop in with an easy cutout for a Timney trigger... just a little garish for my taste.

Anyway, after getting the stock home, the in-letting was quite off (I don't know how... I have a hex 91/30 that will fit in the same stock as my 1943 with no mods). The screw holes did not line up, and the gun sat high in the stock. In other words, it fit like the glove... at a certain '90s football star's trial.

In any event, I had to sand the area where the recoil bolt would be in the standard stock to make it actually fit correctly (it was slightly forward). The dremel / sand job was a little rough so I used a little epoxy to make sure that everything was flush. When I took it out to the range, it basically fell apart after 40 rounds. Does anyone have any experience with their customer service. I am going to call them tomorrow however, since I had to make some mods to make the gun fit, I am not hopeful. I am hoping for either an exchange that actually fits or a refund s.t. I can go ahead and purchase the aforementioned garish yet functional stock.

Medics197
09-29-2013, 3:32 PM
was it the featherweight, i have obe ob my mosin but havent shot it yet in the stock

ClassicalLib
09-29-2013, 3:38 PM
No it is/was the classic military barrel channel forest camo laminate. Actually quite a handsome piece

Medics197
09-29-2013, 3:40 PM
ah ok.

OneStepBehind
09-29-2013, 4:09 PM
Did you take it to the tin can range in Los Altos today by any chance?

ClassicalLib
09-29-2013, 4:17 PM
Yes, that was me!

mattt
09-29-2013, 4:17 PM
has to be the stock !The Mosin was built to exact tolerances .

'ol shooter
09-29-2013, 4:23 PM
has to be the stock !The Mosin was built to exact tolerances .

:rofl: Good one!

Medics197
09-29-2013, 4:25 PM
i do believe on boyds website they state its not a drop in. but it still shouldnt have fallen apart.

Merc1138
09-29-2013, 4:42 PM
Can you post a picture of it "fallen apart"? Because I just can't picture in my head where it might have just fallen apart. Unless the stock is a 100% drop it, you need to finish the inletting. I don't understand what you meant by using epoxy. Did you actually check your inletting job with something to show you the contact before the epoxy?

ClassicalLib
09-29-2013, 6:03 PM
By falling apart, I mean that the action started sneaking backward in the stock. The area where the recoil bolt would be in the original Mosin stock broke free and started sneaking backwards. Also, there is a crack between the magazine and trigger as well as some chipping where the back end of the barreled action would sit

As for contact, I used the Dremel until the front bolt hole was aligned with the hole that was drilled in the stock. I used epoxy because my dremeling job was not stellar. I used a bit of shoe polish on the front stud (to prevent adhesion) and used the epoxy on where I dremeled to get an exact, tight fit.

This is my first time attempting this endeavor and, something that I should not have attempted given the paucity of woodworking tools that I had on hand.

Merc1138
09-29-2013, 6:05 PM
By falling apart, I mean that the action started sneaking backward in the stock. The area where the recoil bolt would be in the original Mosin stock broke free and started sneaking backwards. Also, there is a crack between the magazine and trigger as well as some chipping where the back end of the barreled action would sit

As for contact, I used the Dremel until the front bolt hole was aligned with the hole that was drilled in the stock. I used epoxy because my dremeling job was not stellar. I used a bit of shoe polish on the front stud (to prevent adhesion) and used the epoxy on where I dremeled to get an exact, tight fit.

This is my first time attempting this endeavor and, something that I should not have attempted given the paucity of woodworking tools that I had on hand.

So you never checked to see how the receiver actually fit into the stock and where it made contact? Sounds like it was loose and rattled the stock apart.

NorCalFocus
09-29-2013, 7:09 PM
Just got a Boyds stock, and I read the warranty info that came with mine.

"Any modification done to the stock outside of light sanding for inletting voids this warranty."

Once you went at it with a Dremel and epoxy you may have just screwed yourself. If it was that far off I would have called Boyds before modifying it. I know my buddy just got the same stock for his Mosin and while it wasn't drop in fit, it didn't need the work you're speaking of.

ClassicalLib
09-30-2013, 8:14 AM
I agree that I should have just called... anyway, talked to customer service today and they seemed sympathetic with my plight. Sent in a few pictures (fingers crossed).

6mmintl
09-30-2013, 5:24 PM
If your in NorCal/peninsula/bay area I may be able to help salvage stock for you.

It should not be that difficult to inlet and pillar/bed.

kendog4570
10-01-2013, 7:23 AM
To the OP. 6mmintl is mighty handy with these Mosins. If anyone can un-screw it, he can.

ClassicalLib
10-01-2013, 3:37 PM
I might actually take him up on that. Boyds is still mulling what to do... just talked with them today. If they do not, then that is probably the best option. One of these days I will also have to inlet for a Timney trigger to complete the bubba job

ClassicalLib
10-02-2013, 4:48 PM
So, as one would expect given the previous postings, Boyds got back to me saying that basically the fit of these rifles is at your own risk. Being honest with them I said that this was my first time doing this and please tell me the criteria they use to evaluate... they then proceeded to send me a shipping label.

Mmixed messages aside, it would probably be wise to have it looked at before sending it in as, at the very least, I may end up paying for return postage. Overall, if you, like me, are a newb, I would suggest going with the archangel given the reviews I've seen... despite the ghastly aesthetics.
Below is the damage as it exists now. Note the epoxy in the entire image in the recoil bolt area. Not sure if this is salvagable

NorCalFocus
10-02-2013, 8:49 PM
It doesn't look that bad.

Masterdebater
10-06-2013, 8:56 PM
really doesnt look bad at all, but hopefully theyll work with you on this. it would be good to know as i have been hovering their site for some time now as i love their stocks.

vincewarde
10-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Definitely looks salvageable to me.....

I have a Boyd's stock made of the same material on my K31. I epoxy bedded the action and the first 6" of barrel. I used some steel putty at the recoil points. Shots sub MOA, compared with 2-2.5 moa in the original stock. Absolutely no signs of failure.

The whole point (at least for me) of changing out the stock is to bed it so well that the barreled action and the stock fit together like Tupperware. I have done several of my centerfire rifles and accuracy always improves a lot. As others have mentioned it should fix your problems too.

ClassicalLib
10-11-2013, 4:38 PM
All,

6mmintl helped square me away (it is now bedded w/ a floated barrel). He definitely knows what he is doing. Whilst at it, he also did some tune up to the trigger and polished. I will need to shoot however, he convinced me to try my hand at a smallbore competition this weekend... never shot scoped before so, this will be interesting.

On the topic at hand, I guess a word of caution is to know that these stocks must be bedded as the recoil re-enforcement isn't located in a location.

TMB 1
10-11-2013, 5:02 PM
Right on! Now it's better than new.

NorCalFocus
10-11-2013, 5:40 PM
Pics!

dangerranger
10-13-2013, 8:13 AM
id like to see pics of the finished inletting also. Im concidering buying one also Thanks DR

ClassicalLib
10-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Here it is,

I didn't get to shoot it this weekend b/c I was doing my first smallbore competition. The thing feels solid as a rock in the stock so, I am looking forward to seeing what it will do.

DirtyDave
10-13-2013, 12:22 PM

^^^ this is your problem. Not Boyds problem
Patience, Attention to detail, and some research will get you where you need to be.

mmakay
10-14-2013, 7:49 PM
And more importantly, OJ is not a 90's football star....... ;)