PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy for buying rifles now for my young kids?

bigbully
09-29-2013, 12:44 AM
I'm looking at buying two 10/22 rifles and two Remington bolt action rifles before registration kicks in even though my kids are only 1 and 4 yrs old. (Not to mention the stripped lowers I already have forr them.) Is that crazy?

I realize I can just buy them later and loan it to them for use until they are old enough to receive ownership, but something nags at me telling me to get it now so they won't be registered to them later.

It's actually pretty difficult choosing the rifles, because the oldest is a girl who is somewhat petite and the youngest is a boy who is really big for his age and might actually be a lefty. So many complications to contemplate, yet I still think I should buy now. However, I'm starting to 2nd guess myself.

What do you think?

NiteQwill
09-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Nope, perfectly fine.

I had my first Marlin 22LR at 3... and my dad educated and trusted me enough to hunt rabbits at 5 with it. I still have that rifle! Shoots great!

I say you are setting them up for success.

bigbully
09-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I just want them to be happy and enjoy something with daddy. My biggest fears come from the possibility of getting them something that doesn't fit right, is too heavy, kicks too much, etc etc.

gunboat
09-29-2013, 1:16 AM
In view of the politics of the state and the nation, you would be smart to buy now -- The anti-gun crowd will never give up --

mcmikeblues7
09-29-2013, 1:18 AM
I wouldn't limit it to .22s. They are far too young for anything of size, but they will really appreciate having an unregistered 12 gauge or a centerfire bolt/lever action.

bigbully
09-29-2013, 8:13 AM
I wouldn't limit it to .22s. They are far too young for anything of size, but they will really appreciate having an unregistered 12 gauge or a centerfire bolt/lever action.

Yeah sorry I didn't clarify. The 10/22s are of course .22s but the bolt actions I'm looking at are 7mm-08.

'ol shooter
09-29-2013, 9:26 AM
Turners has a pink stocked compact on sale right now, in recognition of Breast Cancer awareness month. You should look at it, it's very pretty, and will be just right for her. :)

jarhead714
09-29-2013, 9:37 AM
I brought my son's Rock River NM A2 home from the FFL the day after I brought HIM home from the hospital. That was 5 weeks ago. I did it mostly because I don't like to share though.:p

jeg0777
09-29-2013, 9:42 AM
I bought my son a Marlin Model 60 a couple years back but it was too heavy for him at the time so I got him a Savage Cub. He loves them both. He also has a Heritage Rough Rider. I plan on buying him more as soon as I PCS out of this state in two years.

bigbully
09-29-2013, 9:54 AM
Turners has a pink stocked compact on sale right now, in recognition of Breast Cancer awareness month. You should look at it, it's very pretty, and will be just right for her. :)

I did see that and considered it, but I preferred the non-compact. I ended up putting a deposit on two of the standard size black laminate ones they had.

I brought my son's Rock River NM A2 home from the FFL the day after I brought HIM home from the hospital. That was 5 weeks ago. I did it mostly because I don't like to share though.:p
Awesome! I'm not much into sharing either, but I think I'm not going to get them shotguns. They can use mine, which was my dad's.

I bought my son a Marlin Model 60 a couple years back but it was too heavy for him at the time so I got him a Savage Cub. He loves them both. He also has a Heritage Rough Rider. I plan on buying him more as soon as I PCS out of this state in two years. If only I had a job that existed somewhere other than here or NY.

ElToro
09-29-2013, 10:00 AM
I'd look to get a decent C&R or 5 before end of year and really be off the radar.
lots of very good old wins, rems and marlin .22s out there. Same with bolt guns and shotguns.

osis32
09-29-2013, 10:10 AM
In my opinion you're crazy not to.

BRANCHER
09-29-2013, 10:32 AM
I bought a custom cut down bolt action air rifle the day after I found out my wife was pregnant with a boy... Some guys buy a baseball glove but not me. So it doesn't sound crazy to me at all. :stuart:

bigbully
09-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Did I mention my wife will most likely not like the idea of them having rifles? She's not crazy about guns LOL! If only she knew everything I bought over the last year and a half! I really have no idea how she hasn't figured out anything. There's no way I pulled a dozen rifles and 5 more pistols out of some obscure location she never knew about.

Divernhunter
09-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Get a bolt action rifle such as a 260Rem or 7mm-08 full size. Then get another stock and shorten it and instal a good recoil pad.
I did this with my daughter when she was about 6 with a 257Roberts and she still shoots it now that she is 21 years old. She killed a nice buck with it this years after returning from Africa and taking a number of animals there. Everthing with one shot.
Just beware: My daughter shot hers so much she shot out the barrel and I ended up rebarreling it with a Douglas barrel. Shoots better than ever.
I also got her several pistols when she was young.
I got her a 22RF chimpmonk and then a Marlin 60. The Marlin was a great help to me with the tube mag vrs me filling 10/22 mags all day long. She started shooting at 4.5 years old.

I say buy now if you can afford it. Later the price will be higher and with the gov restrictions who knows what other BS will be out there.

jdben92883
09-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Not trying to spread FUD around here, but I thought a lot of the drama with the current bills waiting to be signed into law is that most every (fun) rifle will have to be registered as an AW. In that case they can't be passed on to the next generation. How does buying rifles now help ensure your kids are able to have these firearms? Can minors register AW's in their names?

bigbully
09-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Not trying to spread FUD around here, but I thought a lot of the drama with the current bills waiting to be signed into law is that most every (fun) rifle will have to be registered as an AW. In that case they can't be passed on to the next generation. How does buying rifles now help ensure your kids are able to have these firearms? Can minors register AW's in their names?

I'm aware of the new pending laws and they apply to semiautos. I'm getting a couple of bolt actions. The lowers I have are a different story and I am concerned but may just build them out as rimfire. Not to mention there will be workarounds developed just like the bullet button was.

bigbully
09-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Get a bolt action rifle such as a 260Rem or 7mm-08 full size. Then get another stock and shorten it and instal a good recoil pad.
I did this with my daughter when she was about 6 with a 257Roberts and she still shoots it now that she is 21 years old. She killed a nice buck with it this years after returning from Africa and taking a number of animals there. Everthing with one shot.
Just beware: My daughter shot hers so much she shot out the barrel and I ended up rebarreling it with a Douglas barrel. Shoots better than ever.
I also got her several pistols when she was young.
I got her a 22RF chimpmonk and then a Marlin 60. The Marlin was a great help to me with the tube mag vrs me filling 10/22 mags all day long. She started shooting at 4.5 years old.

I say buy now if you can afford it. Later the price will be higher and with the gov restrictions who knows what other BS will be out there.

I'm getting a couple of Remmy 700 SPS youth 7mm-08 rifles. They have the adjustable length of pull stock so they can adjust as they grow. I may get a crickett for them to learn on fairly soon.

jeffyhog
09-29-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't have kids yet, but a couple months ago I was hanging out with my brother, brother-in-law, and a good friend. They all are pro-gun and have young kids. My brother was showing off his Colt Python, and I suggested they think about buying their kids each a shotgun or bolt action rifle, something that wouldn't be affected by any "assault weapon" legislation, and gift it to them while they legally can before the end of the year.
They all looked at me like I was the crazy one and moved on to the next subject.

MotoriousRacing
09-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Check out the family transfer link in my sig. My kids are only 4 & 6. As said above.... crazy not to. :thumbsup:

In terms of SA may need to be registered if new laws pass, I got the kids:
1. Rimfire SA
2. Shotgun
3. Bolt action center fire with mag feed
4. stripped lower, multi caliber

Even the 10/22 is carbine length may be too big for them right now, but I have an old compact 10/22 they should be able to shoot. Besides, they are learning on air right now.

bigbully
09-29-2013, 12:49 PM
I don't have kids yet, but a couple months ago I was hanging out with my brother, brother-in-law, and a good friend. They all are pro-gun and have young kids. My brother was showing off his Colt Python, and I suggested they think about buying their kids each a shotgun or bolt action rifle, something that wouldn't be affected by any "assault weapon" legislation, and gift it to them while they legally can before the end of the year.
They all looked at me like I was the crazy one and moved on to the next subject.

A lot of people are still completely unaware or in denial about the scope of the pending bills.:facepalm:

jarhead714
09-29-2013, 1:12 PM

If my son is with me, then he has them. Laws, smaws. Nothing will ever change the fact the I have my son and WE have the rifles.:)

Whiterabbit
10-01-2013, 8:14 AM
You bought you way too young kids some guns? Why not. It's like buying them stock or a mutual fund or some college savings. The price isn't gonna go down in the LONG term, you are buying them an investment.

More power to you. I did the same thing, till I learned that I cannot register firearms to a minor (this go around).

golfish
10-01-2013, 4:26 PM
bigbully, your a good father, if you don't have a good size gun safe, forget anything I said.

If you do have a good size gun safe..............FILL THAT SUCKA UP with lever guns and pump action shotguns asap. I'm all about the 10/22 but I feel the Henry H001 is a better investment and better gun in these times.

bigbully
10-01-2013, 10:40 PM
bigbully, your a good father, if you don't have a good size gun safe, forget anything I said.

If you do have a good size gun safe..............FILL THAT SUCKA UP with lever guns and pump action shotguns asap. I'm all about the 10/22 but I feel the Henry H001 is a better investment and better gun in these times.

Cool lever action. I actually have a .30-30 Marlin 336 which was my first rifle from my dad. I look forward to passing it on to one of my kids. Loads of fun.

Fortunately, I do have a big safe, but it's filling up fast.

I pulled the trigger. I've got a Crickett for both of them to learn on, 2 black laminate Ruger 10/22s and 2 Remington 700 SPS Youth rifles on the way. Way more than I ever had growing up!!

I also ordered a pink laminate stock for one of the 10/22s so my daughter can choose. She actually saw me looking at rifles and said she wanted me to get the pink one for her. Gotta love it!

Yugo
10-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Did I mention my wife will most likely not like the idea of them having rifles? She's not crazy about guns LOL! If only she knew everything I bought over the last year and a half! I really have no idea how she hasn't figured out anything. There's no way I pulled a dozen rifles and 5 more pistols out of some obscure location she never knew about.

Sound like she knows everything and lets you feel like you're really in control :43:

A lot of people are still completely unaware or in denial about the scope of the pending bills.:facepalm:

Or anything else political. Head is still in the sand.

If my son is with me, then he has them. Laws, smaws. Nothing will ever change the fact the I have my son and WE have the rifles.:)

Ignorance is bliss my friend.

I agree with bold above. :thumbsup:

XVIga_Rob
10-01-2013, 11:02 PM
If your crazy, I'm right there with ya! I just bought 2 used but in great shape .22lr rifles (Ruger M77 & Winchester 94) for my girls. Wife wont let them shoot yet, and it's killing the 9yr old.

bigbully
10-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Nice! I'm hoping to start teaching mine around 6, but we'll see how the wife likes that.

HermanH
10-02-2013, 4:40 PM
Good for you bigbully. I wish I had done that back in the 90's for my first. But as they all turned 15 or so, they have all shot my M&P 15-22, 92FS, and my revolver. My wife has never had a problem (she's also shot my older revolver and 92FS).

It's hard to know if either kid will take to the rifle. My oldest, now 21, likes shooting the M&P, but my youngest, turning 16 this year, tried my .22 Armscor .22LR and she didn't like it as much; she preferred my M&P9mm actually as well as the Beretta.

Off topic: when my youngest turns 16 in December, I'm planning on taking her to an archery lesson and hopefully head off to something like a Dicks Sporting Goods and get her setup with archery equipment - and likely dad will be joining in too!

baffomet
10-02-2013, 5:00 PM
My son is almost 6 months old and I have already bought him and our other future child each a 10/22, M1 Garand, 80% lowers, and some other fun .22s (e.g Sig 522/Colt M4). I'm hoping to get a few bolt actions in before the end of the year though.

You just never know these days.....

smittty
10-02-2013, 5:04 PM
I'm not buying for my kids but I have thought about what I want to leave them in the future.

For example I have pistols with 22 conversion kits, shotgun and rifle combo that would be suitable for each of them.

Nrai2020
10-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Nope, perfectly fine.

I had my first Marlin 22LR at 3... and my dad educated and trusted me enough to hunt rabbits at 5 with it. I still have that rifle! Shoots great!

I say you are setting them up for success.

Trusting a 5 yo to be alone with any gun IMO is a BAD idea... looks like your situation turned out fine and you have fond memories of a special thing you and your dad shared.... but that could have turned out really bad..

I would have never trusted myself back when i was 5 with any gun... not even a BB gun honestly. Perfectly fine if supervision is around... but alone? that just sounds nuts?

Nrai2020
10-03-2013, 11:27 AM

Why not a semiauto centerfire rifle? Thats whats at issue at the moment with the passing of sb374 looming around the corner?? .22 and other rimfired calibers are not an issue immediately at the moment?

Vin63
10-03-2013, 12:11 PM
I also don't think you're crazy...my first .22LR (which I still have), is older than me and was shooting it (under adult supervision) when I was 5 years old.

XVIga_Rob
10-03-2013, 6:29 PM
Why not a semiauto centerfire rifle? Thats whats at issue at the moment with the passing of sb374 looming around the corner?? .22 and other rimfired calibers are not an issue immediately at the moment?

For me, it's a 'registration' thing, and it's not limited to just .22lr's.

brian5271
10-03-2013, 6:44 PM
I have bought rifles for my son as well. I know it is probably overkill, but plan to have a letter notarized stating that I gave the riffles to him before the end of the year. That way if there is ever any question about when they were given to him, he has proof. I realize that if anything happened in the future regarding them not being registered, it would be up to the state to prove he took ownership after 1-1-14, but this way he can prove he owned them before that date without any hassle. With the way things are going here in California, it is worth it to me to spend the couple of bucks getting a letter notarized.

pitbull30
10-05-2013, 9:05 AM
Ask this guy if you are crazy.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=832997

Moonshine
10-09-2013, 5:29 PM
Got my first .22 when I was just a few years older than your kids. You're setting them up to be successful in whatever shooting sport they pursue (hunting in my case).

drpepper
10-09-2013, 8:45 PM
long run probably wont matter. long gun registration starts 1/14. how long before ca will require all long guns to be registered? at that point you will have a decision to make.

jonc
10-09-2013, 8:49 PM
I can't wait til my kids gets older to shoot with me,

bitethebullet
10-09-2013, 9:06 PM
To the OP...its perfectly fine. I gave my son his first rifle at 3 for Xmas. It was a single-shot cricket.

BroncoBob
10-09-2013, 9:10 PM
I plan for my kids to get all my firearms

bigbully
10-09-2013, 9:18 PM
Ordered this when he was 1 month.. picture taken around 3 months..

Anthony Imperato gave me his initials and birth date for the actual s/n which is electroplated on the rifle and printed in the box tab.. Anthony even wrote a letter to him about the story of my request.. class act that guy! he'll have plenty others to shoot and mommy and I plan to save this for a special date to present to him.. and delete all of these pictures before he gets his own calguns login..

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=270980&d=1381250679

at two years old, he has at least 10 guns bought specifically with him and soon to be baby sister in mind.. girl due in Dec will be getting something similar.. and my collection will provide a lifetime of firearms needs for many generations of all ages..
Awesome!
To the OP...its perfectly fine. I gave my son his first rifle at 3 for Xmas. It was a single-shot cricket.
Nice!
I plan for my kids to get all my firearmshopefully we still can.

bigbully
10-09-2013, 9:20 PM
I can't wait til my kids gets older to shoot with me,

Me either. But if my wife gets her way i'll be waiting a little bit longer than I want to.

swat
10-09-2013, 9:30 PM
Why don't you wait a few years to make sure the lad is mentally stable. We don't need another Adam Lanza.

BroncoBob
10-09-2013, 9:36 PM
Why don't you wait a few years to make sure the lad is mentally stable. We don't need another Adam Lanza.

:eek::eek::eek:

Lc17smp
10-09-2013, 9:49 PM
If a child legally owns a semiauto rifle (from dad or mom) can he/she register it? If not what does the state suggest the child do with the gun?

bigbully
10-09-2013, 9:52 PM
If a child legally owns a semiauto rifle (from dad or mom) can he/she register it? If not what does the state suggest the child do with the gun?
If it's rimfire then they are fine. If it's centerfire than they can't register it. Current registration laws require you to be 18 to register. California doesn't suggest anything cause they don't care.

Witch Hunter
10-13-2013, 3:50 PM
I have some for my grandkids. I hope they won't have to wait until I die to get em. My son knows who will get what. That is understood. The good news is, when he was a kid, I bought him a chipmunk 22, youth 870 20 ga. and a Rem youth 700 in .243, so his kids are covered with the basics already.

brian5271
10-13-2013, 10:33 PM

Why would you want them to register it?

maddoggie13
10-13-2013, 10:37 PM
How about an AR in 22lr then can be upgraded to other calibers.

Astro1911
10-16-2013, 9:10 AM
Loving this thread! My son is 7 weeks old and I am itching to get him his 1st rifle/shotgun/handgun! Can't wait until he is old enough for his first father son range day! I'm looking at used single shot shot guns and a lever .22 as well as a saa .22! It is a great idea to get as many as WE can now before January. My only issue is NOT putting my wish list before my sons!!! Dang it was easier to buy mysef what I wanted when I wanted before and now my sons future is more important...

Garandimal
10-16-2013, 9:11 AM
Service Grade M1 Garands/clips/HXP ammo.

They've waited this long, they can wait a few more years in my freezer (w/ the Glock 23's). ;)

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen."

- Col. Jeff Cooper -

GR

RDT72
10-16-2013, 11:16 AM
lefties can still shoot lever-action top eject Marlins or Winchesters... just sayin'

the86d
10-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Nope, not crazy at all, many are... ... ...

bigbully
10-16-2013, 4:34 PM
Started DROS yesterday on 2 cricketts, 2 10/22s and 2 remington 700 SPS youth rifles (1 lefty). I'm so excited but the 2-4 year wait to get them started will be hard.

xjdesertfox
11-08-2013, 9:59 AM
I bought my son multiple weapons...

...I dont have a son yet.

Any excuse to get a new gun right?

thmpr
11-08-2013, 10:10 AM
My whole collection are for my kids.

SanDiegoMan
11-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Just be sure the children are heavily supervised when it's time to start learning how to use them, and that afterwards the firearm is unloaded and locked away. If these conditions are met I don't see any problem.... I just get mad when idiots show extreme degrees of negligence with firearms and children....like this. (http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/kentucky-accidential-shooting/) Seriously even if one can't afford a safe or gun cabinet they could at least unload the gun and stick one of those cable locks through the action....

AK all day
11-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Been collecting since I was 14, shooting since I was 4, and now I'm 17, more into firearms than my old man, have more guns than my old man, and am thankful my parents are supportive of my hobby and passion. I think it's awesome to start kids off at a young age.

dandan3000
11-08-2013, 11:03 AM
OP, are you interested in adopting a 26 year old?:D:D kidding. Sounds cool to me. I wish my dad would have bought me firearms.

rabbit91476
11-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Bought my son a ruger 45lc single action for his second b day

Epaphroditus
11-11-2013, 4:11 PM
One of the greatest thrills of being a dad is that first trip to the range with my girls! Son just turned 8 so off to the range (they got rules and stuff at the range).

Those kids very much prefer "real guns" at the range than BB or pellet guns at grandmas ranch.

Tough to not push too hard to get them ready to take their hunters safety education course and get geared up for hunting season.

Sadly, I've got more kids than guns to go around and after all them kids not enough $ to fix that problem anytime soon.

Not a Cook
11-11-2013, 4:13 PM
simply put, "No".

Russ Florian
11-14-2013, 5:50 PM
Get them whatever you can afford.
Prices wont drop on them in the future.
All my guns I consider belong to my son and daughter.
They can use them anytime and claim them if they want.
I think it would make great memories,
those days you decide they are ready for that particular firearm
Your firearms are worth more than your money.
Don't hesitate. ;)

thomashoward
11-16-2013, 2:30 PM

^^^^^ This

thomashoward
11-16-2013, 2:34 PM
Even the 10/22 is carbine length may be too big for them right now, but I have an old compact 10/22 they should be able to shoot. Besides, they are learning on air right now.

I got a take off stock from Ebay and cut it down. When they got bigger I switched the stock back.

rambutan316
11-17-2013, 5:15 PM
Not at all, I think this is a great idea. Those rifles will have a lot of sentimental value to them as they grow older.