PDA

View Full Version : Converting a rifle's caliber

BCIII
09-28-2013, 9:12 PM
I've been wanting a .260 Rem. They're not widely offered and I favor the Remington 700. Unfortunately, they are no longer made and I don't want to get a Model 7. The 700s I do find are always overpriced.

Can I just buy a .308 and re-barrel it for the .260 and leave everything else alone? I know it uses the same bolt. Is it really this easy? Am I overlooking anything?

postal
09-28-2013, 9:24 PM
Nope.

It is that easy.

Even if you have a magazine setup for the 308, the mag will run the 260's as well.

If you're in socal, Randall (Ar15barrels) can swap barrels for you while you wait.

However, I'd suggest you do a little more research first.

People are starting to recommend 6.5 creedmoor over the 260 including Randall...

Which is also directly compatible with the 308- A barrel swap is ALL it takes to go from 308 to 260 to 6.5 creedmoor or 243.

BCIII
09-28-2013, 9:36 PM
People are starting to recommend 6.5 creedmoor over the 260 including Randall...

Thanks Postal. I have been debating the two cartridges. I guess the only argument is that the Creedmoor is apparently more efficient using less powder. I think ballistics are near identical. .260 brass is more widely available.

I will continue with my decision making...Either way, I'm sure I'll be pleased with the outcome.
Thanks again.

NorCalFocus
09-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Also can't you buy just the cheapest 700 with a thin barrel and then put on a heavy barrel? I know the stock wouldn't work, but you'd want to change that anyways.

ar15barrels
09-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Can I just buy a .308 and re-barrel it for the .260 and leave everything else alone?

Yes.

ar15barrels
09-29-2013, 12:53 AM
can you buy just the cheapest 700 with a thin barrel and then put on a heavy barrel?

Yes.

postal
09-29-2013, 9:51 AM
Also can't you buy just the cheapest 700 with a thin barrel and then put on a heavy barrel? I know the stock wouldn't work, but you'd want to change that anyways.

If you can find one used on consignment or pawn shop even better... since you just want the action and trigger.... a later on you might replace the trigger too...

skkeeter
09-29-2013, 3:07 PM
Thanks Postal. I have been debating the two cartridges. I guess the only argument is that the Creedmoor is apparently more efficient using less powder. I think ballistics are near identical. .260 brass is more widely available.

I will continue with my decision making...Either way, I'm sure I'll be pleased with the outcome.
Thanks again.

If you reload then go with the .260 as there are more options available. If not, then go with the 6.5cm

postal
09-29-2013, 3:16 PM
SK...

I'm just looking into it myself... but I know Randall recommends the 6.5 CM over 260... and tells this to people that do reload. This just came up a couple weeks ago.

skkeeter
09-29-2013, 7:32 PM
SK...

I'm just looking into it myself... but I know Randall recommends the 6.5 CM over 260... and tells this to people that do reload. This just came up a couple weeks ago.

Main reason why is that only Hornady makes brass for the 6.5. Now go look up what brass is available for the 260. I prefer Lapua myself, but jmho. And I also get my information from more than one source. Either way you will be fine though.

BCIII
09-29-2013, 9:06 PM
Thanks for the input. I do reload. I think either Nosler or Norma are making Creedmoor brass not too. I am a big fan of Lapua brass for my .308. But I have found Hornady brass to be pretty nice too in my 6.8. So for me, either would satisfy.
The .260 has the advantage of being able to neck down 308 brass. Not sure this can be done for the Creedmoor. Another advantage of the Creedmoor; Hornady has published their recipes for their long range cartidges, which is a bonus, saving time, money, material, etc.
After last nights post, I considered the options and believe I have settled on the Creedmoor.
Find a 700, drop in a new trigger and a Shilen barrel, good to go.

skkeeter
09-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the input. I do reload. I think either Nosler or Norma are making Creedmoor brass not too. I am a big fan of Lapua brass for my .308. But I have found Hornady brass to be pretty nice too in my 6.8. So for me, either would satisfy.
The .260 has the advantage of being able to neck down 308 brass. Not sure this can be done for the Creedmoor. Another advantage of the Creedmoor; Hornady has published their recipes for their long range cartidges, which is a bonus, saving time, money, material, etc.
After last nights post, I considered the options and believe I have settled on the Creedmoor.
Find a 700, drop in a new trigger and a Shilen barrel, good to go.

That's good to hear. My buddy's Surgeon in 6.5 shoots 1/4 moa with the factory Hornady so you know its good stuff!

ar15barrels
09-29-2013, 11:36 PM
I prefer Lapua myself

6.5x47 Lapua is for you then...

milotrain
09-30-2013, 9:55 AM
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/09/usa-shooting-300m-national-championships-held-at-fort-benning/

Interesting brief discussion of the various cartridges found in 300m shooting within the US. I know Tony and he is a very good, disciplined shooter. His 6.5x47 rifle is absolutely choice, and it's interesting that he says:
"Longer cartridges such as 6.547 and 6XC are supposed to offer easier feeding, but in my observation, the nose-heavy nature of 6BR is, in practice, not a major problem for 300m shooters. One of the advantages of 6.547 is even longer barrel life, and that’s the reason I went for this caliber myself. But looking back now, the greater recoil and extra cost in brass and powder are probably not worth it."

Obviously a specific application but interesting none the less.