PDA

View Full Version : Modifying magazines?

palakaboy
01-18-2008, 2:59 PM
are modified ar15 magazines legal in california?

so far i've got a few things crawling around my head...

1. a magazine that can load from the sides...not detachable but can open from the sides...

2. a modified pmag that can take only 10 rounds.

3. somehow modify the ar15 to take clips instead of magazines...since the law doesn't say anything about clips.

DRM6000
01-18-2008, 4:04 PM
#1 and #2 is fine as long as it cannot accept more than 10 rounds.

#3 a clip is considered an ammunition feeding device and you're limited to 10 rounds.

bwiese
01-18-2008, 4:47 PM
Kinda mooted by the BulletButton.

HIPCHIP
01-19-2008, 6:26 AM
If you have a AR-15 that is illegal in Cali, and you put a "Bullet Button" on it, does that make it legal? Or is that just what is being interpreted? I'm retired police and just getting into guns and was really ticked off when I found out what is no longer legal. I see the Cal Legal AR guns out there, but was wondering about the original AR-15's like I used on the job.

Is there anything else that can be done to make an illegal AR Cali legal?
Thanks,
Dan'o :}:D

Quiet
01-19-2008, 8:24 AM
Is there anything else that can be done to make an illegal AR Cali legal?
Depends on if it's classified as an "assault weapon" via PC 12276 (named make/model) or PC 12276.1 (by features).

If it's by 12276 (named make/model), nothing can be done to make it legal. The reciever can be destroyed and the parts can be used to make a non-named version that can be configured to be legal.

If it's by 12276.1 (by features), it can be configured to a non-features version to be legal.

grywlfbg
01-19-2008, 8:56 AM
Jump out to the root of calguns.net (not the forum root - go to www.calguns.net ) and there's an FAQ there that talks about the different options you have to own a Cali-legal AR or AK.

HIPCHIP
01-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I'll try and find out the make and model and see what it says from there. If I can't figure out what needs to be done I'll come back and ask you folks.
Thanks,
Dan'o :}