PDA

View Full Version : Leader of Antigang Anti-gun Group was selling guns... where was DOJ?

bwiese
01-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Looks like it took the ATF to step in.

Where was the vaunted LAPD 'gun unit' that is looking for M1As w/flash hiders? And where was DOJ's BoF?

Could it be that maybe Senior BoF/Firearms Div Leadership was a bit too close to former Assy Public Safety Committee member Jackie Goldberg, who (termed-out, returning to local LA office) passed out the 'antigun' money to these gangs? Or that the BoFfers were worried more about 'detachable mag' regulations relating to OLLs instead of actual criminal gang behavior?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-noguns18jan18,1,2239748.story?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

Leader of Anti-gang Group Was Selling Guns

Man pleads guilty to illegally peddling assault weapons.
L.A. had paid his organization $1.5 million to aid peace efforts.

By Sam Quinones, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
January 18, 2008

The director of the antigang organization No Guns, which the city of Los Angeles once paid $1.5 million to steer Latino youths away from a life of crime, pleaded guilty Thursday to illegally selling assault weapons to federal undercover officers.

Hector "Big Weasel" Marroquin, 51, was sentenced to eight years in prison, said Eric Harmon, the Los Angeles County prosecutor in the case.

Marroquin's accomplice and girlfriend, Sylvia Arellano, 26, pleaded guilty to illegal weapons sales. She is scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday to four years in prison, Harmon said.

Marroquin was arrested in May in a case that stemmed from an investigation by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives into gun sales by the 18th Street gang.

Using video surveillance and a confidential informant, the agency bought several weapons from Marroquin, Harmon said.

In one case, Marroquin sold a MAK-90 semi-automatic assault rifle out of his bar, Marroking Seafood and Bar on Atlantic Avenue in Cudahy, to a confidential informant for the firearms bureau, authorities said.

He also sold a Ewbank 7.62-millimeter assault rifle to the confidential informant and a M-11, similar to an Uzi, to an undercover bureau agent, authorities said.

Marroquin has had numerous run-ins with law enforcement.

He is a reputed longtime member of the South-Central Los Angeles 18th Street gang. A gang expert testified to a grand jury that Marroquin remained a shot-caller in 18th Street despite claiming to have dropped out, Harmon said.

Los Angeles County sheriff's investigators believe he organized street-gang taxing for the Mexican Mafia in the city's Lennox area in the mid-1990s.

Sheriff's investigators believe he ordered Latino street gangs to attack the Lennox 13 gang for refusing to pay taxes to the Mexican Mafia. A gang war ensued.

In 1996, Marroquin formed No Guns, an organization he said was dedicated to mediating gang wars and stopping gun violence in besieged neighborhoods.

The city's antigang program, L.A. Bridges, eventually contracted with No Guns to provide gang intervention services, in part becaue of a dearth of Latino antigang organizations in the area.

The city ended up paying No Guns $1.5 million over a three-year period.

The Sheriff's Department even used Marroquin as a mediator in race riots at Pitchess Detention Center.

In an earlier interview with The Times, Marroquin said he had turned away from a life of crime and gangs. He claimed to have helped more than 60 gang members find jobs in labor unions.

In 2006, however, revelations that Marroquin hired many of his relatives at No Guns -- including his son, Hector "Little Weasel" Marroquin Jr. -- followed by his arrest on weapons charges prompted the city to cancel its contract with his group.

Hopi
01-18-2008, 12:03 PM
I think it takes the ATF to investigate and prosecute real crime. Like you said, the DOJBOF is busy making up laws and trying to enforce underground regulations......

Looks like it took the ATF to step in.

Where was the vaunted LAPD 'gun unit' that is looking for M1As w/flash hiders? And where was DOJ's BoF?

Could it be that maybe Senior BoF/Firearms Div Leadership was a bit too close to former Assy Public Safety Committee member Jackie Goldberg, who (after returning to local LA office) passed out the money to these gangs? Or that they were worried more about 'detachable mag' regulations relating to OLLs instead of actual criminal gang behavior?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-noguns18jan18,1,2239748.story?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

Leader of Anti-gang Group Was Selling Guns

Man pleads guilty to illegally peddling assault weapons.
L.A. had paid his organization $1.5 million to aid peace efforts.

By Sam Quinones, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
January 18, 2008

The director of the antigang organization No Guns, which the city of Los Angeles once paid $1.5 million to steer Latino youths away from a life of crime, pleaded guilty Thursday to illegally selling assault weapons to federal undercover officers.

Hector "Big Weasel" Marroquin, 51, was sentenced to eight years in prison, said Eric Harmon, the Los Angeles County prosecutor in the case.

Marroquin's accomplice and girlfriend, Sylvia Arellano, 26, pleaded guilty to illegal weapons sales. She is scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday to four years in prison, Harmon said.

Marroquin was arrested in May in a case that stemmed from an investigation by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives into gun sales by the 18th Street gang.

Using video surveillance and a confidential informant, the agency bought several weapons from Marroquin, Harmon said.

In one case, Marroquin sold a MAK-90 semi-automatic assault rifle out of his bar, Marroking Seafood and Bar on Atlantic Avenue in Cudahy, to a confidential informant for the firearms bureau, authorities said.

He also sold a Ewbank 7.62-millimeter assault rifle to the confidential informant and a M-11, similar to an Uzi, to an undercover bureau agent, authorities said.

Marroquin has had numerous run-ins with law enforcement.

He is a reputed longtime member of the South-Central Los Angeles 18th Street gang. A gang expert testified to a grand jury that Marroquin remained a shot-caller in 18th Street despite claiming to have dropped out, Harmon said.

Los Angeles County sheriff's investigators believe he organized street-gang taxing for the Mexican Mafia in the city's Lennox area in the mid-1990s.

Sheriff's investigators believe he ordered Latino street gangs to attack the Lennox 13 gang for refusing to pay taxes to the Mexican Mafia. A gang war ensued.

In 1996, Marroquin formed No Guns, an organization he said was dedicated to mediating gang wars and stopping gun violence in besieged neighborhoods.

The city's antigang program, L.A. Bridges, eventually contracted with No Guns to provide gang intervention services, in part becaue of a dearth of Latino antigang organizations in the area.

The city ended up paying No Guns $1.5 million over a three-year period.

The Sheriff's Department even used Marroquin as a mediator in race riots at Pitchess Detention Center.

In an earlier interview with The Times, Marroquin said he had turned away from a life of crime and gangs. He claimed to have helped more than 60 gang members find jobs in labor unions.

In 2006, however, revelations that Marroquin hired many of his relatives at No Guns -- including his son, Hector "Little Weasel" Marroquin Jr. -- followed by his arrest on weapons charges prompted the city to cancel its contract with his group.

pnkssbtz
01-18-2008, 12:23 PM
The ATF were too busy raiding a pawn shop in regards to the m14 that had the FA receiver despite not having FA internals...

Oh and they busted some kids for having machine guns (shoe strings)...

Pvt. Cowboy
01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Thoroughly insane.

With California facing an 18 Quintillion dollar budgetary shortfall, there's still money to give the Mexican Mafia 1.5 million dollars to buy silencers and machine guns to give to gang bangers who murder 'snitches' and rivals. They even had a mentor in the State Senate helping them along.

The anti-gunners at the highest elected levels in the state are working directly for murderous gangs. I don't see how anyone can construe it differently, but I'm sure that they'll try with their twisted and demented left wing logic.

You will never hear about this in the media aside from how they've whitewashed the parts of the story that cannot be ignored.

God sakes, I'm glad I left that state. Remember this story the next time Iggy comes through someone's window at 3am for having a mis-configured OLL.

scottj
01-18-2008, 12:53 PM
$500k a year so he can hire all his relatives? That's some pretty serious scratch. What could a presumably small NGO spend $500k a year on and look remotely legitimate?

troyus
01-18-2008, 12:54 PM
How can you only get 8 years for pulling this. Is it in the fed or state system? Because if it is state he'll probably be out in 4.

GenLee
01-18-2008, 1:14 PM
Get a rope!!!:90::90:

AKman
01-18-2008, 1:22 PM
Your tax dollars at work!

fairfaxjim
01-18-2008, 9:01 PM
Your tax dollars at work!

I think the city leaders that ok'd $1.5 million to "Big Weasel" and "Little Weasel" should be doing 12 years in prison. You can't make this S**T up!

metalhead357
01-18-2008, 9:15 PM
Gooooooooood God.

As if I needed another reason to hate this state's idiocies.........

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the *discussion* about who dropped the ball on this one for d' state.

Pvt. Cowboy
01-18-2008, 10:12 PM
I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the *discussion* about who dropped the ball on this one for d' state.

If this even is discussed behind closed doors, it's about political fallout. Not a bit about by what means the city of LA lined the pockets of these murderous criminals. It's all about how they'll ignore it, say 'no comment', and hope for the best.

AKman
01-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Gooooooooood God.

As if I needed another reason to hate this state's idiocies.........

Quite frankly, I don't think they care. Sure, someone screwed up, but their intentions were "noble." I'm sure they just chalked it up to a learning experience. While everyone here thinks someone's head should roll, I doubt anyone got anything more than a short "don't do that again" lecture.

Charliegone
01-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I've heard stories from my dad who has talked to police officers on how their FULL AUTO! guns are being stolen from police swat trucks parked in places they shouldn't be...where's the outcry there? Oh, but if you do something careless like that, they throw the book at you! Where's the accountability dammit!

Ford8N
01-19-2008, 5:45 AM
Where's the accountability dammit!

:rofl2::smilielol5::laugh:

...not gonna happen. They are in charge.

Addax
01-19-2008, 6:04 AM
Too bad it is our tax dollars that help to pay for our States Finest....

Piper
01-19-2008, 11:11 AM
What part of "trained monkeys and snake oil salesmen in public office" don't you understand ? This kind of outrageous behavior sould have every law abiding gunowner on their feet and calling for the removal of these trained monkeys and snake oil salesmen/women (for the purpose of clarity). But, will it happen ? Probably not, because the public in general is probably oblivious to this outrage and too lazy to do anything about it.

ibanezfoo
01-21-2008, 9:40 AM
Of course they made an anti-gun group. Its good business for them.... need to keep their rival gang members and victims disarmed.

-Bryan

sierratangofoxtrotunion
01-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Lol "No Guns" was selling guns.

rue
01-21-2008, 11:45 AM
What's a 7.62 millimeter? LOL nice reporting...

cartman
01-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Someone in san francisco should do that. Not the illegal parts but starting an antigun group and use the millions the city gives them to start pro gun programs. Or you can use it to fund a gun buy back program, offer 1000$ a gun. Of course I'm just kidding as I'm sure there is laws against this somewhere and the only way to get a easy sentence is if you really were selling guns illegally.

G17GUY
01-21-2008, 6:17 PM
What's a 7.62 millimeter? LOL nice reporting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_mm_caliber