PDA

View Full Version : So much for using school shootings as ammo for gun bans..

bg
01-18-2008, 8:51 AM
The story tells it..
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/18/2141729.htm?section=world
excerpt.
Killings at United States schools have not risen in recent years - despite some highly publicised crimes - and are far lower than they were during the early 1990s, US officials say.

The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) tracked student slayings in public and private elementary, middle and high schools, finding that the rate had dropped by more than half from 1992 to 2006.

The rate remained stable from July 1999 to June 2006, CDC and other government researchers reported.

During that time, an average of 16.5 students per year were killed on school campuses, going to or from school, or at school events.

Homicide is the second-leading cause of death in Americans aged five to 18, behind only accidents, but slightly fewer than 1 per cent of these were school killings, the report showed.
Now what are the anti-gunners going to draw on ? :rolleyes:

jammer2k
01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Now what are the anti-gunners going to draw on ? :rolleyes:

That is quite easy, they will completely ignore this as they do anything that contradicts their propaganda

pnkssbtz
01-18-2008, 11:11 AM
That is quite easy, they will completely ignore this as they do anything that contradicts their propaganda

Duhh... like the truth has ever stopped them from making stuff up before?

Patriot
01-18-2008, 11:15 AM
'The people will think --' 'What I tell them to think' :TFH:

Wulf
01-18-2008, 11:24 AM
I dont like the idea of relying on statistics to make our points on these issues. If you do you're supporting the idea that your rights can and should come and go depending on how many bad guys choose to behave or not behave in a specific way. Rights should be based on principals not on the habits or current preferences of the sick and evil.

bg
01-18-2008, 11:30 AM
^^ Ya know Wulf, that's a darn good point.

Heatseeker
01-18-2008, 3:11 PM
^^ Ya know Wulf, that's a darn good point.

Yea, what he said! :D

jumbopanda
01-18-2008, 4:36 PM
I dont like the idea of relying on statistics to make our points on these issues. If you do you're supporting the idea that your rights can and should come and go depending on how many bad guys choose to behave or not behave in a specific way. Rights should be based on principals not on the habits or current preferences of the sick and evil.

I think this is sig worthy. :D

Army
01-19-2008, 3:49 AM
How many airpalnes have been downed from .50 caliber rifle fire in California?

Facts are not needed, only rhetoric repeated loudly and often.

oaklander
01-19-2008, 4:08 AM
Homicide is the second-leading cause of death in Americans aged five to 18, behind only accidents, but slightly fewer than 1 per cent of these were school killings, the report showed.

Most of the people killed are gang bangers. Like I mentioned in another thread, if we got rid of inner city violence, there would be very little gun crime in the United States.

One way to do this is to enforce the laws that are already on the books, and to come down hard on felons who commit further gun crimes.

I don't think this will happen, since there's already a whole cottage industry dedicated to "fixing" street violence through community outreach and related "programs."

Example - http://ncuc.tulane.edu/

At the invitation of state legislative leaders and the Council for State Governments based in New York City, NCUC is spearheading a collaborative effort by state and city officials, service providers, and faith-based group [sic] to constrain the ballooning Corrections Department budget by devising community reinvestment alternatives to lengthy sentences for non-violent offenders convicted of technical parole violations. The Collaboration intends to build a better case management system for tracking and serving non-violent parolees, while introducing effective self-sufficiency programs into New Orleans neighborhoods where ex-offenders are disproportionately released.

WTF is a "technical" parole violation?