PDA

View Full Version : Statism at it's finest. Gabriel E. Gomez writing for the Boston Globe.

curtisfong
09-25-2013, 6:37 PM
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2013/09/24/podium-gomez/uaRM8GddCCAF5CbFre6dIL/story.html

My opposition to banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines was based on my experience as a platoon commander and as a member of the US Navy SEALs. My fellow SEAL team members are the most highly trained, professional warriors in the world.

Navy SEALs can handle assault weapons and high capacity magazines with complete competency and safety. Others cannot. I can show virtually anybody how to change a high capacity magazine clip in five seconds. But that does not mean virtually anybody should have one.

MEGSDAD
09-25-2013, 6:44 PM
sorry pal. my rights arent negotiable. I'll decide what weapons to use to protect me and my family. You can go pound sand.

Massan
09-25-2013, 6:48 PM
Very disappointing. Figure an ex-SEAL can at least get terminology correct but guess not. Sounds like someone is adjusting to political life and trying to play both sides.

LMT4ME
09-25-2013, 7:01 PM
There is an elitism in the some (not all) military and LEO community that amateurs should not own advanced weapons. I've seen this attitude in some of the tactical training classes I've taken where there are civilians and professionals attending. By and large the civilians are equal and in some instances out shoot the pros. I'm not talking about Seals or Special Forces - never took a course with one of these BdAss's attending but did with ex marines (contractors), secret service, SWAT, LEO's, etc. Don't get me wrong I've seen some BdAss PRO's that I'd put my life in their hands and I've seen some that would need my help in a bad situ.

BobB35
09-25-2013, 7:23 PM
Sad that someone who lays claim to defending the constitution, doesn't understand it. Guess that pretty much explains the problem,with all these people who claim they swore an oath and in the end the Leos and .mil will uphold the constitution.......whose interpretation? We are so far past the level of oppression that got the ball rolling to start this country it isn't even funny. What is really crazy is the vast majority wan more free **** and oppression. Not freedom. It will be very bad in the future

wjc
09-25-2013, 7:25 PM
no sale.

...and there is no such thing as a "virtually anybody".

Basic Journalism FAIL

Uriah02
09-25-2013, 7:25 PM
I would vote more self-righteous elitism than statism.
While the Spec Ops community's shooting prowess is amazing, the selectivity comes from a wide range of other attributes that are not applicable nor necessary for weapon ownership. Sounds like he needs to go to an IDPA match.

LoneYote
09-25-2013, 8:32 PM
Ex-SEAL = Nothing. According to him the fact that he is no longer active service means he is an incompetent boob who poses a direct threat to everyone around him if he has a firearm. "But he was trained in special forces!!" to which I respond "But he no longer has the magical fairy dust of the government surrounding him".

voiceofreason
09-26-2013, 5:22 AM
"Earlier this year, I ran for the US Senate under the belief that our country is better than our politics"

He's a POLITICIAN now. Any further information required?

Like all politicians, he'll throw anyone under the bus for a vote or 2.

njineermike
09-26-2013, 6:52 AM
"Earlier this year, I ran for the US Senate under the belief that our country is better than our politics"

This. /caring about his opinion

uyoga
09-26-2013, 2:26 PM
I am so sorry I donated to his campaign. I thought there might have been some hope for MA.

rugershooter
09-26-2013, 9:14 PM
His use of the phrase "high capacity magazine clip" makes me have serious doubts as to his claimed service in the military :whistling:

Johnny_Utah
09-27-2013, 11:06 AM

/thread

This makes me sick to my stomach.

GraveTPO
10-01-2013, 2:58 PM
I remember when this guy was interviewed on FOX News. I was a hopeful at the time that he would be elected even though his entire platform seemed to be "I was a navy SEAL!" Still, I thought it would be good to introduce another "conservative" into the Senate.
I'm glad his bid for U.S. Senator failed. Who needs an elitist from either party telling us we aren't qualified to handle our own firearms unless we have successfully completed SEAL training.

JustEd
10-01-2013, 3:09 PM
Out of curiosity, as an EX-SEAL does he think that he is still entitled to 30 round mags because of his prior training, while the common citizen is not?

By that logic there are still a lot of WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc. veterans who had plenty of training on fully auto weapons. And they haven't sold their souls to the Devil!!!