PDA

View Full Version : Father to son lower receiver

Tyler94
09-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Hello all,

I just had a quick question about how I could go about this. I'm 19 years old and I would like to buy an AR, but I am not financially able to at this time. It's my understanding that starting January of 2014, all long guns purchased will have to be registered. I would like to buy a stripped lower before this registration date, but I know I have to be 21. What's the legality of my father purchasing a lower receiver, and then gifting it to me through intrafamilial transfer? Could he do that with just the stripped lower or would he have to build it into a complete lower, or a complete rifle? Thank you in advance

the86d
09-25-2013, 10:27 AM
AFAIK Lower with serial would be Kosher, all else is add-ons. :)

I know somebody's kids have the same thing... ... ...
;)

boogak
09-25-2013, 10:27 AM
All good

ScottsBad
09-25-2013, 10:30 AM
There are legal whizzes on this forum that can tell you precisely what will happen, but my understanding (I could be wrong) is that no transfers will be allowed if Brown doesn't veto the pending laws. I believe no transfers, even between family members. I think they go into effect mid-2015.

If he does veto then you'll (I think), be OK.

HOWEVER, I would go ahead anyway and buy the lower now (in your Dad's name), because you never know how this will play out. A lower is all you need.

I hope someone else will correct me if I have it wrong.

Tyler94
09-25-2013, 10:32 AM
So he could transfer just the stripped lower to me? And if he transferred it before January 1st, there would be no registration required for me?

the86d
09-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Correct. Paperwork-free transfer until the beginning of next year.

If the law passes you would have to register any non-rimfires as an AW, but know what you want ahead of time... ;)

ScottsBad
09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
So he could transfer just the stripped lower to me? And if he transferred it before January 1st, there would be no registration required for me?

Someone else will have to answer, but I didn't think that anyone under 21 could register, STRIKE THAT, own. I am probably wrong.

Go for it if legal!

readysetgo
09-25-2013, 11:35 AM
What's the legality of my father purchasing a lower receiver, and then gifting it to me through intrafamilial transfer?
IANAL. Your scenario is fine currently (before end of the year). This method is set to change in 2014 as you mentioned and there may be problems w/ AW laws as well.

Could he do that with just the stripped lower or would he have to build it into a complete lower, or a complete rifle? Thank you in advance?

That won't matter w/ an intrafamilial gift in your scenario. <18 >21, he can gift you a handgun or long gun, although the procedure would be a little different for a handgun. Either way, the lower is not a handgun.

And if he transferred it before January 1st, there would be no registration required for me?
Correct and to add, there is no "registration" for him either. Non handguns have not been registered to this point (changes at the end of the year).

Calguns Foundation Wiki is down right now or I'd link you to that.

This is just my basic understanding, make sure you understand all the laws for yourself or get real legal advice before proceeding. Good luck.