PDA

View Full Version : Virginia is heading anti gun

SuperSet
09-24-2013, 9:24 PM
Anyone watching the governor's race in VA? McAuliffe pulling ahead and he is a big fan of Colorado gun control.

wjc
09-25-2013, 2:12 AM
Not if Cucchinelli wins.

McAulliffe, who regrettably may be a relative of mine*, is a delta bravo. The people of Virginia need to stop this fool.

*- My mothers maiden name is McAulliffe

ja308
10-01-2013, 9:01 PM
Last I poll I saw, cucchinelli was down 5 .
IIRC Va had 9 % registered 3 rd party. If these 3 rd party vote R it looks good.

If they spilt the pro gun vote, Terry ( the punk) wins and Virginians can expect restrictions like California, Colorado and other states led by anti gunners .

monk
10-01-2013, 9:14 PM
Looks like they're giving it to McAfulliffe.

RMP91
10-01-2013, 9:18 PM
He can push for gun control all he wants. Virginia is an NFA state, I don't think they are gonna just let him walk in and take everything away.

It's been a while, but last I checked, the legislature was pro-gun.

6114DAVE
10-02-2013, 2:50 AM
Exactly .. People seem to forget how government works on a fed and state level

3GunFunShooter
10-02-2013, 9:58 AM
Being from Virginia, it breaks my heart to see this happening.
To be honest it is the Northern Virginia population that is turning blue. Too many people on the government teat up in Northern Va.
McAulliffe is a Carpetbagger moron. I hope the voters down state and out in the valley and SW Va can turn out on election day.

SuperSet
10-02-2013, 10:06 AM
NRA is spending half a million on ads attacking McAuliffe, on the heels on last Wednesday's debate that he will push anti gun legislation 'as far as it goes' once he's governor. It's bad, bad news considering Maryland passed very strict anti gun legislation including a new AWB. I want to be able to continue bringing my AR with me when I travel here for work and don't want to see another state go...

selfshrevident
10-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Dead heat in latest poll.

"A Newsmax/Zogby poll released on Monday that shows Republican Ken Cuccinelli has tied former Democratic front runner Terry McAuliffe sent shock waves through the Virginia political establishment that had until now written off Cuccinelli' chances of victory. The poll of likely Virginia voters conducted between September 27 and 29 shows that McAuliffe's lead over Cuccinelli has been cut to one tenth of one percent, 32.5 percent to 32.4 percent. In essence, the two candidates are in a virtual dead heat."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/30/Breaking-New-Poll-Cuccinelli-Now-Tied-With-McAuliffe-in-Race-for-Virginia-Governor

SuperSet
10-02-2013, 10:37 AM
I'd like to believe that but NewsMax/Zogby used the words 'dead heat' for the Romney-Obama race. Good job guys.

selfshrevident
10-02-2013, 10:38 AM
I am a little worried still. It shouldn't even be this close. It really is like seeing a cliff a mile away and heading for it full steam ahead.

People really are stupid. It's a shame.

selfshrevident
10-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I'd like to believe that but NewsMax/Zogby used the words 'dead heat' for the Romney-Obama race. Good job guys.

Yeah if you look at the RCP (real clear politics) averages clearly the trend has been in the d bags favor for a long time:

http://realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2013/governor/va/virginia_governor_cuccinelli_vs_mcauliffe-3033.html

Clearly not good for Cuccinelli.

Sunday
10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
I foresee gun confiscation in the near future. I just have a feeling and my feelings usually pan out.

DTOM CA!
10-03-2013, 10:29 AM
My Son goes to school in DC and helped campaign for Cucchinelli. He also protested at Hillary Clinton's house during a fund raiser for McAfulliffe.
http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/30/democrats-fundraise-at-hillarys-swanky-house-as-government-shuts-down/

epilepticninja
10-03-2013, 10:53 AM
The sheeple in this country have spoken. They want to be controlled. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. But it seems pretty obvious the way the votes have been going last few years.

JoshuaS
10-04-2013, 9:56 PM
To be honest it is the Northern Virginia population that is turning blue. Too many people on the government teat up in Northern Va.
McAulliffe is a Carpetbagger moron. I hope the voters down state and out in the valley and SW Va can turn out on election day.

I lived in Virginia for a while. I agree. Part of me thinks that if Virginia yielded back the land bordering DC which once was part of DC (Arlington, etc) they could help themselves....but then I remember the many good people I knew in Alexandria and Falls Church and would not wish that on them. And in anycase, being under DC taxes, they would just move further south, still infecting Virginia.

Massan
10-07-2013, 10:05 AM

This +1000

Its ridiculous seeing the nanny state mentality in NOVA, then you got the ridiculous ghettos(*cough*Hampton*cough*). I drive almost 2+ hours each morning to get to work just to avoid living in that crap hole. Seeing quite a few Cuccinelli signs around also so seems like the campaigners are out in force. Im not a fan of either party(Sarvis FTW) but Cuccinelli is definitely way better than McAulliffe.

uyoga
10-08-2013, 4:43 PM
A vote for anyone other than Cuccinelli is a vote for McAuliffe.

Do the math!

Didn't we learn ANYTHING from the 2012 presidential election?

mlevans66
10-12-2013, 9:49 PM
Worse VI. could get is it turns into Mo. who was a couple votes away from a veto proof bill to stop all fed gun laws.

ja308
10-24-2013, 8:38 PM

The polls were accurate ! What Zogby could not predict was the 4 million Ron Paul libertarian types staying home, instead of voting !

Although I have no proof for believing the IRS targeting republican donors and the Tea Party is the cause for them not voting, I do think it played a role !

The latest news on Terry ( the punk ) M

MCAULIFFE: 'I DON'T CARE WHAT GRADE I GOT FROM THE NRA,' MORE GUN CONTROL NECESSARY
by AWR HAWKINS 25 Oct 2013, 6:56 AM PDT 16 POST A COMMENT

Speaking in the final Virginia gubernatorial debate on October 24, Democrat candidate Terry McAuliffe said he doesn't care "what grade [he] got from the NRA" and that more gun control is necessary.
The debate took place at Virginia Tech, and McAuliffe referenced the 2007 shooting on that campus as justification for more gun control.
Republican candidate Ken Cuccinelli correctly stated more gun control would not have prohibited that shooting and that shooters like the killer in that instance, Seung-Hui Cho, are "almost impossible" to find before they decide to start shooting. McAuliffe replied, "Some people should not own guns." He then defended his gun control proposals, saying: "I don't care what grade I got from the NRA. I never want to see another Newtown or Aurora or Virginia Tech again."
Cuccinelli's argument is in line with experts on the subjects of firearms and the mentally ill. Mayo Clinic psychiatrist J. Michael Bostwick, M.D., recently wrote that more gun control aimed at the mentally will not end mass shootings. According to Bostwick, not even confiscating guns from the mentally ill will do that.
He says this is because the great percentage of the mentally ill are not dangerous, while individuals who commit mass shootings and are mentally ill are usually only discovered to suffer from mental illness after the fact.
On top of this, an internal investigation by a Virginia Tech Review Panel reported that more gun control would not have stopped the Virginia Tech shooting. Looking particularly at bans on "high capacity" magazines--bans which McAuliffe supports--the review panel said having 10 round magazines instead of 15 round magazines "would have not made that much difference in the incident."

press1280
10-26-2013, 6:11 AM
Problem is that McAuliffe must be spending major bucks on hit ads-I can't watch a local station w/o seeing 1 or 2 ads against Cucchinelli. Cucchinelli had some ads out a few weeks ago, but I rarely see them now. The sheeple won't do their own research and will assume if there's no counter ads then it must be true.

LMTluvr
10-26-2013, 8:06 AM
There's a lot of Bloomberg money being dumped into the ads as well. Seems Bloomberg is going full retard and supporting any anti-gun candidate he can find.

SuperSet
10-29-2013, 9:53 AM
McAuliffe now leading by 12 points. Thank you to the Republicans for shouldering the blame for the shutdown and folks taking it out on Cucchinelli. Good job, guys.
For those of you in VA, get ready. Start talking to your shooting buddies about what's going to happen next because it's a comin.. damnit.

ccmc
10-29-2013, 9:56 AM
Thank you to the Republicans for shouldering the blame for the shutdown and folks taking it out on Cucchinelli. Good job, guys.

Yep, it's always the republicans fault - no wonder the media keeps blaming them :rolleyes:

SuperSet
10-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Yep, it's always the republicans fault - no wonder the media keeps blaming them :rolleyes:

Right.. you shut down the government for 2 weeks and get nothing out of it, instead of letting Obamacare fail on its own and dominate the headlines. Brilliant strategerie. No wonder they're getting the blame.

3GunFunShooter
10-29-2013, 8:19 PM
SuperSet you are spot on!

ccmc
10-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Right.. you shut down the government for 2 weeks and get nothing out of it, instead of letting Obamacare fail on its own and dominate the headlines. Brilliant strategerie. No wonder they're getting the blame.

Don't know about that. Cruz went home to a hero's welcome in Texas, and most of the reps who stood firmest on this issue probably have the support of their constituents. No doubt the MSM sided with the democrats on this issue which comes as no surprise.

vospertw
10-31-2013, 7:45 AM
Here's a way you can help from here. Check out this NRA flyer; you can contact one of the NRA field reps (all volunteers) and ask if you can help make phone calls. If they can turn out the gun-owner vote, they can beat this guy. Here's the flyer (http://nrapvf.org/media/11917062/cuccinelli_mcauliffe_flier.pdf).

Would be nice to think CA helped turn the tide in another state... Little payback for us out here.

ja308
10-31-2013, 8:50 AM

Obama by himself, postponed the mandate for big business to implement Obama care for 1 year !

Cruz and Lee only demanded the same for American individuals. Because of their tenacity, many informed Americans are solidly in the GOP column.

Sorry you missed the issues!

There is still time to help elect A rated Ken Cuccenelli and defeat F rated Terry ( the punk ) Macallif . A direct contribution will help .
The NRA venue via phone calls or contribution will help .
This race is important to RKBA and will have national consequences .

3GunFunShooter
10-31-2013, 9:43 AM
Cruz might of gone home a hero, but if you understand the Virginia demographics, having lived in Northern Virginia for 30 years and have seen the changes, the populations centers of Tidewater, Richmond and N VA, lots of government workers, and a liberal leaning population, high concentration of immigrants, it is hard for the rest of the state to turn the election the right way. I hope that the rest of the state turns out and does not elect the carpetbagger McAuliffe.

ja308
10-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Cruz might of gone home a hero, but if you understand the Virginia demographics, having lived in Northern Virginia for 30 years and have seen the changes, the populations centers of Tidewater, Richmond and N VA, lots of government workers, and a liberal leaning population, high concentration of immigrants, it is hard for the rest of the state to turn the election the right way. I hope that the rest of the state turns out and does not elect the carpetbagger McAuliffe.

The govt workers got a paid 2 week vacation and Obama care got exposed to many who were not paying attention.
Looks like a win win for everyone but the democrat party .

Latest polls have it a 5 point dem advantage with 9% - 10% libertarians !
If libertarians do what the shadow financiers intend. Gungrabber McAuliff wins !

If libertarians can be influenced by the NRA ( unlikely) A rated Cucchenelli wins .

I'm betting the Molon Labe libertatarians vote to elect gun grabber McAuliff .

wjc
10-31-2013, 10:06 PM
The "Libertarian" Sarvis is a spoiler.

He's in the race to get votes away from Cuccinelli for McAuliffe. If you look at Sarvis' positions on issue he's pretty much a RHINO/Democrat.

vospertw
11-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Obama by himself, postponed the mandate for big business to implement Obama care for 1 year !

Cruz and Lee only demanded the same for American individuals. Because of their tenacity, many informed Americans are solidly in the GOP column.

Sorry you missed the issues!

There is still time to help elect A rated Ken Cuccenelli and defeat F rated Terry ( the punk ) Macallif . A direct contribution will help .
The NRA venue via phone calls or contribution will help .
This race is important to RKBA and will have national consequences .

Take a look at this flyer (http://nrapvf.org/media/11917062/cuccinelli_mcauliffe_flier.pdf), at the bottom are the emails for the volunteer coordinators in VA (or PM me and I'll put you in touch with a couple). I spent 45 min or so today making calls for them; pretty easy - automated system with a script, etc.

ja308
11-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Take a look at this flyer (http://nrapvf.org/media/11917062/cuccinelli_mcauliffe_flier.pdf), at the bottom are the emails for the volunteer coordinators in VA (or PM me and I'll put you in touch with a couple). I spent 45 min or so today making calls for them; pretty easy - automated system with a script, etc.

Good link Sir
Thank you !

baggss
11-03-2013, 6:21 PM
For those of you not watching, the gap has narrowed considerably according to the latest polling data. Obama was in the state today trying to help his buddy but the general consensus is that may have actuarially hurt McAuliffe since he (Obama) is more or less despised by much of the electorate in this state (obamacare isn't helping). McAuliffe even warned his supported that he could actually lose in order to rally the base. Voter turn out is expected to be low (~30%) so we shall see. The Libertarians might stay home, but odds are the leftys will too. It'll be the ideologues and those pissed off about health insurance that will win this one most likely.

Should be interesting to watch come Tuesday. Seems to me that something like this happened not too long ago here and the victory for the right was a foreshadowing event...

Massan
11-03-2013, 7:59 PM
Ill be drinking Wednesday. Just gonna wait and see if its in celebration or consolation.

RMP91
11-03-2013, 8:45 PM
For those of you not watching, the gap has narrowed considerably according to the latest polling data. Obama was in the state today trying to help his buddy but the general consensus is that may have actuarially hurt McAuliffe since he (Obama) is more or less despised by much of the electorate in this state (obamacare isn't helping). McAuliffe even warned his supported that he could actually lose in order to rally the base. Voter turn out is expected to be low (~30%) so we shall see. The Libertarians might stay home, but odds are the leftys will too. It'll be the ideologues and those pissed off about health insurance that will win this one most likely.

Should be interesting to watch come Tuesday. Seems to me that something like this happened not too long ago here and the victory for the right was a foreshadowing event...

It's NBC, but the Democrats are already claiming victory in this article. How arrogant are these people? :mad: http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/03/21296054-republicans-struggle-with-division-and-big-changes-in-crucial-virginia#comments

ja308
11-04-2013, 10:03 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/03/Danville-Newspaper-Owned-by-Warren-Buffet-Endorses-Libertarian-in-Virginia-Governor-s-Race

Finally direct proof libertarians are being financed by wealthy democrats to spilt the progun vote !

ddestruel
11-04-2013, 1:33 PM
The libertarian party has always been played by one of the two larger parties. they are often an easy pawn that can be influenced by emotional hot button issues. when a party wants to split the vote they quietly run a candidate or fund a campaign so they can siphon off votes from their opponent.

if libertarians truly wanted to accomplish something other than being pushed around and used by the larger parties as a gimmick they need to look no further than the take over and realignment of the NRA in the 70’s. in the mean while the emotional and symbolic attempts to make a statement are nothing more than playing into the hands of what in this case the democratic party wants. passionate, free thinking voters who feel unrepresented by either candidate and have valid concerns. The people are wanting their voices heard yet are continuing to be easily pushed off to the side as a block of voters that are quickly via political advertising persuaded to vote for the 3rd option in a 2 option vote. History has been repeating itself nicely since Theodore Roosevelt.

I wish them luck but maybe the concept of teaming up to advance their agenda and sell their ideas to might be worth considering. until then its sad to watch as many of their ideas and objectives track much closer and could be used to help shift a major political party into playing more ball in the libertarians court. 10% of the vote is nothing to bat an eye at and if they were involved with influencing candidates early on in the process they could exert influence. for now they just keep making symbolic votes or refusing to vote for the lesser of two evils and instead help the worse of two evils get elected, then they feel even more disenfranchised and the cycle repeats itself.

Robert Sarvis has some pretty distinct positions that are counter to libertarian and closer to liberal in tax policy etc. As well you are correct he is pretty well funded and backed by more than a few well connected democratic operatives http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/05/revealed-obama-campaign-bundler-helping-fund-libertarian-in-tight-va-gubernatorial-race/ We’ll see but many people find it convenient to burry their heads........ then again i remember the same philosophies, comments and attitudes about the attempts at changing the NRA.........

a1c
11-04-2013, 2:00 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/03/Danville-Newspaper-Owned-by-Warren-Buffet-Endorses-Libertarian-in-Virginia-Governor-s-Race

Finally direct proof libertarians are being financed by wealthy democrats to spilt the progun vote !

How naive young ill-educated like you can be. :rolleyes:

ja308
11-04-2013, 2:40 PM
How naive young ill-educated like you can be. :rolleyes:

Are you implying Warren Buffet is Not a big donor to the democrat party ?

Are you further implying the newspaper Buffett owns comes out for a libertarian in a close race is NOT an attempt to elect Terry (the punk ) McAulliff?

ja308
11-05-2013, 8:30 AM
Another instance of big time democrats promoting libertarians to elect democrats. This time its Virginia !
RS
FRONT PAGE CONTRIBUTOR
Big-time Obama bundler bankrolling Libertarian in Virginia gubernatorial race.
By: Moe Lane (Diary) | November 5th, 2013 at 10:00 AM | 1

RESIZE: AAA
Who here is shocked?

A major Democratic Party benefactor and Obama campaign bundler helped pay for professional petition circulators responsible for getting Virginia Libertarian gubernatorial candidate Robert C. Sarvis on the ballot — a move that could split conservative votes in a tight race.

Campaign finance records show the Libertarian Booster PAC has made the largest independent contribution to Sarvis’ campaign, helping to pay for professional petition circulators who collected signatures necessary to get Sarvis’ name on Tuesday’s statewide ballot.

Austin, Texas, software billionaire Joe Liemandt is the Libertarian Booster PAC’s major benefactor. He’s also a top bundler for President Barack Obama.

So why is an Obama supporter pumping up a third party candidate in a close race? Three possible reasons:

Because he knows that Libertarian candidates tend to suck more votes away from Republican candidates.
Because he knows that you can’t really get libertarians to form a long-term alliance with liberals; the two groups disagree far too much on tactics.
Because Joe Liemandt wants the Democratic candidate Terry McAuliffe to win.
Note that ‘pick any two’ or ‘all of the above’ also work, as answers.

Anyway: iIf you haven’t voted in Virginia today: vote for Ken Cuccinelli, and the rest of the GOP ticket. Because if you think that Robert Sarvis is an acceptable alternative, here’s a clue: so does the Democratic party. And they will laugh in your face if they get power… and then the Democrats will do things that you hate. Simply to spite you.

As Obamacare is demonstrating now, they like to do that. Why do you think that rural Obamacare exchange networks are worse under their system than urban ones are?

SuperSet
11-05-2013, 3:42 PM
Polls close in 30 minutes. Republicans really, really need to turn out if Cuccinelli is gonna stage an upset. It doesn't look good.

3GunFunShooter
11-05-2013, 4:53 PM
CUCCINELLI 52.38%
MCAULIFFE 39.97%
As of 4:45 PST
per Drudge Report Headline.
Lets hope it holds!

RMP91
11-05-2013, 5:19 PM
Where's the defeatists now? :)

Have a little faith for once!

SuperSet
11-05-2013, 5:59 PM
Would be great news if it keeps up and a huge upset. It shouldn't be this close. McAuliffe is terrible.

baggss
11-05-2013, 6:31 PM
Tied at 47% each at 932PM EST....

Librarian
11-05-2013, 6:37 PM
... and 88% of precincts reporting. http://www.wavy.com/politics/election-results

baggss
11-05-2013, 6:42 PM
http://electionresults.virginia.gov/resultsSW.aspx?type=SWR&map=CTY

epilepticninja
11-05-2013, 6:57 PM
Virginia is lost. Can't believe that state is gone anti-gun. Reap what you sow, I suppose. Hope they enjoy their new Governor.

pdsmith505
11-05-2013, 6:58 PM
Just moved from CA to VA...

I can't get away from the clowns...

wjc
11-05-2013, 7:06 PM
FYI...

McAuliffe 47%
Cuccinelli 46%
Sarvis 7%

94% precincts in

From Lou Dobbs' show I'm watching now.

3GunFunShooter
11-05-2013, 7:07 PM
Anyone know how the Virginia House of Delegates is made up?
Dem v/s Rep. I hope they can keep this carpetbagger in check.

SuperSet
11-05-2013, 7:10 PM
The Virginia House is heavily Republican (67-32) and will stay close to that number, after tonight.

cwilliams
11-05-2013, 7:15 PM
Just moved from CA to VA...

I can't get away from the clowns...

I may be there myself in not too long. :banghead:

pdsmith505
11-05-2013, 7:16 PM
FYI...

McAuliffe 47%
Cuccinelli 46%
Sarvis 7%

94% precincts in

Based on VA.gov results, Cuccinelli would need 80% of the remaining votes to come out ahead by a squeaker.

ja308
11-05-2013, 7:18 PM
Thank you Libertarians !
As I've said dozens of times, these pack of losers want to elect democrats !

I hope their pleased with Terry McAuliff and the elevation of every gun grabber that campaigned for him.

Personally I can cross Virginia off any relocation plan. I would not be happy living where 7 % are that effed up :)

SHEPHERD321
11-05-2013, 7:19 PM
dont worry its a 1 term thing.
just like PA you can look at the counties and tell what race the people are, most are 2/3 one way or another

baggss
11-05-2013, 7:35 PM
The statehouse is locked by the GOP with a super majority, much like the Dems have in Cali. He can't get too stupid.

3GunFunShooter
11-05-2013, 7:42 PM
Thanks SuperSet for the breakdown, gives me hope they can keep the Carpetbagger in check. Did you see the county votes, most of the state went red, just those damn heavily liberal population areas of NVA, Norfolk, Richmond, and the University areas. At least it was closer than the liberal press was crowing about how it was going for the past week.

wjc
11-05-2013, 7:52 PM
FYI...

McAuliffe 47%
Cuccinelli 46%
Sarvis 7%

94% precincts in

Based on VA.gov results, Cuccinelli would need 80% of the remaining votes to come out ahead by a squeaker.

One can always hope.

Otherwise, Virginia is populated by some very stupid people.

ja308
11-05-2013, 9:39 PM
One can always hope.

Otherwise, Virginia is populated by some very stupid people.

The error I have made is to consider libertarians progun ! Its obvious they have issues that place RKBA at near the bottom of their agenda list.

To have 7 % vote to elect F rated McAullluf over A rated Cucchenelli speaks volumes of how these borderline anarchists would prefer the tyranny of international law over winning RKBA .

The pro active RKBA in Virginia has just come to a screeching halt as McAuliff will certainly veto anything that furthers RKBA !
In addition the Obama agenda has another friend in state govt !

p7m8jg
11-05-2013, 9:49 PM
Virginia is lost. Can't believe that state is gone anti-gun. Reap what you sow, I suppose. Hope they enjoy their new Governor.

As ye reap so shall ye sow. Buh buy Vah-gin-ia.......:mad:

m03
11-05-2013, 10:31 PM
The error I have made is to consider libertarians progun ! Its obvious they have issues that place RKBA at near the bottom of their agenda list.

To have 7 % vote to elect F rated McAullluf over A rated Cucchenelli speaks volumes of how these borderline anarchists would prefer the tyranny of international law over winning RKBA .

The pro active RKBA in Virginia has just come to a screeching halt as McAuliff will certainly veto anything that furthers RKBA !
In addition the Obama agenda has another friend in state govt !

You assume that all Libertarian votes would otherwise go to the Republican candidate. That is not the case.

Regardless, if you want Republicans to win more elections, you need to encourage the Republican party to un-**** itself first. Keep in mind that McAuliffe thanked Republicans for crossing the isle and voting for him in his acceptance speech.

dchang0
11-05-2013, 10:40 PM

I'm libertarian and have these as my ONLY issues:

1) pro-gun
2) lower gov't spending
3) lower taxes and borrowing

No other issues matter to me, at least when it comes to donating, voting, and volunteering. I'll comment on other issues and do have opinions on them, but I don't act politically on them because I only care about these top three.

We pro-gun good guys have more libertarian allies than we think. Remember, parties are not monolithic. There are factions within every party. You're focusing on the "social libertarians" in the Virginia race that sided with the "social liberals" and confusing them for the entire libertarian movement.

m03 is correct--do not assume that all libertarian (small "l") or Libertarian (big "L") votes go to the Democratic candidate. Frequently, I vote for the Republican candidate over the Libertarian one, if the Libertarian doesn't prioritize the three issues above. I don't think I've voted for a Democratic candidate in over 20 years either--at least not knowingly. (Some races are non-partisan, so the party of the candidates is not shown on the ballot.)

ja308
11-05-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm libertarian and have these as my ONLY issues:

1) pro-gun
2) lower gov't spending
3) lower taxes and borrowing

No other issues matter to me, at least when it comes to donating, voting, and volunteering. I'll comment on other issues and do have opinions on them, but I don't act politically on them because I only care about these top three.

We pro-gun good guys have more libertarian allies than we think. Remember, parties are not monolithic. There are factions within every party. You're focusing on the "social libertarians" in the Virginia race that sided with the "social liberals" and confusing them for the entire libertarian movement.

m03 is correct--do not assume that all libertarian (small "l") or Libertarian (big "L") votes go to the Democratic candidate. Frequently, I vote for the Republican candidate over the Libertarian one, if the Libertarian doesn't prioritize the three issues above.

Yeah right ! In 40 years and the only accomplishment of libertarians is to elect democrats !

How do you explain big democrat money men donating to the libertarian ? Seems they should have promoted McAuliff, unless they planned to siphon votes from Cucchelli.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/05/revealed-obama-campaign-bundler-helping-fund-libertarian-in-tight-va-gubernatorial-race/

SPROCKET
11-06-2013, 5:06 AM
Right... it's the Libertarians that are to blame for Republican's inability to field a winning candidate. Northern Virginia has urbanized greatly in the past decades. You can't win the state with a candidate that only appeals to rednecks and religious kooks. End of story.

The Republicans will will continue to fail as long as they allow social conservatives to define the party platform. This is an unavoidable truth of demography, they need to wrap their heads around it and figure out how to win.

The War Wagon
11-06-2013, 5:58 AM
Counties bordering DC? Yes.

Southern VA and WV are entirely different animals, however. :cool:

SPROCKET
11-06-2013, 6:30 AM
Counties bordering DC? Yes.

Southern VA and WV are entirely different animals, however. :cool:

Unfortunately...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Virginia_population_map.png

aklon
11-06-2013, 6:48 AM
We pro-gun good guys have more libertarian allies than we think.

Barf. A libertarian on the ballot guarantees a democrat in office. Why do you think the Dems worked so hard to gin this fellow Sarvis up as a libertarian?

NotEnufGarage
11-06-2013, 7:35 AM
Barf. A libertarian on the ballot guarantees a democrat in office. Why do you think the Dems worked so hard to gin this fellow Sarvis up as a libertarian?

It was an Obama fund raiser that financed Sarvis. Once that word got out on Monday, many libertarians voted for Cuccineli, but not enough found out in time.

This is why vote by mail and early voting are so destructive.

We need laws to stop all these vote fraud and nullification schemes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ChrisC
11-06-2013, 7:56 AM
The polls were accurate ! What Zogby could not predict was the 4 million Ron Paul libertarian types staying home, instead of voting !

Don't forget the 2 million republicans that didn't vote in 2012. Compared to the 2008 numbers, 2 million less republicans voted.

ja308
11-06-2013, 8:33 AM
Don't forget the 2 million republicans that didn't vote in 2012. Compared to the 2008 numbers, 2 million less republicans voted.

Yes you are correct ! I attribute those 2 million not voting because of IRS targeting Tea Party and republicans who did not "get out the vote "

Of course the real blame lays directly at the feet of these most stupid people !
Who by their inaction re-elected former community organiser Barack (the tyrant) Obama .

ja308
11-06-2013, 8:47 AM
Right... it's the Libertarians that are to blame for Republican's inability to field a winning candidate. Northern Virginia has urbanized greatly in the past decades. You can't win the state with a candidate that only appeals to rednecks and religious kooks. End of story.

The Republicans will will continue to fail as long as they allow social conservatives to define the party platform. This is an unavoidable truth of demography, they need to wrap their heads around it and figure out how to win.

There can never be a republican good enough for libertarians ! They are either too liberal, too conservative, too religious, too secular, too pro business, too big govt, too anti abortion, or too pro life, on and on regardless of what gun laws or positions republicans take on liberty, it's never enough, is it, Mr Loser Libertarian ?

Libertarians ignore NRA GOA recomendations and elect anti gun democrats every time !

Now we finally have proof of libertarians being financed by wealthy democrats ! It is something many of us suspected, but now we have direct proof !

Libertarians will dismiss this info, because their minds gave been so thoroughly flushed by the propaganda machine, administered and financed by extremely wealthy and intelligent democrats .

Yup libertarian equals gun grabbing democrat !
I'm sickened by the election of Terry McAuliff ! Thank you 7% libertarians !

a1c
11-06-2013, 2:58 PM
I don't even know where to begin when I see this "Blame the libertarian" BS. Way to deflect the blame. Way to refuse responsibility.

By all accounts, Sarvis took at least as many votes from Democrats and independents than from Republican voters. If it had been a two-way, all polls showed that McAuliffe would have won anyway.

So instead of looking at the result, why don't you look at WHY that happened? Why did some traditional Republican voters vote for him instead of the GOP candidate?

Cuccinelli had a slight lead among men - about 3 points. But McAuliffe had NINE points over him among women. Especially unmarried women. Think about that. 4% of registered Republicans voted for McAuliffe, and I'm ready to bet the huge majority of those were women (I'm sure the numbers are somewhere).

Had he shut his big mouth about abortion and all that, he could have won. McDonnell had the lead among women in '09. He won - and he's pro-life. But not nearly as vocal and extreme about it as Cuccinelli. And then his fight to reinstate sodomy laws? Are you serious? What century is this? He should have given up on that in 2003, and even then, that was a century late at least.

Besides abortion and his obsession for anal sex, what did Cuccinelli is his affiliation with the Tea Party, which many Virginia Republicans disapprove of, especially post-shutdown. Don't blame the Libertarians. They're not the ones who followed Ted Cruz down that hole.

Wanna blame someone? Blame women. Or better yet, blame Cuccinelli for being a lousy candidate.

And to think some of you think Donnelly has a chance in California.

ja308
11-06-2013, 3:25 PM
I don't even know where to begin when I see this "Blame the libertarian" BS. Way to deflect the blame. Way to refuse responsibility.

By all accounts, Sarvis took at least as many votes from Democrats and independents than from Republican voters. If it had been a two-way, all polls showed that McAuliffe would have won anyway.

So instead of looking at the result, why don't you look at WHY that happened? Why did some traditional Republican voters vote for him instead of the GOP candidate?

Cuccinelli had a slight lead among men - about 3 points. But McAuliffe had NINE points over him among women. Especially unmarried women. Think about that. 4% of registered Republicans voted for McAuliffe, and I'm ready to bet the huge majority of those were women (I'm sure the numbers are somewhere).

Had he shut his big mouth about abortion and all that, he could have won. McDonnell had the lead among women in '09. He won - and he's pro-life. But not nearly as vocal and extreme about it as Cuccinelli. And then his fight to reinstate sodomy laws? Are you serious? What century is this? He should have given up on that in 2003, and even then, that was a century late at least.

Besides abortion and his obsession for anal sex, what did Cuccinelli is his affiliation with the Tea Party, which many Virginia Republicans disapprove of, especially post-shutdown. Don't blame the Libertarians. They're not the ones who followed Ted Cruz down that hole.

Wanna blame someone? Blame women. Or better yet, blame Cuccinelli for being a lousy candidate.

And to think some of you think Donnelly has a chance in California.

Please show me data proving libertarians would support anti gun democrats !

Libertatarians and democrats are nearly opposite ! Democrats favor big unions, big govt, high taxes and gun restrictions.

Supposedly libertarians are opposed to those things, although in all fairness, I'm not sure libertarians have the brain power to digest exactly what this loser party stands for .

What is a certainty is that the big money man from Austin financed this libertarian Sarvas and the Buffetts newspaper endorsed the libertarian. So 2 big time democrats support the libertarian and a democrat wins .
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/05/revealed-obama-campaign-bundler-helping-fund-libertarian-in-tight-va-gubernatorial-race/

a1c
11-06-2013, 3:30 PM
Please show me data proving libertarians would support anti gun democrats !

Libertatarians and democrats are nearly opposite ! Democrats favor big unions, big govt, high taxes and gun restrictions.

Are you sure you were trying to respond to my post? I don't see how your questions are linked to it.

Supposedly libertarians are opposed to those things, although in all fairness, I'm not sure libertarians have the brain power to digest exactly what this loser party stands for .

What is a certainty is that the big money man from Austin financed this libertarian Sarvas and the Buffetts newspaper endorsed the libertarian. So 2 big time democrats support the libertarian and a democrat wins .

And yet look at the data: in a two-way, McAuliffe was still going to win. And Sarvis votes siphoned just as many votes from him as from Cuccinelli.

You really need to stop scapegoating libertarians. You have turned into a caricature here, and you're alienating people who should be on your side.

Sarvis didn't cause Cuccinelli's defeat. Cuccinelli is the one who sabotaged his own candidacy.

ja308
11-06-2013, 3:38 PM
Are you sure you were trying to respond to my post? I don't see how your questions are linked to it.

And yet look at the data: in a two-way, McAuliffe was still going to win. And Sarvis votes siphoned just as many votes from him as from Cuccinelli.

You really need to stop scapegoating libertarians. You have turned into a caricature here, and you're alienating people who should be on your side.

Sarvis didn't cause Cuccinelli's defeat. Cuccinelli is the one who sabotaged his own candidacy.

I asked for data showing in a 2 way race Terry ( the punk ) would still win . So far you have not supplied that data .

There is a reason big time democrats were financing the libertarians, they know it takes away from the republican candidate every time .
Sorry about Cucchenellis stand on killing your baby or marrying your buddy, but those issues do not have the universal support you seem to think .

As for alienating the coward libertarians, in 40 years they have won nothing ! They have however provided political cover for whining cry baby gun owners who are afraid to work within a primary and elect pro gun representatives .

Example after example of republican states passing favorable RKBA, because gun owners form winning coalitions and have power .

a1c
11-06-2013, 4:01 PM
I asked for data showing in a 2 way race Terry ( the punk ) would still win . So far you have not supplied that data .

Seriously? I have to do that for you? It's all over the web. You can Google it for yourself. Plenty of polls showing McAuliffe has the lead in two-way scenarios to begin with.

There are several sites that specialize in aggregating poll data. Look them up.

There is a reason big time democrats were financing the libertarians, they know it takes away from the republican candidate every time .
Sorry about Cucchenellis stand on killing your baby or marrying your buddy, but those issues do not have the universal support you seem to think .

Gee, for a supporter of Cuccinelli, you can't even spell his name right. :rolleyes:

It's not that those issues don't have universal support. It's the fact that they interfere with other people's personal lives. A lot of people in Virginia - including Republicans, and especially women, and even more especially unmarried women - were turned off by his medieval stance on sodomy and his anti-abortion positions. That's one of the reasons he lost - again, look it up in those polls. The other one is the Tea Party-led government shutdown.

I mean, legislating sex between consenting adults is one of many sure ways to turn off libertarian voters or libertarian-leaning Republicans. Tack on an aggressive pro-life stance and many more other comments about the way other people's lifestyles, and then you're surprised that he didn't get libertarian votes? That's like a candidate advocating for drilling through Yosemite Natl. Park and logging down Muir Woods being surprised that Green Party voters and environmentalists are not voting for him.

I don't care about "universal support". If you think the guy who has the most popular views is the one who should get elected, then you should support rabid anti-gun candidates in California.

As for alienating the coward libertarians, in 40 years they have won nothing ! They have however provided political cover for whining cry baby gun owners who are afraid to work within a primary and elect pro gun representatives .

Example after example of republican states passing favorable RKBA, because gun owners form winning coalitions and have power .

There you go again with your "coward libertarian" babble. Way to make friends among fellow pro-2A supporters. Grow up, kid.

dwtt
11-06-2013, 5:08 PM

No he wasn't, and you are just making up stuff about the libertarians taking equal votes from both R and D. It's very sad how people will make up excuses for the idiots who decided "I don't want to vote for the lesser of two evils, so I'll throw away my vote on someone who has no chance of winning, so the greater of two evils will win the election." I've seen this before in CA, and now I've seen it here in VA. One thing they both have in common are the stupid people who think they are smart in voting for someone unelectable to "send a message" to the establishment. Yes, I've heard and read those words from some of these libertarian idiots.

The only thing the libertarians have done is split the republican voters to give the democrat candidate a victory. Here in VA those people are predominantly young 20-30's urban voters, members of The Dumbest Generation, who don't think about the consequences of elections.

a1c
11-06-2013, 6:21 PM
No he wasn't, and you are just making up stuff about the libertarians taking equal votes from both R and D.

I'm not talking about "libertarians", I'm talking specifically about Sarvis.
And I'm not making anything up.

Here, just found this article - one of many. Oh, and it's from Fox News, this haven of liberal news:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/06/mcauliffe-wins-virginia-governor-race/

Many of the people who voted for Sarvis are people who wouldn't have voted otherwise. Many are Rand/Ron Paul fans. Many are independents. Many are people disgusted with politics as usual - on the right or on the left. Many, many of them were young voters. Sarvis was a conduit for their disgust for the establishment. I know that's how many Tea Party people define themselves, but let's face it: the Tea Party movement IS part of the establishment - it managed to get a government shutdown thanks to legislative protocols. It hijacked the GOP - which is the GOP leadership's fault, no sympathy there.

Also, here is another analysis that looks at the raw data. Most of the votes for Sarvis were in counties that were won by McAuliffe to begin with:
http://thefederalist.com/2013/11/06/no-robert-sarvis-did-not-cost-ken-cuccinelli-the-virginia-election/

Sarvis didn't sink Cuccinelli. The GOP candidate was already taking water.

It's very sad how people will make up excuses for the idiots who decided "I don't want to vote for the lesser of two evils, so I'll throw away my vote on someone who has no chance of winning, so the greater of two evils will win the election." I've seen this before in CA, and now I've seen it here in VA. One thing they both have in common are the stupid people who think they are smart in voting for someone unelectable to "send a message" to the establishment. Yes, I've heard and read those words from some of these libertarian idiots.

The only thing the libertarians have done is split the republican voters to give the democrat candidate a victory. Here in VA those people are predominantly young 20-30's urban voters, members of The Dumbest Generation, who don't think about the consequences of elections.

Those 20-30 voters are not any dumber than you are. If the GOP is failing to attract those votes, then that means you're part of a dying party. Maybe it's time to wonder why. Only losers accuse the rest of the world for their failures instead of taking responsibility for their screwups.

You keep telling yourself that it's all the libertarians' fault, even though the data, which is right in front of your nose, is telling you otherwise. But I think you're either too lazy or too dishonest to look at it. It's a lot more convenient that questioning the poor strategy and terrible positioning of the GOP candidate.

ja308
11-06-2013, 9:54 PM
I'm not talking about "libertarians", I'm talking specifically about Sarvis.
And I'm not making anything up.

Here, just found this article - one of many. Oh, and it's from Fox News, this haven of liberal news:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/06/mcauliffe-wins-virginia-governor-race/

Many of the people who voted for Sarvis are people who wouldn't have voted otherwise. Many are Rand/Ron Paul fans. Many are independents. Many are people disgusted with politics as usual - on the right or on the left. Many, many of them were young voters. Sarvis was a conduit for their disgust for the establishment. I know that's how many Tea Party people define themselves, but let's face it: the Tea Party movement IS part of the establishment - it managed to get a government shutdown thanks to legislative protocols. It hijacked the GOP - which is the GOP leadership's fault, no sympathy there.

Also, here is another analysis that looks at the raw data. Most of the votes for Sarvis were in counties that were won by McAuliffe to begin with:
http://thefederalist.com/2013/11/06/no-robert-sarvis-did-not-cost-ken-cuccinelli-the-virginia-election/

Sarvis didn't sink Cuccinelli. The GOP candidate was already taking water.

Those 20-30 voters are not any dumber than you are. If the GOP is failing to attract those votes, then that means you're part of a dying party. Maybe it's time to wonder why. Only losers accuse the rest of the world for their failures instead of taking responsibility for their screwups.

You keep telling yourself that it's all the libertarians' fault, even though the data, which is right in front of your nose, is telling you otherwise. But I think you're either too lazy or too dishonest to look at it. It's a lot more convenient that questioning the poor strategy and terrible positioning of the GOP candidate.e

Thank you for the link.
One does not need a crystal ball to fiqure out McAuliff spending 9.3 million to Cuccenelli 4.5 million on television ads no doubt made the difference to really ignorant voters who regretfully sent Virginias governor into the anti gun column.

Although I have no proof, it stands to reason these dumb libertarians parroting big media lies about the GOP also contributes to electing democrats .

Again I thank you for the links ! I will look more closely later :)

Oops I almost forgot, I am a PROUD TEA PARTY REPUBLICAN ! so have at it !

mag360
11-06-2013, 10:45 PM
a man from the RNC called me tonight. among many things we spoke about was this cuccinelli loss. the rnc caller was from northern Virginia. He said the dems fronted the libertarians (got 7% of the vote) whole campaign to siphon off votes from cuccinelli. I told him that his stance on womens issues the left wing media just rails on might have cost him the election and while not formally agreeing he said the republicans are working on improving their big tent policies to be more inclusive.

At the end of the phone call (which I donated $100) he asked if I had any opinions for him to pass on.

I said, I want the republicans to be winners and I'm a pro-gun small gov't conservative, therefore please leave the homosexuals and the womens abortion stuff out of your party platform. The left wing media will never see beyond that and it is only hurting the party.

ddestruel
11-06-2013, 11:14 PM
a man from the RNC called me tonight. among many things we spoke about was this cuccinelli loss. the rnc caller was from northern Virginia. He said the dems fronted the libertarians (got 7% of the vote) whole campaign to siphon off votes from cuccinelli. I told him that his stance on womens issues the left wing media just rails on might have cost him the election and while not formally agreeing he said the republicans are working on improving their big tent policies to be more inclusive.

At the end of the phone call (which I donated $100) he asked if I had any opinions for him to pass on.

I said, I want the republicans to be winners and I'm a pro-gun small gov't conservative, therefore please leave the homosexuals and the womens abortion stuff out of your party platform. The left wing media will never see beyond that and it is only hurting the party.

Ding Ding Ding

that was pretty much it, as well the national organization left him to fend for himself long ago where as the DNC back terry the full way. but you hit it on the head if the republicans left social issues alone and stuck to principles and personal rights they rock the whole program and shake up a lot of engrained thinking. instead we have the extreme of throwing down with bad tact at bad times and compromising without rational. take the talking points away.

ja308
11-07-2013, 9:39 AM

I have been an RNC supporter since the 90s when they forced some RINO congressman to vote against Clintoon gun bans. Glad to have you aboard as another voice to push RNC on important ( gun rights ) issues .

The homosexual, abortion issues are nearly always dragged out by big anti gun democrat media.

It is their intent to drive a wedge between the 20 some % pro life base and the GOP. The media also uses the idea of marriage being defined as one man and one woman as another issue to divide, discourage and beat republicans .

How should republican candidates answer these cleverly designed questions ?

If you answer abortion is a women's right, you will lose the pro life vote in every primary . Pro life voters are serious and uncompromising and that is their line in the sand.
Same with the " I think my buddy should be called my wife, if I want to call him that !

These issues are important to many loyal republican voters, the GOP can't afford to lose them in order to attract the 3 to 9% libertarian leaning gun owner that can not be counted on anyway.

I dealt with the issue by aligning myself with the prolife forces, they in turn support my gun rights ! It's all about coalitions of what you find is important !

a1c
11-07-2013, 11:45 AM
There are no "cleverly designed questions".

You are a social conservative. But there are plenty of people identifying themselves as conservatives or Republicans who are not opposed to gay marriage nor abortion, because to them being a conservative or a Republican is about being a fiscal conservative, a smaller government, a strong defense, pro-business policies, etc. - and yes, personal freedoms.

The social issues are only a wedge used by liberals because the GOP leadership keeps supporting them. If the GOP candidates dropped those positions, they would certainly win a LOT more seats in both houses at the state or federal level.

The anti-gay marriage people are on the wrong and losing side of history. And the pro-life activists are pushing hard for legislation instead of addressing the core issues behind abortions. They forget that 1 woman in 3 has had or will have an abortion. Women they know. Women who won't be voting for people who want to further restrict their rights.

In the end, what many fiscal conservative, Goldwater type Republicans despise about the Tea Party movement is their focus on some of those social issues, because they are using the same strategy anti-gun groups are using: they try banning something, and if they fail, they just legislate the hell out of it in order to make it as difficult as possible. It's incredibly hypocritical.

That's the irony about social conservatives like you: for people who pretend they don't want big government, they sure fight hard to legislate other people's private lives.

epilepticninja
11-07-2013, 12:09 PM
You are a social conservative. But there are plenty of people identifying themselves as conservatives or Republicans who are not opposed to gay marriage nor abortion, because to them being a conservative or a Republican is about being a fiscal conservative, a smaller government, a strong defense, pro-business policies, etc. - and yes, personal freedoms.

This would describe me quite well.

ja308
11-07-2013, 1:24 PM
There are no "cleverly designed questions".

The social issues are only a wedge used by liberals because the GOP leadership keeps supporting them. If the GOP candidates dropped those positions, they would certainly win a LOT more seats in both houses at the state or federal level.

The anti-gay marriage people are on the wrong and losing side of history. And the pro-life activists are pushing hard for legislation instead of addressing the core issues behind abortions. They forget that 1 woman in 3 has had or will have an abortion. Women they know. Women who won't be voting for people who want to further restrict their rights.

In the end, what many fiscal conservative, Goldwater type Republicans despise about the Tea Party movement is their focus on some of those social issues, because they are using the same strategy anti-gun groups are using: they try banning something, and if they fail, they just legislate the hell out of it in order to make it as difficult as possible. It's incredibly hypocritical.

That's the irony about social conservatives like you: for people who pretend they don't want big government, they sure fight hard to legislate other people's private lives.

http://www.teapartypatriots.org/?gclid=CLLK-JvM07oCFeuDQgodQWgA5A
I don't see anything about abortion or same sex marriage.

Incidentally I'm not for restricting anyone's liberty ! I do believe the declaration guarentees life and that it, like homosexual marriage is best left to state govts as outlined in # 10 . I do not think the states should allow infanticide or gender specific abortions, Libertarians and democrats will disagree .

I believe fed gov has overstepped its authority on those 2 issues.
Just like fedgov has overstepped its authority on medical marijunana .

ant21b
11-07-2013, 6:22 PM
Doesn't make much difference who is governor in Virginia since the house of delegates has a big republican majority. Therefore there is no way to pass legislation without a lot of republican support. This support will not come. So you have gridlock.

baggss
11-07-2013, 6:57 PM
Doesn't make much difference who is governor in Virginia since the house of delegates has a big republican majority. Therefore there is no way to pass legislation without a lot of republican support. This support will not come. So you have gridlock.

I think the GOP still has a Veto-over riding majority, but I may be wrong. Maybe not so much gridlock....

ant21b
11-07-2013, 7:34 PM
I think the GOP still has a Veto-over riding majority, but I may be wrong. Maybe not so much gridlock....The governor doesn't write legislation he just vetoes or signs it. You have to get the legislation through the state legislature first. It wont get through the house of delegates. I believe a lot of it has to be written there in the first place as well.

ja308
11-07-2013, 10:55 PM
This race was important enough for the NRA to spend 500,000 k
And the democrats to invest nearly 10 million in TV ads targeting the low information voter.
Further democrat fundraisers and Buffets newspaper funded and endorsed the libertarian candidate who got 7 % .

Although your post is probably correct ! This loss is a big deal !

baggss
11-08-2013, 3:13 AM
Although your post is probably correct ! This loss is a big deal !

Symbolically it's a big deal, and it bolsters the lefts opinion of themselves, their machine and their politics. From a practical point of view based on the title of this thread, I think there is significantly less likely a chance of that happening anytime soon. Doesn't mean their won't be fights or attempts though.