PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rep. Stockman Introducing Bill Allowing Military to Carry on Bases

Artema
09-23-2013, 9:08 PM
This would be great!

http://politix.topix.com/homepage/8059-texas-congressman-to-introduce-bill-allowing-military-personnel-to-carry-on-bases

Rep. Steve Stockman said he plans to introduce a bill to allow military personnel to carry concealed guns while on military bases in the aftermath of the mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard that left 13 dead including the shooter.

Stockman, R-Texas, said his bill would allow military personnel to not only carry, but also fire back in the event that an armed combatant opens fire on a military base, reports Red Alert Politics.

"These are the guys that we entrust to protect our families " Stockman said. "These are the guys that we entrust to protect our country. These are the guys who, by the way, we have trained. And what do we do? We say, 'excuse me, you can protect our nation but you better not protect yourselves.'"

Concealed carry is currently prohibited on military bases. The only people on base allowed to carry guns are the military police.

sd_shooter
09-23-2013, 9:19 PM
Way too common sense, the Nobel peace prize winner will never allow it.

Artema
09-23-2013, 9:22 PM
Only thing I'd be worried about is people hearing shots, running up, seeing someone with a gun, shooting them, and they just shot some guy that they had seen with a gun, who has just shot someone who they had seen with a gun, who had just shot someone who they had seen with a gun, while the actual active shooter is still running around. I just know some thick people, but overall I would feel comfortable with it.

socalblue
09-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Small problem - US Mil fall under UCMJ & chain of command. If should the bill pass it won't do service members much good unless the UCMJ is also amended to take the CCW decision away from the command structure.

Josh3239
09-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Why only military?

LoneYote
09-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Only thing I'd be worried about is people hearing shots, running up, seeing someone with a gun, shooting them, and they just shot some guy that they had seen with a gun, who has just shot someone who they had seen with a gun, who had just shot someone who they had seen with a gun, while the actual active shooter is still running around. I just know some thick people, but overall I would feel comfortable with it.

Same argument used against civilians and plain cloths LEOs?

Colt-45
09-24-2013, 1:14 AM
Why only military?

Civi verision has been in congress for a while to no avail.

I am sure some sort of protocol can be arranged.

Artema
09-24-2013, 6:52 AM

Same argument for anyone, yes. Much prefer myself and my fellow active duty members be armed than having a gun free zone on base. Just seems ridiculous that military has become an easy target because of gun control.

Sunday
09-24-2013, 7:22 AM
Some people watch too much TV.

Untamed1972
09-24-2013, 8:32 AM
Yep...always funny how the anti's cry that only LEO and Military should have guns.......then turn around and tell military they can't carry guns. :rolleyes:

voiceofreason
09-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Israelis understand that their soldiers should be ARMED.

Our military doesn't trust our soldiers' & the training they provided to them.

dustoff31
09-24-2013, 2:50 PM
Small problem - US Mil fall under UCMJ & chain of command. If should the bill pass it won't do service members much good unless the UCMJ is also amended to take the CCW decision away from the command structure.

The restriction is not based on an article of the UCMJ. It is simply DOD policy. If congress should pass a law and tell DOD that this is their new policy, then it will be their new policy. That said, I don't think it will happen.

allpoint
09-25-2013, 8:54 AM
I always carried conceal on base while stationed in CA. I didn't realize you couldn't carry conceal on base. I was under the impression if you followed the state laws that you were in and was permitted in that state you could carry conceal.

Artema
09-25-2013, 9:50 AM
I always carried conceal on base while stationed in CA. I didn't realize you couldn't carry conceal on base. I was under the impression if you followed the state laws that you were in and was permitted in that state you could carry conceal.

I heard about a fellow instructor a year or two before I got here to Vandenberg. One day he pulled up his ABU top and showed his class his concealed handgun. He didn't get in much trouble, since, like you, he was legally CCW and all that. After the initial freak out, he was just briefed on the Clinton ban and asked to not do it again. I don't think he even got paperwork.

Zimz
09-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Not to thread jack, but this brings up a good question. I know we aren't allowed to carry on base, but lets say I want to arm up when I get out the gate. Do any of you military guys know if it's legal to CC in uniform while off base/duty (assuming properly licensed by the state)?

Artema
09-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Not to thread jack, but this brings up a good question. I know we aren't allowed to carry on base, but lets say I want to arm up when I get out the gate. Do any of you military guys know if it's legal to CC in uniform while off base/duty (assuming properly licensed by the state)?

I imagine that those who are allowed to carry on base would be able to use it as justification to get a county CCW from their stingy Sheriffs.

Legasat
09-26-2013, 6:46 PM
Texas Rep. Stockman Introducing Bill Allowing Military to Carry on Bases

Allow them? It should be mandatory!

rugershooter
09-26-2013, 9:10 PM
In my opinion, it should be mandatory for all on duty and uniformed military personnel to be armed with a handgun, regardless of rate/MOS. This bill is the second best option. I highly doubt it'll happen, but I definitely support it.

Artema
09-26-2013, 9:14 PM
In my opinion, it should be mandatory for all on duty and uniformed military personnel to be armed with a handgun, regardless of rate/MOS. This bill is the second best option. I highly doubt it'll happen, but I definitely support it.

I disagree a little. I think it should be limited to people of a certain rank. I would not want my non-prior service 1 level students to be armed. Maybe E-4 and O-2?

rugershooter
09-26-2013, 9:20 PM
Good point. Maybe limit it to those who have gone through a higher level of training than from boot camp. Either way, my thinking is that the military shouldn't be relying on civilian police (Ft. Hood, and Washington, D.C.) to intervene. We already have a force of trained people who we trust to have the judgement and skill to use a weapon while armed on guard duty. That doesn't suddenly change when not in a guard duty status.

IrishJoe3
09-28-2013, 7:31 AM
LOL never going to happen. Just wrapped up some training on an Army post....even the internet had a filter that block ANY website that had to do with weapons or firearms, to include CalGuns and the CMP.

Considering I'm a Soldier, who shoots guns, I found it funny in a slap yourself sort of way.

IrishJoe3
09-28-2013, 7:33 AM

No, I wouldn't. The thought of some Soldiers with a handgun is...scary.

Artema
09-28-2013, 8:16 AM
LOL never going to happen. Just wrapped up some training on an Army post....even the internet had a filter that block ANY website that had to do with weapons or firearms, to include CalGuns and the CMP.

Considering I'm a Soldier, who shoots guns, I found it funny in a slap yourself sort of way.

Weird. I have full access to Calguns and SIGtalk, etc. It's my car sites that seem to be blocked, haha.