PDA

View Full Version : What is the requirement for residence in a county for a CCW?

acrostoa
01-17-2008, 12:43 AM
I live in Sacramento County but my father lives in Shasta County. Can I have my phone bill mailed to his house to establish residency in Shasta so I can apply for a CCW there? Is there any legal loopholes that would work in my favor?

tenpercentfirearms
01-17-2008, 6:41 AM
No and no. You would be falsifying your information and if they caught you doing this, you might even be guilty of a crime.

You either live in the county or you don't. If you are going to try break the law by falsly claiming you live someone you don't, why not just break the law and illegally carry concealed?

Or, just don't break the law. Sorry, there are no loopholes, just compliance. :(

Knauga
01-17-2008, 6:45 AM
If you move to Shasta County that is one thing, if you are trying to game the system they'll catch on to it.

Most counties take a very dim view of being used as "bedroom communities" for people who really live in CCW unfriendly places but are using an address in their county for the purpose of getting a CCW. I don't know how Shasta works, but my county sends a detective out unannounced with the applicants picture. If he catches you at home he'll verify you against the picture, if not he'll ask the neighboring homes if you live there. If caught at a minimum you'll be denied the permit for cause, you *could* be prosecuted for making false statements on the application.

BTW, if your father has a CCW in Shasta and they catch you doing this, they may yank his as well.

Knauga
01-17-2008, 6:48 AM
Also, having your phone bill from Sacramento mailed to the Shasta address does nothing to verify your residency anywhere but Sacramento. They want to see things like utility bills at that residence in your name as well as things like a deed or rental agreement etc.

QuarterBoreGunner
01-17-2008, 9:25 AM
The permit is issued by the Sheriff of the county you live in, or the Chief of police of the town you live in... OR the Sheriff/Chief of where you are employed; mainly if the permit is dependent upon your line of work.

SemiAutoSam
01-17-2008, 10:31 AM
On top of this they may notice that the area code associated with the phone bill is 916 and not 530.

That right there would be enough to tip them off if nothing else did.

Also, having your phone bill from Sacramento mailed to the Shasta address does nothing to verify your residency anywhere but Sacramento. They want to see things like utility bills at that residence in your name as well as things like a deed or rental agreement etc.

spencerhut
01-17-2008, 10:40 AM
If you, or -anyone- you know has been turned down for a CCW in writing, you might want to contact the NRA. Many counties in California issue CCW permits on a fairly regular basis, my wife and I both have CCW permits and it was not difficult at all.

Counties that generally do not issue CCW permits to people need to be methodically tracked and pushed towards issuance to law abiding citizens. The best way to get a wider issuance of CCW permits in counties that generally do not issue permits to law abiding citizens is to report, along with all supporting documentation, the denial to the NRA. The NRA wants to help law abiding gun owners, it's what they are in existence for. We need to do our part and supply them with as many cases of denial and the documentation for denial as possible.

If you need help submitting information to the NRA please contact me and I'll help you.

Spencer

CSDGuy
01-17-2008, 11:28 AM
The permit is issued by the Sheriff of the county you live in, or the Chief of police of the town you live in... OR the Sheriff/Chief of where you are employed; mainly if the permit is dependent upon your line of work.
These are 90 day CCW's and they're only good in the county they're issued in.

lrdchivalry
01-17-2008, 1:48 PM

I have had a CCW for going on ten years and I have never heard of a 90 day CCW and while you must live in the county where you applied for the CCW, it is good through out the state.

Smokeybehr
01-17-2008, 2:19 PM

PC section, please. :confused:

emc002
01-17-2008, 2:22 PM
I live in Sacramento County but my father lives in Shasta County. Can I have my phone bill mailed to his house to establish residency in Shasta so I can apply for a CCW there? Is there any legal loopholes that would work in my favor?

:troll:

bulgron
01-17-2008, 2:53 PM
What if you split your time evenly between two counties? Do you get to pick your county of residence, or is there more to it than just time spent in a county?

For that matter, what if I spend 3 months a year in one county and the rest in another? Can I declare the 3 month county my county of residence?

Librarian
01-17-2008, 3:13 PM
I think I'd want to follow the proof of residence requirements for handgun purchase from PC 12071 (C) Commencing January 1, 2003, no handgun may be delivered unless the purchaser, transferee, or person being loaned the firearm presents documentation indicating that he or she is a California resident. Satisfactory documentation shall include a utility bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed, or military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within this state, or other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice.If I had those from locations in two counties (where I actually stayed, not owned and rented/leased to someone else), I'd say the place I was registered to vote.

But trying to game the system is a Bad Idea.

Knauga
01-17-2008, 5:03 PM
PC section, please. :confused:

PC12050 (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12050.php)

PC 12050. (a)(1)(E)(ii) If the licensee's place of employment or business was the basis for issuance of the license pursuant to subparagraph (A) of paragraph (1), the license is valid for any period of time not to exceed 90 days from the date of the license. The license shall be valid only in the county in which the license was originally issued. The licensee shall give a copy of this license to the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which he or she resides. The licensing authority that originally issued the license shall inform the licensee verbally and in writing in at least 16-point type of this obligation to give a copy of the license to the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county of residence. Any application to renew or extend the validity of, or reissue, the license may be granted only upon the concurrence of the licensing authority that originally issued the license and the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which the licensee resides.

nhanson
01-17-2008, 6:03 PM
I actually live in two counties, Kern and Orange. My principle place of residence is in Kern and the address on my CDL. Taxes, voting and all official business goes to the Kern address. My firearms are associated with the Kern address and my CCW is in Kern since my CDL is my official residence (Also, my primary justification for CCW occurred in Kern, the sheriffs office urged me three times to apply....I finally did!). I'm back and forth all the time and truly spend 50/50 but, I have been told that your CDL address is considered you primary residence. Never had any hassle other than keeping up two houses......Love the country and deal with the city because I need too.

Enjoy

gunrun45
01-17-2008, 8:53 PM
I'm telling you right now that the Shasta county sheriff department takes its requirements very seriously.

You must have been a resident for a least one year and you must provide a utility bill with your name on it listing service address (obvious) on it to prove your residency. They do not accept Driver's license, vehicle registration, etc... as proof of residency. I just went through this in Shasta county with my wife to get her CCW.

nhanson
01-17-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm telling you right now that the Shasta county sheriff department takes its requirements very seriously.

You must have been a resident for a least one year and you must provide a utility bill with your name on it listing service address (obvious) on it to prove your residency. They do not accept Driver's license, vehicle registration, etc... as proof of residency. I just went through this in Shasta county with my wife to get her CCW.

I agree......proof of residency is required and I did need to provide said proof to the Kern Sheriff. The point being, principle residence seems to be the address on your CDL plus your valid proof of residence when you maintain a second residence in our state.

Enjoy

krby
01-18-2008, 7:23 AM

If you're trying to game the system, don't.

If you're someone whose life is not so black and white and you honestly feel like you "live" in a county enough to apply for a CCW there, make your case to the issuing authority. It's all about what the issuing authority believes. As the law stands, they get to make the decision. If you claim you're a resident, they'll likely require proof, just like they'll likely require proof of details in your good cause statement.

Ask the sheriff, police chief, etc. Lay out your situation honestly. I've known people who commuted to one county (or state) M-F for work but lived some place else entirely. (Las Vegas on the weekends, Los Angelese M-F). He rented a room in L.A, owned a house in Las Vegas. No games, he really did reside in Las Vegas. He just worked with me in Los Angeles Mon-Fri.

liketoshoot
01-18-2008, 7:56 AM
If you're trying to game the system, don't.

If you're someone whose life is not so black and white and you honestly feel like you "live" in a county enough to apply for a CCW there, make your case to the issuing authority. It's all about what the issuing authority believes. As the law stands, they get to make the decision. If you claim you're a resident, they'll likely require proof, just like they'll likely require proof of details in your good cause statement.

What is a good cause statment, wait I know what it means but what is a good statment to make. I know there are different reasons for wanting to carry, but what will get the job done and not raise any red flags.
I will be living in the mountains of San Berdo full time come spring and have had a house there for 5 years as I hike alot I would like to carry for double protection from 2 and 4 legged preditors. I know if I say the 2 legged part I will be refused, so how should I word it???

tango-52
01-18-2008, 8:39 AM
What is a good cause statment, wait I know what it means but what is a good statment to make. I know there are different reasons for wanting to carry, but what will get the job done and not raise any red flags.
I will be living in the mountains of San Berdo full time come spring and have had a house there for 5 years as I hike alot I would like to carry for double protection from 2 and 4 legged preditors. I know if I say the 2 legged part I will be refused, so how should I word it???

No one can write your good cause, because it is YOUR good cause. You need to figure out what makes you more susceptible to a criminal attack than the next person. You may find a list posted somewhere saying what "good causes" are, but the Sheriffs have seen those lists and will look at it with dim regard.
If you are in Los Angeles County, your chances of getting a CCW are somewhere between slim and none. No matter how good your good cause may be. Unless you are rich, famous, a Scientologist, or donate heavily to Baca's election fund, and preferrably all of those.
Moving to San Bernardino will help, but you still need to develop your own good cause. Go to www.calccw.com, read the FAQs and think long and hard about your GC. No one over there will write it for you, but there is a lot of guidance on the process.

liketoshoot
01-18-2008, 8:52 AM
No one can write your good cause, because it is YOUR good cause. You need to figure out what makes you more susceptible to a criminal attack than the next person. You may find a list posted somewhere saying what "good causes" are, but the Sheriffs have seen those lists and will look at it with dim regard.
If you are in Los Angeles County, your chances of getting a CCW are somewhere between slim and none. No matter how good your good cause may be. Unless you are rich, famous, a Scientologist, or donate heavily to Baca's election fund, and preferrably all of those.
Moving to San Bernardino will help, but you still need to develop your own good cause. Go to www.calccw.com, read the FAQs and think long and hard about your GC. No one over there will write it for you, but there is a lot of guidance on the process.
Thank you this is what I needed.
You are right that no one can write it but I need the guidance of those that are experienced enough that I don’t blow it. I would hate to be the one to hurt the ability of any of us legal gun owners from becoming a legal CCW.
As to living in LA county I do right now and this is one of the reasons (bacca) that I’m leaving, If Kern County had nicer mountains I would consider moving there, but having been in the area I’m moving to for many years and loving the place and liking the people that are there it is a no brainer to go there.
Thanks for the info.

I just signed up at calccw, thank you again tango-52.