PDA

View Full Version : Lee Enfield Parts--help me fix a sporterized No4 MK1

thenodnarb
09-23-2013, 6:19 PM
I want to restore a bubba'd Enfield no 4 MK1. It seems a lot of these were sporterized back in the day, and I want to bring it back to its former glory.

It basically looks like this:
http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv240/jessejamesaaa/Sold/LeeEnfield4230.jpg

I'm a little leary of Numrich to buy replacement parts. My stock is in good condition and is walnut. I'd like the wood to match, at least the species, and numrich sometimes mismatches wood species to get a complete stock set. Their new walnut parts don't have the metal on the front hand guard. Does anyone have experience with these rifles or with replacing parts? Do you have a favorite supplier? any help is appreciated.

VegasND
09-23-2013, 8:23 PM
I bought my son a #4 a couple of years ago that looked a lot like yours; metal uncut but the wood butchered and missing stock hardware. Nobody had all the parts needed in one place so we had to buy what we could where we could. We (mostly me) spent a lot of time searching different vendors to come up with the pieces. Parts came from Numrich, Sarco, Liberty Tree and others. Be patient and keep looking; the hardest parts to find at the time were correct swivels and the proper front swivel was the last part located. Lately swivels have been fairly common.

Check sites like surplusrifleforum.com - watch their for sale forum and post wtb threads.

When you get it restored you'll have a great rifle to shoot.

TMB 1
09-23-2013, 9:00 PM
Check Sarco look on their web site and check their Shotgun News adds they list stuff there that's not listed on their website.

Maybe just call them they may have everything you need.

gunboat
09-23-2013, 9:54 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a good as issued one and sell yours?

VegasND
09-24-2013, 4:51 AM
Dollar-wise the restoration can easily exceed the cost of just buying one. If you count your time you'll be way behind. Having a cool project and the satisfaction of restoring a great rifle to its proper condition is the best reason to do something like this.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a good as issued one and sell yours?

glassparman
09-24-2013, 5:11 AM
Plenty of parts to be found on fleabay. I have restored one that way.

TMB 1
09-24-2013, 7:44 AM
Check Sarco look on their web site and check their Shotgun News adds they list stuff there that's not listed on their website.

Maybe just call them they may have everything you need.

Just looked on Sarco website #4 stock set $69.95 and $39.95 for complete set of #4 stock hardware.

smle-man
09-24-2013, 5:37 PM
Springfield Sporters is an excellent source of Lee Enfield parts. They have nice condition stuff. About 25 years ago they bought about 6 sea containers of parts direct from the RSA and it was all primo. They are running out though so move fast.

bloodhawke83
09-24-2013, 8:51 PM
Just looked on Sarco website #4 stock set $69.95 and $39.95 for complete set of #4 stock hardware.

How you see the prices? I don't see it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

thenodnarb
09-24-2013, 8:55 PM
Man, reading those sarco ads is like reading a Dr. Bronner's ad.
http://images.wikia.com/creepypasta/images/8/8d/WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

I'm intrigued they have a stock kit and hardware kit. I wonder what species of wood it might be?? Will it match my buttstock? Anyone have experience from sarco? Did you get good stuff or junk?

TMB 1
09-24-2013, 9:12 PM
I haven't bought the #4 stock so I don't know what species it would be. I did buy the stock hardware and it is excellent.

TMB 1
09-24-2013, 9:19 PM
How you see the prices? I don't see it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

On esarco site Page 5 lee enfield section even has pictures.

mosinnagantm9130
09-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Springfield Sporters is an excellent source of Lee Enfield parts. They have nice condition stuff. About 25 years ago they bought about 6 sea containers of parts direct from the RSA and it was all primo. They are running out though so move fast.

This^^

I've bought from SS before, the parts were exactly as described.

thenodnarb
09-25-2013, 8:12 AM
On esarco site Page 5 lee enfield section even has pictures.

He's probably on the old site. The new site has prices:
https://www.e-sarcoinc.com/
I found that out when I called to place an order. Their system is down and he directed me to the new site to place an order online.
Unfortunately their "like new" quality stocks were out of stock so I ordered the "used" set.I was able to get everything I need for about 100.

So now that I've taken care of that, can anyone comment on the comb height of the enfield stock? I am nowhere close to getting a cheekweld on the stock when looking through the sights. Is that common? I know they sell a "sniper" comb that screws on that raises the height, but that looks out of place on a non sniper enfield.

FMJBT
09-25-2013, 8:28 AM
So now that I've taken care of that, can anyone comment on the comb height of the enfield stock? I am nowhere close to getting a cheekweld on the stock when looking through the sights. Is that common? I know they sell a "sniper" comb that screws on that raises the height, but that looks out of place on a non sniper enfield.

It almost looks like the comb height on your stock has been reduced slightly. Could just be the picture, but it looks like the stock flares up a bit right before the butt plate, like it might have had some of the comb area sanded or filed down at some point.

I find the standard stocks to be just about perfect for my face/eyeball to get a good sight alignment. That's one of the things I like most about the Enfield rifles is the overall ergonomics and how easy it is to get on target quickly.

mj1
09-25-2013, 8:35 AM
I think this has covered all the sources. Good luck

thenodnarb
09-25-2013, 11:18 AM
It almost looks like the comb height on your stock has been reduced slightly. Could just be the picture, but it looks like the stock flares up a bit right before the butt plate, like it might have had some of the comb area sanded or filed down at some point.

I find the standard stocks to be just about perfect for my face/eyeball to get a good sight alignment. That's one of the things I like most about the Enfield rifles is the overall ergonomics and how easy it is to get on target quickly.

The rifle in the picture isn't the rifle I'm working on. It looks an awful lot like it though(I found this picture on the net). Some company must have done a lot of these in the past because I see a lot that look alike. Maybe this stock kit from sarco will have a stock with a different height that works better.

So last question. Has anyone installed one of those micrometer sights for the enfield. Sarco has one that has windage and elevation adjustments. That looks pretty cool to me. The sight on there now only has two peeps(300 and 600) and no windage adjustment. I assume windage is accomplished by drifting the front sight and elevation is adjusted by replacing the front sight with a different height sight.

TMB 1
09-28-2013, 6:40 PM
The rifle in the picture isn't the rifle I'm working on. It looks an awful lot like it though(I found this picture on the net). Some company must have done a lot of these in the past because I see a lot that look alike. Maybe this stock kit from sarco will have a stock with a different height that works better.

So last question. Has anyone installed one of those micrometer sights for the enfield. Sarco has one that has windage and elevation adjustments. That looks pretty cool to me. The sight on there now only has two peeps(300 and 600) and no windage adjustment. I assume windage is accomplished by drifting the front sight and elevation is adjusted by replacing the front sight with a different height sight.

Mine is a #4 mkII and already has micrometer sight, so I couldn't tell you about installing on mkI.

Did you remember to order a pig sticker:D

G-Man WC
09-28-2013, 6:59 PM
https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/30_127

-g