PDA

View Full Version : NY 2nd amendment signs being stolen....guess who the perp is..

jmonte35
09-23-2013, 2:44 PM
This is unbelievable.....taking away someones 1st amendment rights....not only that but stealing and trespassing.

Lots of fail....can't wait to see this in the news.

This story has been developing since the beginning of September. I don't want to give too many details because the thread is fantastic.

Not sure if any of you Calgun lawyers can respond to the legality...

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/60634-so-remember-my-repeal-safe-act-sign-issue.html

Librarian
09-23-2013, 2:55 PM
Interesting thread over there, but not California.

readysetgo
09-23-2013, 3:04 PM
Daaaaaaaannnnnnggg! That's crazy stuff there.

jmonte35
09-23-2013, 3:06 PM
Any legal savvy guys on here?? whats the deal....legal or not?

glock_this
09-23-2013, 3:20 PM
For those that don't want to sift through 21 pages... it seems the local cops were taking his signs, not a bad neighbor he had suspected. Pretty interesting story and turn of events. But without being a forum member, we cannot see the photos.

Cool Custard
09-23-2013, 3:28 PM
I read the entire thread about all of what's going on! It was awesome!

This should go in off topic so more people read it!

I am tempted to join their forum just so I can see the pics!

GJC
09-23-2013, 3:38 PM
Wow!!!

Tommy C
09-23-2013, 3:52 PM
Wow!

stilly
09-23-2013, 3:59 PM
This is a funny thread, talk about a low-buget thriller...

Here are a few pics. I did not grab ALL revisions of the sign.

Looks like the camera caught him giving it a HA-HIYA! and then he kicked it...

FOR the record, looking at that street and how it is setup, I, acting as a CEO would have said that it was probably in the Public Right-Of-Way and I too would have removed it. HOWEVER, I would have made an attempt to contact him first and inform him that his sign was within the PRoW and asked him to move it back another 10-'15' IF the same PRoW applied to his location. In all honesty though I would have ignored it until I received a complaint, then told him what his options were.

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/cg/nyf/1.jpg

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/cg/nyf/2.jpg

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/cg/nyf/3.jpg

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/cg/nyf/4.png

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/cg/nyf/5.jpg

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/cg/nyf/6.jpg

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/cg/nyf/7.jpg

durandal
09-23-2013, 4:18 PM
Shady stuff..

stilly
09-23-2013, 4:25 PM
That looks like a nice place to live too. Too bad it is in NY...

aileron
09-23-2013, 4:32 PM
For those that don't want to sift through 21 pages... it seems the local cops were taking his signs, not a bad neighbor he had suspected. Pretty interesting story and turn of events. But without being a forum member, we cannot see the photos.

It only took a minute to join the forum. Clearly shows the LEO kicking the sign down. But his face is obscured by a branch.

err never mind stilly posted the pics. :D

bigdawg86
09-23-2013, 4:35 PM
Wow

Darryl Licht
09-23-2013, 5:16 PM
SO... not all LEO's are pro 2A!

LOL!

bohoki
09-23-2013, 6:44 PM
neat they should bring printouts to the police and complain about a person impersonating a police officer

chainsaw
09-23-2013, 8:07 PM
Does anyone who is complaining so loudly here know the rules for posting campaign signs?

Since I order large quantities of campaign signs, and organize volunteers placing them, I happen to know the rules. And I can tell you that a considerable fraction of campaign signs are placed illegally (my organizations try to do their best to get it right, but we're nowhere near 100%). To begin with, you can only post yard signs on private property with permission of the owner. A surprisingly large part of the US is private property (front yards typically are, and the sidewalk is often private property of the resident, with a public easement over it). And you can not post them on public property too close to traffic lanes, for safety reasons.

While I don't know the details on this particular case, it is perfectly possible that this LEO was removing signs that have been placed illegally. That's his job.

chainsaw
09-23-2013, 8:08 PM
Another common occurrence is opposing campaigns removing signs. That can either be done by outright stealing them (from places where they have been legally placed), or removing them from areas where they should not have been placed in the first place (which is on the edge of illegal, by removing the sign the opposing campaign is committing trespass and theft, but they can claim the moral high ground).

The most fun is if the opposing campaign steals your signs, then modifies them by pasting something over them, and puts them back. My campaigns have been the victim of that occasionally; our signs that used to say "Vote Adam for County dogcatcher" suddenly become "Vote Bob for County cat chaser", or our "Yes on Measure X" becomes "No on Measure Y". Much fun. I have a file an inch thick with police reports (anytime someone steals our signs or defaces them, I call the local LEOs, and get a report done). Occasionally those files are then used in filing complaints with the FPPC or FEC. Not much ever comes of it, but it makes for good fun.

EDITed to add: To be 100% clear: I do not endorse anyone placing signs in illegal locations, or removing signs, or defacing and replacing signs, or pulling signs that were placed by other people. As a political campaign, you have to be above suspicion, like Caesar's wife. Which means being super-careful to follow the rules.

readysetgo
09-23-2013, 8:27 PM
I have a file an inch thick with police reports (anytime someone steals our signs or defaces them, I call the local LEOs, and get a report done).
:rofl: The irony here is killing me.

Rickrock1
09-23-2013, 8:37 PM
Steer hard Right Rand Paul 2016

Rand Paul 2016

jmonte35
09-23-2013, 9:53 PM
Guys crap just hit the fan on this. Creating a big news event. Can someone get this in a more viewed area???!!

kaligaran
09-23-2013, 10:03 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/23/fed-up-ny-man-sets-up-hidden-camera-to-find-out-who-was-repeatedly-stealing-his-pro-gun-sign-what-he-discovered-blew-him-away/

SonofWWIIDI
09-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Interesting. Hope he sticks with he signs and follows up on complaints against the sign stealer!

cranemech
09-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Looks like 4chan is waiting in the wings :popcorn:

Today, 06:27 PM #692
Private
Trader Rating
Hi, 4chan here. You've got us pretty riled up, though that happens several times an hour so don't get too excited. In any case, we're very good at doxing people, and while we'll lose interest in this after a couple of hours, if you're in the mood to enlist several million idiots with literally nothing better to do with our time to make this guy's life a living hell, just let us know.

For a quick CV, we've done so much manical stuff that the FBI has investigated our administrator more than once. That administrator, by the way, was Time's man of the year thanks to us tampering with their voting results. Our /k/ board is redneck to the bone, our /pol/ board is filled with neo-nazis, and our /b/ board comprises the single largest concentration of utter retardation on the entire internet. More than once we've driven people to comit suicide on live video stream. We've compromized the email accounts major politicians. We're probably indirectly responsible for at least one military overthrow of a third world government.

And we're on your side.
CrackSlinger, Robhimself and The_Question like this.
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Artema
09-24-2013, 10:38 AM
This punk kept stealing this guy's pro-2A signs in his yard. Check it out!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/23/fed-up-ny-man-sets-up-hidden-camera-to-find-out-who-was-repeatedly-stealing-his-pro-gun-sign-what-he-discovered-blew-him-away/

A man in Somers, N.Y., hatched a plan to catch the individual responsible for allegedly stealing his pro-gun signs repeatedly from his front yard. He bought a trail cam, set it up near the sign — and then waited.

When he learned that his sign had been taken yet again, he was elated because he knew he had finally caught the person responsible on camera.

He just didn’t expect that person to be a uniformed police officer.

Link to original thread on NY Firearms forum. (http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/60634-so-remember-my-repeal-safe-act-sign-issue.html)

Maestro Pistolero
09-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Dupe.

Artema
09-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Dupe.

I did a search.

Ron-Solo
09-24-2013, 11:14 AM
It will be interesting to see if the officer took action on his own, or if the sign was taken down because it was in violation of local zoning ordinances. The homeowner admitted he was instructed by a city inspector to remove it.

Unfortunately, the story is from "The Blaze" which really isn't interested in telling an unbiased version.

If it was not in violation of ordinances, it should be left alone.

indetrucks
09-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Fack The Blaze, read the real thread for yourself here

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/60634-so-remember-my-repeal-safe-act-sign-issue.html

And yes, it's a dupe. Was posted here yesterday (somewhere)

Ron-Solo
09-24-2013, 11:18 AM
It will be interesting to see if the officer took action on his own, or if the sign was taken down because it was in violation of local zoning ordinances. The homeowner admitted he was instructed by a city inspector to remove it.

Unfortunately, the story is from "The Blaze" which really isn't interested in telling an unbiased version.

If it was not in violation of ordinances, it should be left alone.

Henry Shooter
09-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Went on to check it out and they were carrying on about running over a rabbit.... OK.

cress
09-24-2013, 11:30 AM
For those unaware:

If you are reading the NYFirearms forum. Know that Nyshooter1 is an attorney working with Tresmond Law on two separate cases challenging parts of NYSAFE act. thecelt (the guy who had his signs stolen) has been in communication with Nyshooter1 deciding on a course of action.

I must say, I have been following the thread at NYF since before this was anything and its quite entertaining watching this thing blow up.

ivanimal
09-24-2013, 12:08 PM
For those unaware:

If you are reading the NYFirearms forum. Know that Nyshooter1 is an attorney working with Tresmond Law on two separate cases challenging parts of NYSAFE act. thecelt (the guy who had his signs stolen) has been in communication with Nyshooter1 deciding on a course of action.

I must say, I have been following the thread at NYF since before this was anything and its quite entertaining watching this thing blow up.

Indeed.

Thecelt
09-24-2013, 5:21 PM
Hey guys, I appreciate the support. This thing has grown beyond any expectation. I'm really proud and glad to bring so much attention to our fight! I'm incredibly tired and drained from the day. I've given phone interviews, local news crew was at my house earlier and the media outlets keep calling.. gotta get some rest now.

BigStiCK
09-24-2013, 5:25 PM
Just read the entire thread & joined/ posted.
Will be following closely.

fr33domfightr
09-24-2013, 6:51 PM
Hey guys, I appreciate the support. This thing has grown beyond any expectation. I'm really proud and glad to bring so much attention to our fight! I'm incredibly tired and drained from the day. I've given phone interviews, local news crew was at my house earlier and the media outlets keep calling.. gotta get some rest now.

Hey, what up?!!!

I went to the ny site and read as much as I could yesterday, but that thread is really long. Seems you and the others have had quite the experience and anticipation of getting your neighbor in the photo...lol. I guess things don't always go as planned. Had to join up just to see the photos myself, amazing!! Now it looks like things have gotten edited, but that's cool. Perhaps a 1st amendment lawsuit might come of this. We'll all be interested in that, I'm sure.

I gotta say, excellent work with that trail cam! And welcome! East meets West, for sure!!

SacTown
09-24-2013, 7:45 PM

Hopefully this little story makes it to the national news level. Doubt it but it would be pretty entertaining if it did. People need to open their eyes. Keep up the good fight.

Thecelt
09-25-2013, 4:47 AM
thanks guys! my younger brother is a CA resident and a gun owner as well so ive been a member here since 12' to keep up on laws that effect him.

as for this story, it sure is crazy, and not what was expected. im going to take this as far as it needs to go to create as much awareness for what the founding fathers fought for! THE CONSTITUTION AND OUR BILL OF RIGHTS!

with that said, i cant divulge the details yet because its not finalized but i was contacted by a national mainstream media outlet for a sit down TV interview.. if it comes to be, i will post details on this forum, and my home forum. thanks for the support guys, and i know your fight is as brutal here as it is in NY! we cannot let the leftists take this country away from our children so its time for our big boy boots!

indetrucks
09-25-2013, 5:23 AM
thanks guys! my younger brother is a CA resident and a gun owner as well so ive been a member here since 12' to keep up on laws that effect him.

as for this story, it sure is crazy, and not what was expected. im going to take this as far as it needs to go to create as much awareness for what the founding fathers fought for! THE CONSTITUTION AND OUR BILL OF RIGHTS!

with that said, i cant divulge the details yet because its not finalized but i was contacted by a national mainstream media outlet for a sit down TV interview.. if it comes to be, i will post details on this forum, and my home forum. thanks for the support guys, and i know your fight is as brutal here as it is in NY! we cannot let the leftists take this country away from our children so its time for our big boy boots!

YES!!!!
Fight a good fight brotha! Heard your interview yesterday and you are very well spoken and sound intelligent. A perfect figure to represent and defend our rights IMO!
Keep us updated :)

jmonte35
09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Made it to Foxnews!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/25/hidden-camera-catches-culprit-taking-man-second-amendment-sign/

readysetgo
09-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Made it to Foxnews!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/25/hidden-camera-catches-culprit-taking-man-second-amendment-sign/

Somers Town Supervisor Mary Beth Murphy told FoxNews.com that the signs were indeed on public property -- within 15 feet of the road -- and were removed to comply with town ordinances.
15' seems large but I wouldn't know anyway. Guess the officer was just "doing his duty." :mad:

It's going to become a right of way issue now, still ridiculous and singly the guy out IMO.

POLICESTATE
09-25-2013, 12:15 PM
15' seems large but I wouldn't know anyway. Guess the officer was just "doing his duty." :mad:

It's going to become a right of way issue now, still ridiculous and singly the guy out IMO.

15' is large. Normally the easement is about 5', at least it was where I grew up in So Cal.

jmonte35
09-25-2013, 1:11 PM
15' is large. Normally the easement is about 5', at least it was where I grew up in So Cal.

RoW doesn't mean they can destroy private property or stop protected speech on that property. A citation should have been issued and the sign should not have been damaged. If you leave your car on the side of the road they have to tow it...not take an axe to it and pick up the pieces this is in relation to "public property". The sign was on private property where the town "may" have an RoW.

It is still private property....the town has an RoW to repair phone lines etc. not to destroy property without contact with the landowner. Many peoples garages come within 15' of the road...they can't come in with a wrecking ball and take it out. This is clearly a violation plain and simple.

POLICESTATE
09-25-2013, 1:20 PM
RoW doesn't mean they can destroy private property or stop protected speech on that property. A citation should have been issued and the sign should not have been damaged. If you leave your car on the side of the road they have to tow it...not take an axe to it and pick up the pieces this is in relation to "public property". The sign was on private property where the town "may" have an RoW.

It is still private property....the town has an RoW to repair phone lines etc. not to destroy property without contact with the landowner. Many peoples garages come within 15' of the road...they can't come in with a wrecking ball and take it out. This is clearly a violation plain and simple.

I wholeheartedly agree. Easement is one thing, taking your property or destroying it is another.

I wonder if the city and police officer would have treated the situation a little differently if the sign had instead said "Support TOWNNAME Police."

Thecelt
09-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks for all the support guys! Will do in studio interview with Fox and Friends tomorrow morning in NYC.

edgerly779
09-26-2013, 11:14 AM
The fat bald cop has nothing better to do. To fat to run down a suspect.

SacTown
09-26-2013, 3:11 PM
Thanks for all the support guys! Will do in studio interview with Fox and Friends tomorrow morning in NYC.

Good luck!

mag360
09-26-2013, 8:09 PM
Ill be watching you on fox and friends! Its what 4am west coast?

Thecelt
09-27-2013, 7:01 AM
For anyone who wants to see the fox news interview on fox and friends here is the link..

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2698777971001/caught-on-camera--cop-kicks-down-second-amendment-sign/?playlist_id=921261890001