PDA

View Full Version : Seeking recommendation for lawyer for consultation re:LEGR

bcDeL
09-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Turned in my guns to the local PD for safe-keeping as a stipulation for my divorce proceedings. Nothing was said about LEGR forms - I was told I would get my guns back once the divorce was finalized. Well, I am officially divorced and now I am being told by the doj that the LEGR form that my local PD requires will take 12-14 weeks to be completed.
Problem is, I am scheduled to move to texas within the month.

I'm located in the bay area and would prefer to work with someone local.

Tincon
09-23-2013, 11:50 AM
What do you hope to accomplish?

CAL. PEN. CODE 12021.3 :
(a)(1)Any person who claims title to any firearm that is in the custody or control of a court or law enforcement agency and who wishes to have the firearm returned to him or her shall make application for a determination by the Department of Justice as to whether he or she is eligible to possess a firearm.

That is the law, the PD must follow it. From your statement it's not even clear that anyone said otherwise. The good news is the DOJ is supposed to return LEGR requests within 30 days (also law). It's been while since I have done one, but as I recall it came back in a few weeks.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
09-23-2013, 11:59 AM
You might convince them to transfer the guns to an FFL. The FFL can then ship them to an FFL in TX. Just and idea.

The LEGR is taking 2-3 months right now. They even made a retired police lieutenant friend of mine do a LEGR for a recovered Glock that was stolen from him 20 years ago.

Greg David
Eddy's Shooting Sports
400 Moffett Blvd.,Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043
(660)969-GUNS

T-F 12-7 Sat 11-5
Closed Sun/Mon

bcDeL
09-23-2013, 2:05 PM
I will certainly ask about the PD to FFL to FFL option.

cr250chevy
10-06-2013, 8:50 AM
You might convince them to transfer the guns to an FFL. The FFL can then ship them to an FFL in TX. Just and idea.

The LEGR is taking 2-3 months right now. They even made a retired police lieutenant friend of mine do a LEGR for a recovered Glock that was stolen from him 20 years ago.

Greg David
Eddy's Shooting Sports
400 Moffett Blvd.,Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043
(660)969-GUNS

T-F 12-7 Sat 11-5
Closed Sun/Mon

I think I am familiar with that Glock! ;) Recovered a couple of months ago?
Did they release it to him?

Eddy's Shooting Sports
10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Not yet. Can you believe it? I guess even retired cops can't be trusted with guns these days. The system is getting more screwed up every day.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
(650)969-GUNS

jaymz
10-10-2013, 7:15 AM
I don't know that there's anything an attorney can do for you, but if so, hopefully your firearms attorney is better than your divorce attorney. I don't think I'd ever have agreed to such a stipulation.