PDA

View Full Version : cable tie legal as a lock for pistol case?

sloguy
01-16-2008, 4:14 PM
my question is if a cable tie( the ones you must cut off) would be a legal alternative to a keyed lock for a pistol case. i tried the search but couldnt find what i wanted to know.

G17GUY
01-16-2008, 4:25 PM
maybe you can just rap the gun in tinfoil.:TFH:

In all serious whats wrong with a small lock?

sloguy
01-16-2008, 4:34 PM
maybe you can just rap the gun in tinfoil.:TFH:

In all serious whats wrong with a small lock?

obviously, i dislike them. cable ties are lighter and they dont have pointy edges that can damage other things in my backpack. the corner of a lock punching thru a soda can ruin your mood on a shooting trip. and the hassle of cleaning up the soda.
besides that i hate keys and forgeting them. or taking the wrong keys. id rather keep a pile of cable ties under my foam and use new ones after each trip.

pnkssbtz
01-16-2008, 5:27 PM
obviously, i dislike them. cable ties are lighter and they dont have pointy edges that can damage other things in my backpack. the corner of a lock punching thru a soda can ruin your mood on a shooting trip. and the hassle of cleaning up the soda.
besides that i hate keys and forgeting them. or taking the wrong keys. id rather keep a pile of cable ties under my foam and use new ones after each trip.

What about combination luggage locks?

tenpercentfirearms
01-16-2008, 5:50 PM
If you cable locked your case and could gain access to it despite it being locked, then it isn't locked. At least that is how I am pretty sure law enforcement is going to see it and arrest you accordingly.

Locked means locked. You should not be able to gain access to the case while it is locked. Just use common sense.

If you want to put a loose fitting cable lock around the handle so you can still get into it and want to make that it is indeed locked when a LEO pulls you over, let us know how it goes. :eek:

c good
01-16-2008, 5:56 PM
I have a well educated buddy that uses cable ties on his pistol cases in a pinch. He swears it's considered a locked case at that point. Personally, I prefer a hard locked case, with small keyed pad locks, but that's just me. I prefer to over do than under do when it comes to staying legal. HTH c good

aplinker
01-16-2008, 5:57 PM
He said cable ties, not cable lock. I don't think that's his point, but rather he'd like to use this, to keep from using metal:
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Canister%20Stands/Images/Cable_Tie.jpg

I've wondered about that, too. I'm guessing no. Send a letter to DOJ.

If you cable locked your case and could gain access to it despite it being locked, then it isn't locked. At least that is how I am pretty sure law enforcement is going to see it and arrest you accordingly.

Locked means locked. You should not be able to gain access to the case while it is locked. Just use common sense.

If you want to put a loose fitting cable lock around the handle so you can still get into it and want to make that it is indeed locked when a LEO pulls you over, let us know how it goes. :eek:

Jicko
01-16-2008, 6:17 PM

He said "cable tie"....... ie. "tie wrap", "zip tie", etc.... i assumed.... :confused:

Jicko
01-16-2008, 6:20 PM
:D

Maybe..... if you cannot open it with the use for a tool..... then it is a "locked case"..... ha ha ha

Or.... maybe it needs a "key"? lol....

Rob P.
01-16-2008, 6:26 PM
Using a cable tie in place of a lock is NOT legal.

PC 12016.1(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device.

M. Sage
01-16-2008, 6:27 PM
Hmm, actually I don't see why not. It's no less secure than my soft-side case with the locking zipper.

Speaking of which: you could always put a lock on the outside of your range bag. That'd be perfectly legal, too. Ace Hardware carries small (cheap!) combo locks that you can change the combination on. They fit through larger heavy-duty zippers.

sloguy
01-16-2008, 6:59 PM
Hmm, actually I don't see why not. It's no less secure than my soft-side case with the locking zipper.

Speaking of which: you could always put a lock on the outside of your range bag. That'd be perfectly legal, too. Ace Hardware carries small (cheap!) combo locks that you can change the combination on. They fit through larger heavy-duty zippers.

i think youve hit on the best idea so far. just lock the whole bag.

magsnubby
01-16-2008, 7:27 PM
I don't think i would try it. I would think "locked" would mean a case secured with a pad lock not a zip tie. I wouldn't want to have to argue the meaning of "locked case" with the DA.

Here's how a clerk (he's retired LEO) explained it to a customer at a local gun store:

"A cable lock won't keep you from being able to open the case slightly. If you run across a cop that's a real stickler for details he could claim you could still access the gun because, even though there's a lock on the case, you could get the gun out of the case without removing the lock. Just go to Wal Mart and buy some small locks cheap".

tyrist
01-16-2008, 7:54 PM
Zip tie is not locked.

tenpercentfirearms
01-16-2008, 9:54 PM
Sorry, I was reading it on my iPhone at the airport. Well just in case he said cable lock. :rolleyes:

pnkssbtz
01-17-2008, 9:42 AM
Sorry, I was reading it on my iPhone at the airport. Well just in case he said cable lock. :rolleyes:

I bet you have a pink sleeve for the iphone =P

Bishop
01-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Head to a hardware store (or a froofy hardware store like ACE or OSH), and get a luggage combination lock (I have one with 4 digits), there are usually plastic or rubber pads you can slip over the body of the lock.

Never thought of a lock corner busting open a soda can! :eek:

sloguy
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Head to a hardware store (or a froofy hardware store like ACE or OSH), and get a luggage combination lock (I have one with 4 digits), there are usually plastic or rubber pads you can slip over the body of the lock.

Never thought of a lock corner busting open a soda can! :eek:

yeah, turns out sodas are quite fragile. glass is even worse. i broke a snapple once. sticky and sharp.

i think locking the whole backpack is the best solution.

Bishop
01-17-2008, 12:18 PM
yeah, turns out sodas are quite fragile. glass is even worse. i broke a snapple once. sticky and sharp.

Make sure your keep your ammo separate!

edit: err, you probably already knew that, but just in case :)

sloguy
01-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Make sure your keep your ammo separate!

i believe that was hashed out a few times in another thread. unless i am mistaken, ammo is fine as long as the gun is unloaded. i believe reliable souces said that even loaded magazines are ok as long as they are not "in" the gun.

1911A-1Fan
01-17-2008, 12:30 PM

"i broke a snapple once. sticky and sharp" In your back pack where you plan to carry your pistol to the range? LMAO. You aren't exactly a poster child for safety. :eek:

sloguy
01-17-2008, 12:52 PM
"i broke a snapple once. sticky and sharp" In your back pack where you plan to carry your pistol to the range? LMAO. You aren't exactly a poster child for safety. :eek:

it was an outdoor area that requires a hike. one backpack.

justinLB
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I was pulled over about 4 years ago on the 605 N. I was headed out to the Barstow area to shoot. I was driving with a 10/22, walther P99, 870 wingmaster and a cheap plastic flare gun:shrug:. Like a young idiot I was driving about 80-85 mph and then out of nowhere I see flashing lights behind me, well long story short all my firearms were "locked" using zip ties and the CHP had no problem what so ever with any of them, just the way I was driving.

Scarecrow Repair
01-17-2008, 12:59 PM

But it's not a glass pistol.

rbgaynor
01-17-2008, 2:17 PM
One thing I do is to take one of those useless mandatory cable locks that seem to pile up and leave one in the glove box of each vehicle - thus I'm never without a lock in a pinch (regular lock gets dropped or lost, etc.).

metalhead357
01-17-2008, 5:13 PM
Anyone doubting the strength of Zip ties obviously has not had the happenstance to have been zippered by the cops with the BIG wrist variety. If Zip ties work as handcuffs....I could easily see a lawyer making the argument that if the cops *lock* people up with them--- then why not a bag?

artherd
01-18-2008, 12:24 AM
CPC 12026.1 (c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device.