PDA

View Full Version : Predictions on the 2014 Midterm elections

Term
09-22-2013, 2:40 PM
Back in 1994 after the federal assault weapons ban passed the democrats had their asses handed to them in the midterms.

The question is will history repeat itself after this latest gun control push ? What are your predictions.

Stewdabaker23
09-22-2013, 2:43 PM
I honestly don't have a clue. If anything the Democrats will get the house and then we screwed. Hopefully we get some people elected who are on our side.

RugerFan777
09-22-2013, 2:56 PM
It all depends how many gun owners turn out. Also how many so called pro gun dems vote pro gun for the first time in their life.

zhyla
09-22-2013, 4:29 PM
Nothing has happened at a federal level (no AW ban renewal, etc).

What happened in CA in 1994? Republicans picked up a couple seats in the assembly and gained a majority. But I really don't think guns are a key issue in this state.

speedrrracer
09-22-2013, 4:40 PM
I'll give you a prediction -- I'll work very hard to get rid of antis during the 2014 midterms

Anyone who values their 2A rights should commit now to doing the same. Break the Dem majority in the Senate, and we can keep more anti Justices from being placed on the Supreme Court. I'd say that's pretty much the most important thing we, as citizens, can possibly accomplish in next year's elections.

AdiosKali
09-23-2013, 4:11 AM
If you hate guns and like part-time jobs, vote democrat.

sd_shooter
09-23-2013, 6:50 AM

Women will be urged to vote with their vaginas, just like last time, and they'll go with D. Jobs be damned:
http://jezebel.com/5955165/obama-wants-you-to-vote-like-your-vagina-depends-on-it
vg9b6pJTbdU

That's half of CA right there. (Except wives/girlfriends of calgunners, hopefully. EDIT: plus female calgunners! )

Whiterabbit
09-23-2013, 8:41 AM
Easy, 2014 will swing moderately hard to the right, and the dems want that. They are already thinking past Obama, and they want the white house in 2016. They want the pendulum swinging to the left in 3 years. Dems need villains, and they can only beat on bohner and the tea party so much before the right gets tired of it and the left gets bored of it.

chainsaw
09-23-2013, 9:19 AM
My prediction: The outcome of the 2014 congressional elections depends mostly on the progress of gerrymandering. The outcome of the 2010 and 2012 elections was already determined by that: the redistricting of 2010 allowed R-led states to create districts that favored republican congressional candidates. Observe how the house majority (of a few dozen seats in favor of the Rs) conflicts with the popular vote for house members (about 1.5 million more votes for democrats than for republicans).

sholling
09-23-2013, 9:46 AM
If Republicans cave on defunding Obamacare and reducing government then the public will lose the last bit of remaining confidence they had in the Rs standing for something and the Democrats may take over the house. On the other hand if they stand firm they'll at least hold onto what they have and maybe gain a few Senate seats.

Anyway for 2014 I predict that hardcore (capital L) Libertarians will work their butts off to play shot blocker and spoil any chance of pro gun rights (small L) libertarian leaning TEA Party Republicans gaining any seats in the house and taking over the Senate. That will put them in an excellent position to moan that Republicans are no longer electable during the 2016 presidential election and urge us all to help Hillary get elected by voting for 3rd party candidates with zero chance of winning. Of course they will blame Hillary's victory and her packing the Supreme Court with anti gun zealots on Republicans. :p

Capybara
09-23-2013, 9:59 AM
My only prediction is that we are all going to be living in a country with Bill Clinton's wife at the helm. How did it get to this? Could she be even worse than BHO?

NOTABIKER
09-23-2013, 1:55 PM
the main stream media will decide who wins. most voters jut believe what they are told by major media.

Mulay El Raisuli
09-23-2013, 2:21 PM
I think things will go great! Colorado showed us the way.

Someone quoted (misquoted, actually) Yamamoto after the recall there & said that the Dems "have awakened a sleeping giant & filled him with a terrible resolve").

Traditionally, the opposition party gains seats in off-year elections. The Dems have (as is the case when any one party has too firm a hold on the reins) gone too far. The NRA is seen as "mainstream" by Them The People & even our enemies know this.

We're going to kick serious butt in 2014.

The Raisuli

RMP91
09-23-2013, 3:40 PM

Someone quoted (misquoted, actually) Yamamoto after the recall there & said that the Dems "have awakened a sleeping giant & filled him with a terrible resolve").

Traditionally, the opposition party gains seats in off-year elections. The Dems have (as is the case when any one party has too firm a hold on the reins) gone too far. The NRA is seen as "mainstream" by Them The People & even our enemies know this.

The Raisuli

Are you the polar opposite of KCBrown or his second cousin that he never talks about? :p :cool:

hardlyworking
09-23-2013, 5:44 PM
Are you the polar opposite of KCBrown or his second cousin that he never talks about? :p :cool:

lol

Its all sunshine and flowers for Mulay!

sd_shooter
09-23-2013, 5:44 PM

The Raisuli

I hope so Raisuli. But I thought the same back when it was Obama vs. Romney and look how that turned out.

Sunday
09-23-2013, 7:04 PM
I have a bad feeling starting in 2014 and if Obama doesn't get reelected for a third term [yeah I know] I predict Hillary 2016.

kaligaran
09-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Women will be urged to vote with their vaginas, just like last time, and they'll go with D. Jobs be damned:
http://jezebel.com/5955165/obama-wants-you-to-vote-like-your-vagina-depends-on-it

Wow I never saw that commercial... WTF!

That's half of CA right there. (Except wives/girlfriends of calgunners, hopefully)

Don't forget about the female calgunners. There's a lot of us here, ya know!

Mulay El Raisuli
09-26-2013, 8:56 AM

LOL! KCBrown (IMHO) suffers from a major case of BGOS (Battered Gun Owner Syndrome). Understandable for a gunnie living in the PRK. But, as bad as things are here, & as bad as things are going to get, the picture nationwide is much rosier.

Think about it, even our enemies know that the vast majority of Americans see the NRA as a "mainstream" organization. Not as way out on the edge. Not even as just another pressure group. But mainstream. A group that speaks for, if not all Americans, for the great middle of them. This is not just big. This is HUGE, & a big part of the reason I see the road ahead as being better than the one behind.

lol

Its all sunshine and flowers for Mulay!

Well, not quite. :)

There is work ahead for us. A LOT of it. The fights won't all go our way. But the shouting from those on The Left is getting more & more shrill. More & more outrageous. And, they are getting angrier & angrier. Because even they can see that their support is dropping more & more.

I hope so Raisuli. But I thought the same back when it was Obama vs. Romney and look how that turned out.

The perfect example of "If you give a fool enough rope, he will eventually hang himself with it."

Yes, I, too had high hopes for 2012. But look at what's happened since. Right after we got Obama for four more years, we had Sandy Hook. Surely that would have allowed him to steamroll over the 2A. And yet, his effort failed.

Then there's a CO recall elections. The talk was that Morse was going to go, but that Giron would likely survive the effort. It would be close, but that she would survive. After all, she was in a district that was solidly (D) & Bloomie was outspending us there big time. And yet, she lost. By an even bigger margin that Morse.

The election was regarded by all the pundits as a "bellwether" on the 2A. That since people on both sides were exerting themselves there, the results could be extrapolated nationwide. They were right.

The reason the anti-Constitutionalists keep changing the definitions (now it's "military grade weapons" that are the bug-a-boo) is because the old ones weren't doing the job of scaring people. The tide HAS turned. It hasn't turned here in the PRK, but when it comes to the 2A, the PRK is NOT going to lead the way anymore.

And if we're bright enough to steal a page from Alinski, we take the offensive & use a recent tragedy for our benefit. The recent massacre in the mall in Kenya gives us a perfect example of a "good guy with a gun" saving lives. We should push that. Someone brighter than I will have to figure out how, but this is something that deserves to be pushed.

The Raisuli

Wrangler John
09-27-2013, 6:29 AM
Some candidate will win, others will loose. About half of all candidates will be morons, three quarters will have decent dental veneers or dentures and white smiles. Those from rural areas will have a collection of casual outdoor clothing for county fairs and NASCAR events. Those from urban areas will look good in Italian wool suits, the women will wear silk scarfs, all will exude slimy smarmy attitudes, all will glad hand with a cold hand from evaporating hand sanitizer. Their hair will make or break them, good styles and coifs of luxurious hair will win, obvious rugs and bad plugs will loose, bald is better than plugs. Big bosoms trump intelligence, sexy wins over matronly, except for Hillary where botox, Olympic Overcoat and embalming fluid improves her chances. Nothing will change.

onethumb
09-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Some candidate will win, others will loose. About half of all candidates will be morons, three quarters will have decent dental veneers or dentures and white smiles. Those from rural areas will have a collection of casual outdoor clothing for county fairs and NASCAR events. Those from urban areas will look good in Italian wool suits, the women will wear silk scarfs, all will exude slimy smarmy attitudes, all will glad hand with a cold hand from evaporating hand sanitizer. Their hair will make or break them, good styles and coifs of luxurious hair will win, obvious rugs and bad plugs will loose, bald is better than plugs. Big bosoms trump intelligence, sexy wins over matronly, except for Hillary where botox, Olympic Overcoat and embalming fluid improves her chances. Nothing will change.

:rofl2:

Love it. Wag the Dog.

desertjosh
09-27-2013, 3:45 PM

Nailed it. :o

Mitch
09-28-2013, 10:06 AM
I hesitate to draw too many parallels between 1994 and 2014. As Bill Clinton himself admitted, the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban did play a role in the Repubs taking the house that November, but the election was only a couple months after the law was voted, if I recall correctly. By 2014, voters angry with officeholders over their recent gun control policies will probably have forgotten about it.

If, however, national politicians continue, foolishly, to bang the drum for gun control between now and November 2014, it could well mean more gun rights turnout and voting.

But then, even if the supposedly "pro gun" Republicans get control of Congress, I'm not sure what it buys us, aside from a slightly better defensive position. I don't recall sweeping gun rights reforms when they held both houses of Congress plus the White House early in the previous decade. In fact, what stands out most starkly from those days were sweeping abrogations of basic civil rights (USA PATRIOT Act, habeas corpus shenanigans, etc).

cr250chevy
09-28-2013, 11:15 AM
In regards to California, no difference. No one even knows about all these gun bills on the Governors desk. NO ONE, but Calguners ;)
The Democrates know these are unfavorable, and the media is playing along with them. If the people don't know then no harm done...
I am afraid the people will never know, they will go into a gun shop and will simply have ALOT less to choose from. They will just think the gun shop doesn't stock a lot of variety.
People will become felons when they don't register their semi auto rifles as "assault weapons." While other will think they are already registered bc of California confusing gun laws, and the fact that handguns are already refistered, others will think their wood stock HUNTING rifles are not included in these laws and never register .. Like a couple of people I already talked to...
I am afraid without media campaign drawing attention to these bills the Democratic Party will go untouched...

captbilly
09-28-2013, 1:18 PM

The historical data on democratic administrations vs the economy and jobs is pretty conclusive. The economy, and even the stock market, generally does better when Democrats have the majority and/or Presidency. Republicans tend to be friendly to the wealthy and corporations, when it comes to taxes, but this doesn't seem to translate to a generally good economy or jobs market. The Republicans also tend to increase the deficit more than Democrats (Reagan held the record before Bush Jr took that record, and now of course Obama has a high deficit due to the worst recession since the 1920s).

Gun legislation in recent years has unfortunately focused on various firearms features rather than responsible ownership, and that is a shame. Both parties tend to pander to uneducated masses rather than looking for intelligent solutions. Add to that the fact that the legislators themselves rarely know much about the technology that there legislation effects (whether it be military, internet, aviation, energy, or guns), and you have a recipe for poor legislation.

There was a time when legislators consulted experts, now they seem only to consult lobbyists, on one side or another of an issue, so all we get is a choice between one special interest or another. I could see some useful gun control legislation, dealing with ownership responsibility rather than worrying about this or that silly feature, but neither side is thinking that hard.