PDA

View Full Version : Remington 788 chambered in .308/7.62x51

LCpl Kutches
09-21-2013, 1:18 PM
I recently got a Remington 788 that is chambered in .308/ 7.62x51.

The barrel and stock I would like to change.

Will a bull barrel for a Remington 700 work to have mounted onto the rifle?

Any suggestions for a bull barrel? Can you easily purchase a Bull Barrel for the 788?

Thank you for your advise

6mmintl
09-21-2013, 7:44 PM
Your talking about the most accurate out of the box rifle Remington ever made, easily 1/2 MOA with handloads out of a factory sporter weight barrel!

Why you would want to put a bull barrel on it is beyond me.

But if you must contact Kendog4570 and he can graf a barrel on for you, he has rebarrelled a .223 to 6x45 Kreiger 8" twist SSTL barrel for me on the smaller action and it is a 1/4MOA gun.

kendog4570
09-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Will a bull barrel for a Remington 700 work to have mounted onto the rifle?

Not easily. The thread pattern and tennon profile are different. But it can be done. It just takes time and money.

Any suggestions for a bull barrel? Can you easily purchase a Bull Barrel for the 788?

If you are going to the expense of rebarreling, get a top quality blank and have it fitted. Re working a 700 take off barrel is a hit or miss proposition. It may shoot, and it may not. Pac Nor makes a "pre-fit", but you might have to wait a good long while to get one. Others may also. There really is no such thing as drop-in barrel, they all require fitting.

gunboat
09-22-2013, 12:55 AM
"It just takes time and money" -- How true it is!

There just ain't no five minute jobs - no how

Wrangler John
09-22-2013, 3:22 AM
My Oregon hunting friend just had two 788's completely rebuilt into varmint rifles by the master of 788 work: http://www.gretanrifles.com/ If I recall he had Kreiger barrels installed and custom McMillan stocks fitted among the work done.

My little .223 Remington 788 I bought new in the 1980's is as accurate as rifles I paid ten times as much over the years. There is a rub to this though, and that is do you want to spend a bunch of money to rebuild a rifle that is long out of production with some parts becoming scarce? Having a high quality barrel installed will run a minimum of $500 - $600. A new stock will run $200 for a drop-in sporter barrel contour wood laminate up to $600 for a McMillan with a barrel channel for a varmint contour, and expect to have it fitted. If you are like me and my friend, of course you do. First thing I did was rout out the forend and epoxy in an aluminum channel, then glass bed the action. The stock is nothing more than a thin veneer of birch from the action through the forend, supported by aluminum filled Devcon epoxy. I modified my factory trigger to make it adjustable, then installed a Timney trigger later. It shoots well enough with the factory barrel, so I have left that alone, so far. I would like to have a spare magazine for it, but these run around $75, when you can find one.

So there you go, is it worth it to you? If you just want a replacement barrel installed, your choice of contour, chambering and twist, check here for a decent price on top quality barrel: http://www.pac-nor.com/services/ or for a more economical job with a good quality barrel: http://www.ershawbarrels.com/e-r-shaw-custom-barrels.php Another alternative is http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/rebarreling.htm They have a drop-down list to select and price your barrel. All it takes is a phone call to discuss your needs, a credit card and a nearby UPS terminal. Man that's easy - too easy according to my bookkeeper.

P.S.: McGowan and Pac-Nor both offer Remington 700 barrels that install with a Savage type barrel nut, using a Savage barrel nut wrench. They also offer prefit Savage barrels that the advanced rifle looney can install at home during half-time, unless the cheerleaders are bouncing around making a spectacle of themselves.

Kokopelli
09-22-2013, 7:21 AM
With all you would invest, you should be able to buy an off the rack rifle configured the way you want. The 788 is fine in it's original configuration. They are getting harder to find and it would be a shame to modify it. But, it's your gun so you can do whatever you want.

In the 80's I sold a 788 in 308 and regretted it. Took me 25 years to find another. I have a bunch of handloads that shoot less than MOA including a 110 grain varmint load.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk239/avmusician/Guns/Shooting015crop.jpg

socalltd
09-22-2013, 8:03 AM
nice combat boots :detective:

russ69
09-22-2013, 11:22 AM
The 788 is a tad lighter than a 700 and was popular action for light bench guns and pistols if I remember correctly. Nothing wrong with it but the 700 is much more popular and maybe a better choice for a gun you are going to re-build.

Sutcliffe
09-23-2013, 8:21 AM
Take it to the range several times and then decide on changing it. It was a cut rate, K-mart gun that is butt ugly, but shot better than the flagship 700 series. I see one at the range or in deer camp every once in while and I ask if they'd care to part with them. Nope.
They are awesome guns. Wish remington could have returned to that design rather than the 710/770 series garbage.

Fjold
09-25-2013, 6:06 PM
IIRC, the small shank Savage barrel will thread into the 788 receiver and you could use the Savage barrel nut arrangement.

I have a left handed 788 in 308 Win that I bought in 1975.

kendog4570
09-26-2013, 7:51 AM
The original Savage thread is 1.055"-20 TPI, and the Rem 788 is 1"-20. The 700 is 1.0625"-16.
Also, the 788 has a thread shank over 1-1/2" long, with a relief cut in the threads for front action screw clearance. Thats twice as long as the factory 700 shank.