PDA

View Full Version : rebuild kits...legal???

sweet trav
09-21-2013, 9:05 AM
so I was under the impression that ordering rebuild kits was legal, by stores or private sellers, am I right or wrong?

Source: California Penal Code 12020(a)(2)...makes it a felony to import any high capacity magazine into the state of California. Even if you traveled to another state where a high capacity magazine is legal...then disassemble it and bring it into California...it is a Felony.

...what about AB48 - Bans the sale of parts and repair kits capable of creating or converting a magazine to a capacity to hold greater than ten rounds. This on the govenors desk to be signed into law.

how can it already be illegal and yet trying to pass a law to outlaw it?

CessnaDriver
09-21-2013, 9:15 AM
Possessing rebuild kits is legal. Ordering or buying rebuild kits is legal.
Using them to repair your legally possessed high capacity magazines is legal.
AB48 would ban the sale of "conversion kits", which we assume to mean rebuild kits.

Zane1844
09-21-2013, 9:23 AM
Wow I was under the impression that you can buy mags out of state disassemble them and take them home.

How can they prove that is what you did? Since it is legal to bring rebuild kits with you to a carbine class, then bring them back home?

I hate this state, glad I am leaving it Monday. Though, Jerry Brown still hears from me a lot. :D

sweet trav
09-21-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm glad to be leaving soon as well and just want to be legal while still residing in commifornia.

ke6guj
09-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Wow I was under the impression that you can buy mags out of state disassemble them and take them home. currently you can, provided that they are disassembled when they are imported into in CA. At that point, you can either leave them as a parts kit, use them to repair an existing large-cap mag, or rebuilt it into a 10-round mag.

Darryl Licht
09-21-2013, 3:22 PM
There are plenty of companies who will sell mags to Cali residents.
BUT... they must be disassembled into a rebuild kit to be shipped into the PRK.
CURRENTLY 100% legal!

Check with one of our sponsors:
http://laksupply.com/

He's a great supporter and has just about any mag you need.

The law is clear though... if you currently have say 5- 17 round mags, you can not buy kits and end up with more than 5 mags. That constitutes illegal manufacture. Although, how anyone would prove that either way is beyond me!

sweet trav
09-21-2013, 9:50 PM
Thanks for the info!

I am still concerned with the section of ca penal code 12020a2 though.

I hate living in this state!

Darryl Licht
09-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info!

I am still concerned with the section of ca penal code 12020a2 though.

I hate living in this state!

This:??
Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

Just don't buy a rebuild kit and use it to create a new magazine resulting in more mags than you started with. If you have a damaged mag and want a new one, you have to destroy the old (damaged) one. <-- To abide by the letter of the law!

If the kits were illegal to sell or ship to Cali, no business would be doing it! My LGS (local gun shop) has many mag kits in stock, in pieces in a bag.

tommyfly
09-21-2013, 10:10 PM
i dont know where you found that version of the penal code, with a quick google search i found this one:

"(2)Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine."

It says nothing about bringing disassembled magazines back into the state. A box of magazine parts is not a magazine

Darryl Licht
09-21-2013, 10:35 PM
i dont know where you found that version of the penal code, with a quick google search i found this one:

"(2)Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine."

It says nothing about bringing disassembled magazines back into the state. A box of magazine parts is not a magazine

My version is identical to yours... same law!

EDIT - Whoops you meant the OP's version!

sweet trav
09-21-2013, 10:48 PM
it was posted by a moderator on the glock forum when he deleted my post on purchasing rebuild kits.

Dvrjon
09-21-2013, 10:58 PM
so I was under the impression that ordering rebuild kits was legal, by stores or private sellers, am I right or wrong?

Source: California Penal Code 12020(a)(2)...makes it a felony to import any high capacity magazine into the state of California. Even if you traveled to another state where a high capacity magazine is legal...then disassemble it and bring it into California...it is a Felony.

...what about AB48 - Bans the sale of parts and repair kits capable of creating or converting a magazine to a capacity to hold greater than ten rounds. This on the govenors desk to be signed into law.

how can it already be illegal and yet trying to pass a law to outlaw it?

Code section changed two years ago. Now it's:

32310. Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section
32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section
17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2000, any
person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured,
imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for
sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine is
punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or
imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.
Kits are legal until you assemble them. That's the misdemeanor/felony wobbler.
JR