PDA

View Full Version : Why were the IMI Galil banned in the U.S.?

RGCelestine
09-20-2013, 4:20 PM
I am sorry if this topic has been asked already. I have search the topics on Galils that ended up to 10 pages and saw no similar inquiry.

Thinking that Galils are based on the Kalashnikov rifles; why are the Galils banned but the AK's are not? I just don't get the logic on that.

Side question: Mostly based on what I have read and heard, weapons ban her in California are based on aesthetics. Are there any "standard" qualifications from banning a weapon that does not pertain to aesthetics?

Sakiri
09-20-2013, 4:38 PM
Are there any "standard" qualifications from banning a weapon that does not pertain to aesthetics?

If by "standard" you mean "non NFA items", then none that I can see. Barrel shrouds, pistol grips, bayonet lugs, etc all functional things, but they ban them on the aesthetics rather than function. Because God forbid the gun be easier to handle and not burn you when you touch it, or actually fit the shooter properly.

I've not really seen a use for bayonet lugs outside attaching bayonets, but I also don't have much experience with those because I don't currently own any rifles.

Suppressors are NFA items. Full auto are NFA items.