PDA

View Full Version : Just jailed my first bolt action rifle (Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308)

connorr931
09-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Now a few questions. I picked up a Konus spotting scope, a harris bipod, and some ammo. Now I need a scope, base, and rings. My budget for the scope is about $500. Rings and base I would like to stay fairly on the cheaper side.

Im planning on primarily bench rest target shooting at 100-500 yards. Im focusing more on printing small groups than just getting hits. I would like to experiment out past that in the future.

I know absolutely nothing about scopes or rings but from what I have been reading this is what Im thinking:

- 20 MOA Base http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.midwayusa.com%2Fproduct%2F630 711%2Fegw-1-piece-picatinny-style-base-remington-700-short-action-matte&ei=9Ng7UtTAHIarqgGr44F4&usg=AFQjCNGJpySpzFE1VCWn-UWpaNs2TwLgdg&sig2=jqXuvoUfvuuYUM-B_ISi1Q&bvm=bv.52434380,d.aWM

- Burris 30mm rings http://www.midwayusa.com/product/276452?cm_mmc=S_Spop-Email-_-Service_Emails-_-ShippingConfirmation-_-ProductLink (I have no idea if this is the right size. Depends on the scope?)

- Scope ?

Stockton
09-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Suggestion within your price range:
TPS Steel Base 20moa
TPS Rings Med
Bushnell Elite Scope

jetman624
09-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Look at the SWFA fixed power scopes-- good price, nice glass.

Raralith
09-19-2013, 10:29 PM
For $500, do you plan to upgrade later to a better scope? If so, splurge on the base and rings, and get the best. If not, get something a bit cheaper, and spend the rest on the best scope you can afford. I'd probably suggest a Redfield (aka cheap Leupold) or Nikkon at the $300ish range.

ahcshon
09-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Tagged

ExtremeX
09-19-2013, 11:42 PM
$500 is one tight optics budget...

I agree with the best base rings combo... Seekins or TPS to save a few bucks.

Also agree with the fixed power SWFA scopes for $300

Exodus343
09-20-2013, 12:14 AM
SWFA is clear optics
I got a 10x42 myself
And i love it
Although the turrets bother me because it won't line up 100% to zero on the tic marks (OCD :( )

ExtremeX
09-20-2013, 1:24 AM
I'd probably suggest a Redfield (aka cheap Leupold) or Nikkon at the $300ish range.

Unless you are seeing something I am not… I would pass on almost all of those options in that price range… none of them make a decent target scope in that price bracket.

OP, regardless of what you pick, try to stay away from BDC scopes or scopes that have funky nonstandard turret setups. Find a target scope with a good reputation in the tracking and glass department that sport a matched reticle/turret setup in MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA.

That way things you learn can easily be transferred into a higher end optic should you go down that path at a later date vs learning or dealing with some BDC system which IMO is more complicated to use on a target rifle.

NorCalFocus
09-20-2013, 7:35 AM
I got a Vortex Crossfire that has a MOA BDC. Meaning the BDC is in MOA unlike the Nikons. That way you can use it for ranging. The scope was surprisingly well priced. I got the scope, EGW 20 MOA base, Burris rings and flip covers all for under $400.

Timbob55
09-20-2013, 8:11 AM
Leuopld bases and rings.

Bushnell, Nikon scope. My Nikon 3-9x44 is very bright and cost around $200 at Walmart.

connorr931
09-20-2013, 8:29 AM

I agree with the best base rings combo... Seekins or TPS to save a few bucks.

Also agree with the fixed power SWFA scopes for $300

I updated the original post. $500 for the scope and Im going to try to keep the base and rings on the cheaper side.

NorCalFocus
09-20-2013, 8:31 AM
3-9 isn't very strong for target shooting at 500 yards.

John Walker
09-20-2013, 11:29 AM
I started by buying a scope first, then built the rifle around it.

ExtremeX
09-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I started by buying a scope first, then built the rifle around it.

You are a wise manÖ the scope should never be an afterthought.

ExtremeX
09-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I got a Vortex Crossfire that has a MOA BDC. Meaning the BDC is in MOA unlike the Nikons. That way you can use it for ranging. The scope was surprisingly well priced. I got the scope, EGW 20 MOA base, Burris rings and flip covers all for under $400.

Iím a big Vortex fan but I still think the Crossfire isnít really an ideal scope for target useÖ assuming thatís really what the OP wants to do with it.

Yes the BDC is in MOA, but their dead hold reticle from center down is 1.5 MOA, 4.5 MOA, 7.5 MOA, and 11 MOAÖ I donít know about you but I find that substantially harder to work with than a standard target reticle broken out into 1 or 2 MOA spacingís across the markings in the scope.

If you are trying to print a group at 300 yards and the dope needed is anywhere between those marks, itís much harder to consistently hold over that amount shot after shot vs dialing in the exact amount of correction. The capped turrets on the Crossfire also leave a lot to be desired should you actually decide to start dialing in correction.

NorCalFocus
09-20-2013, 2:20 PM
Iím a big Vortex fan but I still think the Crossfire isnít really an ideal scope for target useÖ assuming thatís really what the OP wants to do with it.

Yes the BDC is in MOA, but their dead hold reticle from center down is 1.5 MOA, 4.5 MOA, 7.5 MOA, and 11 MOAÖ I donít know about you but I find that substantially harder to work with than a standard target reticle broken out into 1 or 2 MOA spacingís across the markings in the scope.

If you are trying to print a group at 300 yards and the dope needed is anywhere between those marks, itís much harder to consistently hold over that amount shot after shot vs dialing in the exact amount of correction. The capped turrets on the Crossfire also leave a lot to be desired should you actually decide to start dialing in correction.

I agree with you. But considering his budget and what mine was at the time, you can't beat it. If I had more money, I would have gone with the PST line over the Crossfire II.

As far as the vertical MOA marks, it doesn't bother me that they're not even MOA's. I learned to use the horizontal marks instead. Also for hunting the marks are damn close to 200,300,400,500.

CobraRed
09-20-2013, 2:30 PM
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 + EGW rail + burris xtreme rings.

That's in the ballpark, I was shooting 1000+ with that scope.

roushstage2
09-20-2013, 8:39 PM
I put a Vortex Viper HS-T on my new 700 SPS Tac, along with low Burris XTR rings and a 20MOA Weaver base.

webcruzzer
09-21-2013, 6:21 AM
Don't forgot to bed your 20 MOA base.

Michael_Js
09-21-2013, 8:30 AM
Don't forgot to bed your 20 MOA base.

Since i'm doing the same - with most of the same components chosen for a Winchester Model 70 in .308, what does this ^ mean?

Thank you

asus611
09-21-2013, 8:47 AM
I have the same rifle. I just ordered a Vortex 6.5 x 20 x 50 Mil Dot for $413 from JoeBobs (coupon code VORTEX10). Seems to get great reviews, and Vortex hasn't let me down yet.

the_t0ny
09-21-2013, 8:58 AM
Another vote for the SWFA SS fixed power scope paired with TPS rings and base.

Stockton
09-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Bedding the base is ensuring there is no uneven gaps between receiver and base that may cause the base to flex. Place your base on receiver, hand snug the forward screws only, look at the rear of base and check for space. If there is space between rear of base and receiver...that is what he is referring to have bedded.

Stockton
09-21-2013, 10:14 AM
And YouTube has a few "how to" vids using JB Weld if you decide to do it.

1859sharps
09-21-2013, 5:47 PM

only if you buy into the myth about having to take a second mortgage in order to have a quality scope.

The OP indicates shooting range to typically be 100 to 150 yards.

Leupold has some really nice scopes that would cover out to double that range within the stated budget.

Yes, you can spend "not enough" and end up with a "crappy" scope. But you don't have to take out a second mortgage to have a quality scope. Particularly if your shooting is 300 yards or less.

I am not sure the old rules of thumb regarding scopes apply anymore...at least not entirely. scopes are becoming more specialized to specific tasks. hunting, competition, "tactical" (ie self defense, police or military). buy the scope that fits your primary need. this is based on features, not solely price.

3-9 isn't very strong for target shooting at 500 yards.

Not entirely true. target shooting is a very broad description. it all depends on what kind of target shooting you are doing. putting a soup can out at 500 yards...ya, you may have a point. put a IPSC type target out at 500...you will do just fine.

it is very possible to shoot iron sights accurately out to 500 yards. a good quality 3 to 9 scope will have absolutely no issue doing so as well.

NorCalFocus
09-21-2013, 5:55 PM
Not entirely true. target shooting is a very broad description. it all depends on what kind of target shooting you are doing. putting a soup can out at 500 yards...ya, you may have a point. put a IPSC type target out at 500...you will do just fine.

it is very possible to shoot iron sights accurately out to 500 yards. a good quality 3 to 9 scope will have absolutely no issue doing so as well.

Very true, the idea of target shooting may varry from one to another. I meant more of shooting groups on paper. If you want to ding a 18" plate at 500, a 9 power would work, but I like to get the most scope I can.

baih777
09-21-2013, 6:12 PM
- Burris 30mm rings http://www.midwayusa.com/product/276452?cm_mmc=S_Spop-Email-_-Service_Emails-_-ShippingConfirmation-_-ProductLink (I have no idea if this is the right size. Depends on the scope?)

make sure when you order the rings you get set. your link is for a single ring.
i have those rings on three of my rifles. great rings.
i would get a 0 moa base first.
i use bases from EGW. they fit great. always test fit your rail first. check the length of your screws. if one of them is short, it usually goes in the front hole.
http://www.egwguns.com/

Siberian23
09-21-2013, 8:01 PM
I would pick a fixed 10x scope. Either the swfa ss or the bushnell elite 3200. Swfa had a package special right now that is 399 with rings and caps and then some useless junk too.

wjc
09-21-2013, 8:04 PM
What are you going to use the rifle for?

You could pick up a Leupold 3-9x40mm for around $400 that would be adequate for hunting.

ExtremeX
09-22-2013, 12:18 AM
only if you buy into the myth about having to take a second mortgage in order to have a quality scope.

It’s not like I recommended the OP go out and spend $2500+ US Optics or S&B. I simply stated that $500 is a tight budget, which it is.

When looking for a decent target scope in that price range, your options are limited. $200-300 bucks more and you can start to find some real healthy options. You don’t even have to break the 1k mark to find an excellent optic.

My recommendation was a $300 fixed power SWFA… at least that buys him good glass, excellent tracking, nice mil/mil matched reticle, exposed turrets and a good platform to learn the craft.

What is your recommendation under $500

Wrangler John
09-22-2013, 4:08 AM
The best scope for under $500 is here, http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=BUSH-SCOPE-E Check Items# E6240 & E6241. I have four Bushnell Elite 4200's which this scope superseded, and they kill little things at long range, with nary a hiccup. This is the best price around. You'll need a little more dough for the base and rings. I suggest Ken Farrel bases and either his rings or what I use, Burris Signature Zee Rings. Buy direct from Ken Farrel or MidwayUSA or your favorite dealer.

tacticalcity
09-22-2013, 4:13 AM
Look at the SWFA fixed power scopes-- good price, nice glass.

I was thinking the same. Just check out the reviews. Not bad for a $299 scope. The next scope that I would consider running on my own rifles starts well above the $1000 mark. If I were going to spend less on a scope for a build, and I do and I will sometime soon, then the SWFA SS 10x42 would be the scope for me. As far as rings go I am a bit of a snob. On an AR15 platform I'm OK running non-steel. You want to keep the weight down on an AR15 as it is something of a hybrid even when making one as precision as you can. On an AR10 platform or on a heavy barrel bolt action rifle I would definitely want steel. On a hunting rifle, probably non-steel again to keep the weight down. Burris is OK for non-steel. Warne is good for low cost steel. Badger is king when it comes to both.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx

1859sharps
09-22-2013, 8:13 AM
Very true, the idea of target shooting may varry from one to another. I meant more of shooting groups on paper. If you want to ding a 18" plate at 500, a 9 power would work, but I like to get the most scope I can.

I would agree. depending on expectations, goals, etc....creating nice "tight" groups on paper at 500 would be a challenge. at the very least, you are going to do as well as the high power shooters do with irons. which isn't anything to sneeze at.

What is your recommendation under $500

well as you know from reading my post above, I recommended checking out the Leupold line. without more specifics from the OP, it would do no good to get overly specific.

But given the op said most shooting was going to be under 150 yards, that opens up a WHOLE lot of options for under $500.

fonzy
09-22-2013, 3:25 PM
Op I'm gonna go ahead and recommend any scope that cost $10,000 up. You wont even have to fire a single round. The target will go down just by you looking at them.

This is what I went with. Not saying it's for you, just saying I was on a tight budget and this worked out great for me.

http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x42-Battlezone-Rifle-Scope-P59509.aspx
bedding
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aoW5bHQqgis" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoW5bHQqgis