PDA

View Full Version : ATF can come to my home and take away my firearm!

boar308
09-19-2013, 5:51 PM
I got a call from a local gun shop, (The Gun Locker in Hesperia) that i did a PPT from several month ago. The guy on the other side of the phone stated the ATF was in his shop, and needed a form of my identification with my valid address on it. He then stated that if he did not receive it within 24hrs, the ATF would come to my home and take possession of the firearm!! I showed two forms of valid ID upon the transfer, and cant believe what i was hearing. If he had mistakes in his paperwork, will i suffer for it? Also, i plan on bringing him a valid form of identification tomorrow morning to resolve, what it sounded like was my problem.

DEPUTYBILL
09-19-2013, 6:01 PM
If this was the gun shop owner, I would have asked to talk to the ATF agent.
You might want to call ATF regarding what is needed. It sounds like the gun shop owner was being inspected and the paperwork was not complete, or lacking something. That would be on the dealer, but you still might want to follow-up with ATF.

Granite
09-19-2013, 7:14 PM
Why are they asking for your ID when they already know where you live?

18Dmedic
09-19-2013, 7:18 PM
I call bs. Sounds like the sheet head was trying cya on your dime and time! If you prove it was his shops fault, ask for reimbursement for gas. Shiit is expensive no?

P5Ret
09-19-2013, 7:20 PM
Sounds like he screwed up somewhere, and used the ATF is coming to get you threat to cover his error, or lost paperwork. I would call the local ATF office and find out what is going on. Something don't sound right here.

boar308
09-19-2013, 7:38 PM
Im for sure going to call ATF in the morning. If in fact he was using the ATF to cover his @$$, im sure one of the agents i speak with tomorrow is gonna have a problem with that.

HOGLEG
09-19-2013, 7:51 PM
I would take that 10 minute drive and give the shop owner whatever ID he needed. Beats having ATF show up at your door. Figure you'll be covering both of your buuuttts.

Go talk to the shop owner first. Involving the ATF might just be flagging yourself and the shop for an investigation.

It's possible that an agent noticed a deficiency and gave him 24 hours to correct it.

CG of MP
09-21-2013, 4:14 PM
So what happened?

Uriah02
09-21-2013, 4:17 PM
Ummm, ATF requiring two forms of ID? I believe that is a CA DOJ requirement, not Federal...

riceman
09-21-2013, 5:04 PM
With all the paper work involved with the selling of a gun these days and the amount being purchased, it could have been an honest mistake by gun shop owner, if so wrong way to go about it.
I have dealt with a shop up here for 15 years and about a month ago I stopped in ( I stop in at least 1x every 2 weeks, they have become friends and on the way to farm) and employee asked me to sign a form that I had missed signing when I made a purchase. So it does happen. So every week or so they are having an employee go through the binders with forms and double checking all signatures.

THT
09-21-2013, 5:08 PM
ATF only goes to a transferee's residence if the transferee turns out to be a prohibited person. I suspect the owner did a self-audit and discovered some paperwork was not filled out completely and is using the threat of the ATF as a cover to get you into the store to fix his problem.

Fate
09-21-2013, 9:00 PM
ATF only goes to a transferee's residence if the transferee turns out to be a prohibited person. I suspect the owner did a self-audit and discovered some paperwork was not filled out completely and is using the threat of the ATF as a cover to get you into the store to fix his problem.

^^ That's my take on it as well. Somebody's bluffing aces.

arsilva32
09-21-2013, 10:46 PM
if he said they would come to your door and remove firearm,then they must already have your address.how else could they show up at your door? lol obviously it was him that did not record it properly.

bohoki
09-21-2013, 10:54 PM
tell him of the tragic boating accident

Hispanic_Hercules
09-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Sounds like crap to me. My FFL called me the other day with a similar situation. But instead of using the "ATF" to cover his tracks, he was honest and informed me during a self audit he forgot to have me sign some paperwork when I picked up my weapon. I happily obliged and drove down to sign the document needed. Sounds like you need to find yourself a new FFL

fizux
09-22-2013, 7:10 AM
As George Clooney says near the beginning of Michael Clayton, "the police don't call first." Sounds like the store is blowing smoke.

G17GUY
09-22-2013, 3:16 PM
"A box of .45 would get the paperwork to you ASAP sir."

blazeaglory
09-22-2013, 5:31 PM
Sounds like crap to me. My FFL called me the other day with a similar situation. But instead of using the "ATF" to cover his tracks, he was honest and informed me during a self audit he forgot to have me sign some paperwork when I picked up my weapon. I happily obliged and drove down to sign the document needed. Sounds like you need to find yourself a new FFL

That would be more like it. I would of told the FFL straight up, "Did you lose some paper work or something? Because if you did, thats OK. Ill come down ASAP to help you out. But dont try to scare me with the ATF because I dont roll that way and you wont like me when Im angry!"

jackburton
09-23-2013, 9:09 PM
Hide your drugs, fireworks, and tell the chimp to keep quiet

stix213
09-24-2013, 3:16 AM
I got a call from a local gun shop, (In Hesperia) that i did a PPT from several month ago. The guy on the other side of the phone stated the ATF was in his shop, and needed a form of my identification with my valid address on it. He then stated that if he did not receive it within 24hrs, the ATF would come to my home and take possession of the firearm!! I showed two forms of valid ID upon the transfer, and cant believe what i was hearing. If he had mistakes in his paperwork, will i suffer for it? Also, i plan on bringing him a valid form of identification tomorrow morning to resolve, what it sounded like was my problem.

LOL, but if you are at that address then what would the ATF be taking your gun for?

bwiese
09-24-2013, 12:33 PM
You received BS translation from a gunshop owner.

Many FFLs are not known for their IQs. Or...

What he was probably TRYING TO DO was to SCARE YOU into coming in to CORRECT HIS BOOKS for *HIS* (or his staffer's) bookkeeping or procedural error that slipped thru.

What rude idiot FFL was this?

bwiese
09-24-2013, 12:33 PM
That would be more like it. I would of told the FFL straight up, "Did you lose some paper work or something? Because if you did, thats OK. Ill come down ASAP to help you out. But dont try to scare me with the ATF because I dont roll that way and you wont like me when Im angry!"

Bingo.

boar308
09-24-2013, 1:49 PM
The owner of the shop was lying to get his books straight! I called the shop several times leaving my contact # so I could give him a chance to redeem himself/business. Still no call back from the owner. If I don't receive a call by tonight, all post the name of the shop on here so fellow calguners will be aware of how the owner conducts business.

12voltguy
09-24-2013, 2:09 PM
The owner of the shop was lying to get his books straight! I called the shop several times leaving my contact # so I could give him a chance to redeem himself/business. Still no call back from the owner. If I don't receive a call by tonight, all post the name of the shop on here so fellow calguners will be aware of how the owner conducts business.

so if he does call you
we don't get warned,thx...

CWM4A1
09-24-2013, 3:05 PM
If shop owner is asking for form of ID with your valid address, I bet it's because your CA DL or ID does not have a current address on it.

ATF has change their practice where the brown change of address card is no longer accepted as proof of address. Which means if your ID does not have your current address, you will need to provide other acceptable document to prove your residency such as valid vehicle registration, other govt. issued permit with your name and address and expiration date, etc. Note that CA DOJ has different requirement for proof of residency so your utility bill, while satisfying CA DOJ is not valid for ATF.

So much PITA as they keep changing what is acceptable for proof of residency, and I have to keep explaining to pissed-off customer what used to be okay is no longer okay when they come to pick up the gun...

Beelzy
10-05-2013, 6:15 AM
All I can add is you had better square that away soon OP, for I have seen with my own eyes DOJ show up at someone's house to take away a firearm.

a1c
10-05-2013, 3:21 PM
All I can add is you had better square that away soon OP, for I have seen with my own eyes DOJ show up at someone's house to take away a firearm.

DOJ and ATF are two completely separate entities.

bruceflinch
10-05-2013, 3:44 PM
Cool Story Bro....
OP was online 2 days ago, but can't update his thread. :facepalm:

Jester3
10-05-2013, 4:02 PM

Exactly! With all of the transfers they do, sometimes a line might get missed. The LGS I use has 2 other employees check the forms before I walk away.
Somebody there missed one. Take in your I.D. And mention to the owner that they could just be honest with you that they found a mistake that needs correcting.

frankm
10-05-2013, 4:26 PM
Here's my policy, if he's a jerk, I'll do it, but you gotta give me ammo. If he's nice, I'll help him out.

boar308
10-06-2013, 7:37 PM
Cool Story Bro....
OP was online 2 days ago, but can't update his thread. :facepalm:

NO STORY GUY! I faxed a copy of my registration to "THE GUN LOCKER" and never heard back from the owner, after several attempts to reach him. That place will never see a dime from me again. You have been warned! I only talk story when i am in kauai.

stonefly-2
10-06-2013, 8:52 PM
iv'e read that ccw without a permit is legal in your "place of business". what if your place of business is a vehicle? i carry cash & every tweaker in town knows which craft carries the really pricey tools.

bplvr
11-13-2013, 10:49 AM
I discovered that my 03 FFL with my current address on it can't be used to establish residency.
There are 7 documents that are excepted. Now I use my D/L and truck registration.

ke6guj
11-13-2013, 7:18 PM
I discovered that my 03 FFL with my current address on it can't be used to establish residency.
There are 7 documents that are excepted. Now I use my D/L and truck registration.

per who?

I'ved used my 03FFL to provide PoR for multiple handgun purchases at Turner's.

11 CCR § 4045

Cal. Admin. Code tit. 11, § 4045

Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 11. Law
Division 5. Firearms Regulations
Full text of all sections at this level Chapter 4. Evidence of Residency Documentation
Current selection§ 4045. Definitions and Requirements.

The following definitions and requirements apply to documents intended to serve as evidence of residency for the acquisition of a handgun pursuant to Penal Code section 26845:

d. “Other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice” means either of the following:

1. A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:

A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the DROS form.

B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

dave1947
11-13-2013, 7:28 PM
I used my drivers license and a copy of my ham radio license yesterday:)