PDA

View Full Version : Knife laws?

beastmode986
09-19-2013, 6:20 PM
Are the knife laws here as bad as the gun laws?
Does anyone have any knowledge on the knife laws? I am looking to purchase a Kershaw oso sweet or Kershaw chillI am gong to be living in the Santa Clarita area and my dad is going to be working near Burbank, Pasadena and the surrounding areas. I googled it but found about assisted opening knives or blade length restrictions.

thospb
09-19-2013, 6:46 PM
Blade length is what counts. I carry a knife everywhere. Autos are legal under 2". All folders the limit is usually 3 1/8". Longer than that must be in a sheath, on your belt, not covered by a shirt or jacket. Some municipalities may have more stringent regs. One big difference in CA, an illegal knife is a felony! A concealed firearm w/o permit is a misdemeanor. A bit of racist legislation that goes back to the days of cowboys and vaqueros.

OneFunGuy
09-19-2013, 7:01 PM
I don't know where you are from, but you have now fallen down the rabbit hole.
A place called California, where up is down and down is up.

I would loose the idea of carrying a knife. If you feel threatened, then don't
go to those places. Learn to box or martial arts. Nearly everything you can
think of is illegal in this state.

When I was young, I saw a lot of guys beaten for being in the wrong
bar and flashing a knife.

But we do have some awesome women here, and sand and snow, blah, blah, blah.

Welcome to California.

Librarian
09-19-2013, 7:30 PM
See the blade forum sticky, or the link to the same content below in my signature.

Length ordinarily matters only on school grounds, but local laws may be different.

Paladin
09-19-2013, 8:23 PM
EVERYONE who reads this thread should know about www.kniferights.org

Think of them as the NRA of knife rights.... :thumbsup:

sigstroker
09-20-2013, 1:42 AM
More laws that are ridiculous. You can't even have this little knife that's popular for Altoid tin survival kits:

http://www.crkt.com/crkt/content/images_inv/c/e/64/2380inhand_large4.jpg
http://www.crkt.com/crkt/content/images_inv/c/e/64/2380intin_large3.jpg

boromokot
09-20-2013, 1:52 AM
EVERYONE who reads this thread should know about www.kniferights.org

Think of them as the NRA of knife rights.... :thumbsup:

+1
helpful site, just make sure to double check your local laws. I commonly walk around with a large fixed blade hanging from my hip with no issue and i live in SF. had a cop or two glance at it but never more than that

golfish
09-20-2013, 3:05 PM
Don't you guys ever watch SOA ..ROTFLMAO

I carry a knife all the time for work, riding, fishing and shooting.I always carry a fixed blade.

jeffsenpai
09-20-2013, 8:41 PM
For state law,

Folding knife of ANY length can be carried open or concealed.

Fixed blade knives of ANY length can be carried openly (ie on the belt) only.

Autos under 2'' are legal.

Check your local laws, they are what matter the most.

beastmode986
09-22-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't know where you are from, but you have now fallen down the rabbit hole.
A place called California, where up is down and down is up.

I would loose the idea of carrying a knife. If you feel threatened, then don't
go to those places. Learn to box or martial arts. Nearly everything you can
think of is illegal in this state.

When I was young, I saw a lot of guys beaten for being in the wrong
bar and flashing a knife.

But we do have some awesome women here, and sand and snow, blah, blah, blah.

Welcome to California.

I wouldn't be carrying it for self defense, just for utility purposes

beastmode986
09-22-2013, 11:23 AM
For state law,

Folding knife of ANY length can be carried open or concealed.

Fixed blade knives of ANY length can be carried openly (ie on the belt) only.

Autos under 2'' are legal.

Check your local laws, they are what matter the most.

Is a spring assist knife(Like whats on the kershaws I listed) the same as an auto?

EDIT: Just looked up the knife laws in Santa Clarita, did I read this right?

''Chapter 11.62 Carrying Knives in Plain View By Minors
Section, 11.62.010 Knives & Daggers Defined
As used in this chapter, the terms "knives & daggers" shall include any knife having a blade of 3 inches or more in length; any spring blade, switchblade or snap blade knife; any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

Section 11.62.020 Carrying Knives & Daggers in Plain View Prohibited
It is unlawful for any minor to carry on his or person, in plain view, any knife or dagger.

Section 11.62.030 Exemptions to Chapter Applicability
The foregoing restrictions shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment for use in a lawful occupation or for the purpose of lawful recreation, or where the carrying of a knife or dagger is a recognized religious practice.''

So this means I cannot carry a knife with a blade longer than 3 inches because I am a minor? This also means I cannot carry a ''Spring assist'' knife?
Its weird though, I only found this in a YouTube video description talking about knife laws in Santa Clarita, nowhere else.

chad allred
09-22-2013, 11:27 AM
I had an officer in LA tell me a knife with a 3" blade was legal.

I also had a relative arrested/cited for carrying a Kershaw "chive" as a switchblade. it has a 2.5" blade and is assisted...not a switchblade.
The case was thrown out but the attorney cost real money.
I have since sold off all my assisted knives.

NapalmCheese
09-22-2013, 11:32 AM
heh, saw a guy walking around the local range carrying a Ka-Bar on his belt. Legal, but not something I would consider useful. I guess if someone was going to choose who to rob it wouldn't be the guy carrying 7 inches of 1095 steel; unless the robber had a gun...

In general I've never had a problem with the cops and any knife I happened to have on me, but I only carry knives I think will be useful in day to day life, the biggest is actually the most mundane, an Opinel #8.

If it's self defense you're worried about, I'd rather have a big stick than a little pocket knife.

Librarian
09-22-2013, 4:59 PM
Is a spring assist knife(Like whats on the kershaws I listed) the same as an auto?

EDIT: Just looked up the knife laws in Santa Clarita, did I read this right?

''Chapter 11.62 Carrying Knives in Plain View By Minors
Section, 11.62.010 Knives & Daggers Defined
As used in this chapter, the terms "knives & daggers" shall include
any knife having a blade of 3 inches or more in length;
any spring blade, switchblade or snap blade knife;
any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device;
any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool;
any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

Section 11.62.020 Carrying Knives & Daggers in Plain View Prohibited
It is unlawful for any minor to carry on his or person, in plain view, any knife or dagger.

Section 11.62.030 Exemptions to Chapter Applicability
The foregoing restrictions shall not be deemed to prohibit the
carrying of ordinary tools or equipment for use in a lawful occupation or
for the purpose of lawful recreation, or
where the carrying of a knife or dagger is a recognized religious practice.''

1) So this means I cannot carry a knife with a blade longer than 3 inches because I am a minor?

2) This also means I cannot carry a ''Spring assist'' knife?

Its weird though, I only found this in a YouTube video description talking about knife laws in Santa Clarita, nowhere else.

Have to learn how to find municipal codes. In this case, here (http://www.codepublishing.com/CA/SantaClarita/html/SantaClarita11/SantaClarita1162.html#11.62).

1) Yes, that's exactly what that means, for 'in plain view'; does not mention a folder in your pocket, and it is not clear whether a clip on the outside of your pocket is 'in plain view'.

2) They do not define 'spring blade'; hard to be sure.

JDay
09-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Blade length is what counts. I carry a knife everywhere. Autos are legal under 2". All folders the limit is usually 3 1/8". Longer than that must be in a sheath, on your belt, not covered by a shirt or jacket. Some municipalities may have more stringent regs. One big difference in CA, an illegal knife is a felony! A concealed firearm w/o permit is a misdemeanor. A bit of racist legislation that goes back to the days of cowboys and vaqueros.

There is no max blade length in CA. Some localities (mainly LA) have a max length but state law doesn't. I'm also 99% positive that all auto knives are classified as switchblade, I.e. A felony.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

mej16489
09-23-2013, 5:26 PM
I'm also 99% positive that all auto knives are classified as switchblade, I.e. A felony.

Autos under 2" are perfectly legal in CA. 2" and larger are a misdemeanor.

PC21510
Every person who does any of the following with a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor:

(a) Possesses the knife in the passenger’s or driver’s area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public.

(b) Carries the knife upon the person.

(c) Sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives the knife to any other person.

chad allred
09-23-2013, 6:16 PM
I'm pretty sure its a felony...not a misdemeanor. you might wanna look again
I could be wrong...

Librarian
09-23-2013, 6:26 PM
I could be wrong...

Regarding switchblades?

mej16489 just quote the Penal Code section; do you have a more authoritative source?

chad allred
09-23-2013, 6:30 PM
I thought I did but can't find it now...
Just have 653k in my wallet.thought it had blade length but it doesn't...just discuses switch blade VS assisted opening.sorry....

mej16489
09-23-2013, 8:22 PM
I could be wrong...

Bolded below for emphasis.

Autos under 2" are perfectly legal in CA. 2" and larger are a misdemeanor.

PC21510
Every person who does any of the following with a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor:

(a) Possesses the knife in the passengerís or driverís area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public.

(b) Carries the knife upon the person.

(c) Sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives the knife to any other person.

beastmode986
09-24-2013, 8:06 PM
Ok, thanks guys!