PDA

View Full Version : SKS legality question

Linny
09-19-2013, 4:42 PM
Hello my poor oppressed neighbors, I am a Californian refugee living in Nevada, and I had some new legal questions since it's been about year since I've resided there.
For xmas my wife and I want to buy my brother in law (her brother by blood) a surplus SKS because they are cheap up here. Now here's my question.
1. An SKS in stock form is not considered an assault weapon even with the new passage of these bills right? It has a fixed stock, and a fixed magazine that holds no more than 10 rounds.
2. Is it still legal for siblings to transfer firearms to one another without the use of an FFL with all the 10 day waiting period nonsense. He is not a prohibited purchaser, and it would kinda be lame on Xmas to say, "here I got you an sks but you gotta come down to this FFL to come get it". :confused: Thanks gents, and hoping and praying that Governor Brown vetoes at least a majority of these bills.

Tincon
09-19-2013, 5:00 PM
Unless you are residents of the same state (however briefly) you will need an FFL to complete the transfer (there are other issues as well).

As to which guns are AWs, there are handy flow charts at the top of every forum page. You will also want to be aware of the "grenade launcher" issue with certain SKS rifles.

Linny
09-19-2013, 5:10 PM
Thank you very much for the info, well Poop Kalifornia.

Sluggz
09-19-2013, 5:55 PM
Many SKS rifles can also hold 11 rounds in the magazine, another issue to check for.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-19-2013, 6:07 PM
Transfers between two siblings who are residents of two different States have required the use of an FFL since 1968. This is federal law. It would apply just the same if the two siblings lived in Arizona and Nevada as it does when they live in California and Nevada.

Transfers between two siblings who are both California residents have required the use of a California licensed dealer since 1991.