PDA

View Full Version : What P.O.T.U.S. Neglected to Mention Before Banning Re-Imports of M1 Garand Rifles

Darryl Licht
09-18-2013, 9:08 PM
I searched here and was surprised this wasn't already posted...

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/09/130016/#axzz2fJ8NLFVa

Time to get that CMP M1 before it is too late!

Rickrock1
09-18-2013, 9:18 PM
Very sad

hermosabeach
09-18-2013, 9:26 PM
It is a dupe- but worthy of a re post

Darryl Licht
09-18-2013, 9:33 PM
I agree it is very sad; I particularly found this excerpt the most impactful statement of the article:

...we are told that reintroducing these service rifles into the market would lead to an increase in crime and gun violence. Gun control advocates neglect to mention examples of when this storied rifle contributed to a crime.

If they did the research however, they would learn that the most deadly domestic shooting involving an M1 Garand was committed not by a deranged citizen, but by elements of our own National Guard. Let that sink in a bitů

18Dmedic
09-19-2013, 9:34 AM
Very sad. Glad I got an import M1 before Obama's bull C rap ban.

I FEEL SOO MUCH SAFER KNOWING GANG BANGERS WON'T BE RUNNING AROUND WITH 9 POUND M1 GARANDS...INSTEAD OF THEIR UZI or TEC 9s.

Springfield45
09-19-2013, 12:36 PM
South Korea could still give them back to the US Army. The Army then could donate them to CMP and collectors could have them. Obama just wanted to look like he did something for his idiots.

RMP91
09-19-2013, 2:08 PM
South Korea could still give them back to the US Army. The Army then could donate them to CMP and collectors could have them. Obama just wanted to look like he did something for his idiots.

I truly hope you're right...

Doesn't this also apply to any parts, magazines, accessories etc. made outside of the US too?

dirty_530
09-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Very sad. Glad I got an import M1 before Obama's bull C rap ban.

I FEEL SOO MUCH SAFER KNOWING GANG BANGERS WON'T BE RUNNING AROUND WITH 9 POUND M1 GARANDS...INSTEAD OF THEIR UZI or TEC 9s.

This ^ and it's soo cumbersome to hold an Garand side ways one handed when doing a drive by

2nd Mass
09-30-2013, 3:55 PM

Good point. If it's true I wonder how that effort could be started?

GM4spd
10-05-2013, 6:10 AM
I was trying to remember ever hearing of a crime done with an M1
anything? I'm sure there must have been but no excuse for not allowing
importation. Pete

Bainter1212
10-05-2013, 7:11 AM

South Korea doesn't want to GIVE the rifles back...despite the requirement to do so under lend-lease.
The Korean govt sees even beat up Garands going for $1000-$1200 here in the states and wants to cash in on that market.
They are free to give the rifles back to the army at any time......nothing is holding them back (well, greed maybe...).

morfeeis
10-05-2013, 8:29 PM
I was trying to remember ever hearing of a crime done with an M1
anything? I'm sure there must have been but no excuse for not allowing
importation. Pete
I could be wrong but i think it was used to kill a leo in a roadside shootout with a nut case. i don't want to look the video up as the sounds still haunt me. It was on liveleak.

huntercf
10-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Unfortunately you can't argue with stupid.

Orlando
10-06-2013, 2:14 PM
South Korea doesn't want to GIVE the rifles back...despite the requirement to do so under lend-lease.
The Korean govt sees even beat up Garands going for $1000-$1200 here in the states and wants to cash in on that market.
They are free to give the rifles back to the army at any time......nothing is holding them back (well, greed maybe...).

If they were loaned they would have no choice to return to the US Army
These rifles are property of Korea and they can sell to the higest bidder.

broofy
10-22-2013, 1:17 AM
To clear up the FUD.

Obama's executive order applies to importers...commercial importers. The CMP is not a commercial importer and they are not affected. Lend/Lease guns remain US property. If and when a country decides they don't want to pay to store all the antique weapons, they must return them to the US military. The Army is free to supply them to CMP and will continue to do so.

I know this both from reading the executive order, and from speaking to the guy that runs the rifle program at CMP when he was speaking to us at the CMP Western games in Phoenix a couple weeks ago.

Supplies of surplus Garands and M1 Carbines are drying up simply due to time. More will come in from other countries, but its not a high priority for anyone overseas. Everyone has bigger fish to fry than "cleaning out the warehouse" of antique guns the US loaned them 60+ years ago. When other countries do get around to it, the weapons will make their way to CMP.

Due to the buying frenzy over the last couple years, CMP has a BIG backlog. They estimate a year or two to catch up on Garand back-orders. They have all manpower working on Garands, which is why you don't see carbines for sale right now. Eventually, CMP will clear the back-orders and get around to processing carbines and even a few 1903 Springfields, but it may be a year or two.

When CMP has small numbers of an item (50 or 100 carbines processed, etc.) they put them up for auction. If they put them up for general sale, they would sell out in 10 min. and CMP would be answering angry e-mails from thousands who saw them for sale and couldn't order one.

WWII guns are slowly drying up. If you get a chance, get one. They will still be available for years, but over time the supply will only decrease from here.

ChrisC
10-22-2013, 8:17 AM
To clear up the FUD.

Obama's executive order applies to importers...commercial importers. The CMP is not a commercial importer and they are not affected. Lend/Lease guns remain US property. If and when a country decides they don't want to pay to store all the antique weapons, they must return them to the US military. The Army is free to supply them to CMP and will continue to do so.

I know this both from reading the executive order, and from speaking to the guy that runs the rifle program at CMP when he was speaking to us at the CMP Western games in Phoenix a couple weeks ago.

Supplies of surplus Garands and M1 Carbines are drying up simply due to time. More will come in from other countries, but its not a high priority for anyone overseas. Everyone has bigger fish to fry than "cleaning out the warehouse" of antique guns the US loaned them 60+ years ago. When other countries do get around to it, the weapons will make their way to CMP.

Due to the buying frenzy over the last couple years, CMP has a BIG backlog. They estimate a year or two to catch up on Garand back-orders. They have all manpower working on Garands, which is why you don't see carbines for sale right now. Eventually, CMP will clear the back-orders and get around to processing carbines and even a few 1903 Springfields, but it may be a year or two.

When CMP has small numbers of an item (50 or 100 carbines processed, etc.) they put them up for auction. If they put them up for general sale, they would sell out in 10 min. and CMP would be answering angry e-mails from thousands who saw them for sale and couldn't order one.

WWII guns are slowly drying up. If you get a chance, get one. They will still be available for years, but over time the supply will only decrease from here.

Thank you for doing the background work, os many people jump to conclusions and all it does is get them angry over stuff they are usually wrong about.

dustoff31
10-22-2013, 11:55 AM

The lend lease program ended in 1945 and the ROK was never involved in it. In fact, it didn't even exist as such then.

The rifles were either sold outright or gifted to them and they are under no obligation to return them.

Yes, they could give them away if they wanted to. But they elect not to for I'm sure many of the same reasons you and I don't give our guns away.

teetsjones
10-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately you can't argue with stupid.

No you can't, he is surrounded by Secret Service.