PDA

View Full Version : Kershaw issues

drunktank
09-18-2013, 12:20 PM
I bought a Kershaw/Snap-On Tools Ken Onion Leek composite earlier in the year. Picked it up from the Snap-On rep that's at my yard every week. I work next to the ocean so keep my blades lightly oiled every so often for preventive maintenance, even though I've never had any blade rust on me yet.

Anyhow, fast foward a couple months and I take out my Kershaw from it's case only to find the bottom half of the blade has about 10 different rust spots forming. I had only used it a few times and kept it in the factory case inside an air conditioned room. Looked it up online and see reports of people having the same issues. Seems Kershaw will repair or replace it within 3-4 weeks. Mine was lubricated with Lubriplate, which is what I use on elevators sitting 20' from the ocean and everything gets protected well, but apparently it wasn't good enough for this "quality" blade. My Snap-On rep sent it back for me and gave me confirmation of it. Week after week, he would check in on Kershaw with me standing there. By now, several other co-workers sent their Kershaws back for various reasons - some rust related, & others had broken parts. No real response from Kershaw, other than to wait or check back later. That later turned out to be 9 weeks. I opened up the case only to find that the knife had never been touched. Still the same rusty blade I sent to them in the first place. I even left a smudge near the base of it as an identifying mark and it was still there, proving to me they didn't even thouroughly wipe the damn thing. I didn't stick around long enough to see if the other guys' issues were resolved but should have. I'll have to follow up on that.

Luckily my rep pulled a new one out of his display case and just swapped me free of charge. Hopefully, none of you will have issues like I experienced but I figure I would post it here. Benchmade has never given me issues, so I will be sticking with them I guess. Almost 3 years of hard daily use with my Griptillian and no issues. 3 days use of my Kershaw and rust! I guess I'll have to keep this one oiled really well.

KIDRR
10-15-2013, 1:36 AM
IMO Kershaw is mass produced junk now. I have two and they are poor quality. The blade dulls easily, they are prone to rust, and it is hard to get a good edge on them in the first place.

TKM
10-15-2013, 1:39 AM
Emerson, no issues.

Spawn
10-20-2013, 8:33 PM
Well it is a Kershaw. They're garbage.

em9sredbeam
10-28-2013, 10:01 AM
I have a couple Kershaws and I am more than happy. My 1660CKTST has been great. It is the sharpest, best edge holding blade I have come across that is not several hundred dollars. Also their warranty is awesome. I had a nick in the blade and the cam came loose, (mostly my fault.), and they sharpened it, replaced a screw, and put it back together. I got it back within 6 days of mailing it for free. Cost me two dollars in shipping.

jyo
10-28-2013, 12:53 PM
When it comes to folding pocket knives, there is only one: Spyderco!

drunktank
11-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Just a quick update, as some people have inquired about the replacement.

The replacement knife from Snap-On has been good so far. No signs of rust and I only carry it about once a week. The fit and finish isn't as good as my first one, as this one has a very tight locking bar that takes quite a bit of effort to engage/disengage. The assisted opening isn't as smooth as the first knife as well. At least it's not rusted already. I've only oiled it once with Lubriplate so far (and did the same to my other knives at the same time). So far so good.

Either way, I've decided to stick with my Griptillian the other 6 days of the week. It's beat to hell from 3 years of daily use and still works great. That, and I still can't get over how lousy the service was from Kershaw after I've read such great things from them. Still no response from their customer service as well. Oh well, no big loss I suppose but a big plus one to my Snap-On rep for taking care of the situation.

Jyo, I've given away all my older Spyderco's because they felt loose and wobbly - sort of like Smith and Wesson Knives form Big-5. Have they changed quality in the past few years? I'm "hard" on my knives at work as we use them constantly (and misuse them some times to be perfectly honest). I've shyed away from cheaper brands because of snapped blades, however I do try to make it a point to now properly use them!

em9sredbeam, glad to hear they took care of you. Wish I had the same experience. Actually, I wish there was no rust issue at all like my other blades!

dirtracer24
11-12-2013, 10:17 PM
I've had many Kershaws and the ken onion snap on knife as well. Although I've had it it other colors and not snap on also. I love them because they hold a decent edge and they are very slim and light weight on my pocket. I have broken quite a few of them but all were my own fault, using them as screw drivers and pry bars. The main reason I have had multiples of the same knife is that I lose them. I'm sure if I cleaned out my truck, wife's car, and work trucks I would find most of them. I do need to send in my current everyday carry because the tip of the blade is snapped off, but I need to find one or buy something else before sending it away.
I also have a really nice bench made my wife got me for our anniversary a few years back but that's in need to be sent it as well. The polymer handle broke off at the clip after I snagged it on a backpack strap. But my complaint with that knife is the thickness of it and that it feels backward compared to every other knife I carry. It feels like it comes out of my pocket left handed, if that makes any sense. Any how good luck with your new one.

Btw I never have any issues with rust on any of my blades. I don't live or work near the ocean very often, but I am a plumber and use my knives in many wet environments sometimes completely submerged. I just shake them off and put them back in my pocket. And only I only oil them if the hinge point gets gummy.

YZINGERR
11-13-2013, 1:22 AM
I agree that kershaws were once great...now made in china/taiwan, etc.
I had a warranty issue a few years back and they were awesome, even sent me a few extra knives as a "sorry for your woes" present. Sad to hear that they are now like most companies...CS less

45R
11-13-2013, 5:50 AM
When it comes to folding pocket knives, there is only one: Spyderco!

They are great knives for occasional use but don't stand up well to hard use. The tips break and serrations get worn down. The company does have fantastic CS.

YZINGERR
11-19-2013, 4:43 PM
I agree, was never happy with the one spyderco I owned