PDA

View Full Version : SB374- it won't affect bolt-action .416 Barrett rifles right?

iansilv
09-18-2013, 9:44 AM
I was thinking about buying a bolt action Barrett- SB374 won't affect those will it?

hardlyworking
09-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Man I don't want to be "that guy" but... would it kill you to actually read the most egregious Anti-2A law in the country?

That said: no, the law only bans semi-auto riffles (and monkeys with "AW" pistols and shotguns) but does not effect bolt or lever guns.

Here, I'll make it easy for you: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml;jsessionid=28b57bbc9a276866ff1 c9114dcc2

kygen
09-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Man I don't want to be "that guy" but... would it kill you to actually read the most egregious Anti-2A law in the country?

That said: no, the law only bans semi-auto riffles (and monkeys with "AW" pistols and shotguns) but does not effect bolt or lever guns.

Here, I'll make it easy for you: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml;jsessionid=28b57bbc9a276866ff1 c9114dcc2

be that guy

CSACANNONEER
09-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I think the real question is "Why do you want a .416 Barrett in the first place?" Did you buy into all the marketing crap? It's really a bastard round that doesn't fit in anywhere and will never be developed to it's potential because of that. If it's just a "toy" for you, why not get a .510 DTC instead? At least, there are way more components out there, load data is easier to find and there will always be a solid market for quality .50s.

Chaos47
09-18-2013, 12:37 PM
be that guy

Agreed, hardlyworking don't be ashamed of telling someone to read the law for themselves. It would have taken the OP less time to find out the answer for themselves then to have posted this.
No shame in stating the obvious, answering the question and linking to source material.

We need less people being that guy that asks these questions over and over.

North86
09-18-2013, 1:04 PM
Yet.

If the Governor signs this, will your bolt action or lever actions be next? Who knows.

No, your preferred firearm isn't affected by this particular legislation. But are you taking any steps to make sure others' preferred firearms aren't affected either? There's a lot of info in the 2A section. Take a moment, read up on it, and call/write/fax the Governor and ask him to Veto these bills.

brando
09-18-2013, 3:32 PM
I think the real question is "Why do you want a .416 Barrett in the first place?" Did you buy into all the marketing crap? It's really a bastard round that doesn't fit in anywhere and will never be developed to it's potential because of that.

Agreed. A little education goes a long way.

postal
09-18-2013, 3:59 PM
Yet.

If the Governor signs this, will your bolt action or lever actions be next? Who knows.

No, your preferred firearm isn't affected by this particular legislation. But are you taking any steps to make sure others' preferred firearms aren't affected either? There's a lot of info in the 2A section. Take a moment, read up on it, and call/write/fax the Governor and ask him to Veto these bills.

Most everyone I know with a bolt action owns a number of rifles affected by that bill....

One of our resident experts screen name is "AR15 Barrels".... There's a hint....:)

X-NewYawker
09-18-2013, 9:08 PM
I think the real question is "Why do you want a .416 Barrett in the first place?" Did you buy into all the marketing crap? It's really a bastard round that doesn't fit in anywhere and will never be developed to it's potential because of that. If it's just a "toy" for you, why not get a .510 DTC instead? At least, there are way more components out there, load data is easier to find and there will always be a solid market for quality .50s.

Cannoneer is dead on here. Armalite makes their ridiculous bolt gun in 338 Lapua and 3000 Win mag, And Barrett has they AR looking bolt action in 338 LM as well. I have shot them all, and the 416 was most expensive, but didn't do anything the others couldn't.

X-NewYawker
09-18-2013, 9:10 PM
Agreed, hardlyworking don't be ashamed of telling someone to read the law for themselves. It would have taken the OP less time to find out the answer for themselves then to have posted this.
No shame in stating the obvious, answering the question and linking to source material.

We need less people being that guy that asks these questions over and over.

As I posted the other day when the bills were headed to Brown's desk, I was stunned to have gun owners I know say that they had only "just heard about" these bills! That's one way Liberals win: While they frack with our Rights and lives, most conservatives are out WORKING.

DFence
09-18-2013, 9:14 PM
Most everyone I know with abolt action owns a number of rifles affected by that bill....

One of our resident experts screen name is "AR15 Barrels".... There's a hint....:)

You know a lot of people with bolt action rifles that are affected by the semi auto bill?

I know people who own both types of rifles but that is irrelevant to the OP stupid question.

Thrashard340
09-18-2013, 9:29 PM
If they already banned .50 BMG in a bolt rifle, .416 is the next illogical step for the gun grabbers. The point is not only to worry about whether or not the law applies to you, but to assist with Pro-2A support.

SonofWWIIDI
09-18-2013, 9:31 PM
Not yet!

But who knows what will happen if J.B. doesn't veto the current legislation?

And why are people bashing his choice to purchase a .416. If its something he wants, and he can afford it...

We all have different likes when it comes to our guns, let it go.

As for the lack of reading regarding the legislation...yeah you deserve what has been said. That stuff has been brewing for a long time, and while you don't seem to post much, you should have done your research.
:)

North86
09-18-2013, 9:31 PM
Most everyone I know with a bolt action owns a number of rifles affected by that bill....

Mine was a gentle reminder. Please take it as such.

brando
09-18-2013, 11:54 PM
And why are people bashing his choice to purchase a .416. If its something he wants, and he can afford it...

Not bashing, more like puzzled as it's proved to be really crappy for ELR shooting. But if he just wants to make a big boom, then go for it.

jeffrice6
09-19-2013, 12:51 AM
I Kinda Guy~

CSACANNONEER
09-19-2013, 6:21 AM

We all have different likes when it comes to our guns, let it go.

I asked "Why?" Maybe he has a reason that is legit or, maybe he just isn't educated on the subject enough to make the right decision for his needs yet. Maybe, he's just listened to the marketing hype and doesn't know any better yet? Remember all those guys here who invested in Bohica uppers and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread? I wonder what they think of their choice now?

Exodus343
09-19-2013, 8:42 AM
338 Lapua
You can actually BUY and LOAD ammo without going straight to Barrett

Btw Greg, is there any single shot AR uppers that's NOT in a 50 cal?

CSACANNONEER
09-19-2013, 9:08 AM
338 Lapua
You can actually BUY and LOAD ammo without going straight to Barrett

Btw Greg, is there any single shot AR uppers that's NOT in a 50 cal?

Yes there are. I know that Dave Moore (Spider Firearms - The maker of Ferret uppers) use to offer bolt action uppers in .308, .338L and a few other chamberings. But, what do you have against 50s? You can still get a .510 DTC or any other .50 cal besides 50BMG rifles here in CA. And, if AB374 goes through, there's a chance that you'll be able to put a 50BMG upper on any newly registered CA AWs.

Whiterabbit
09-19-2013, 9:12 AM
Thats the plan if 374 gets signed. Though it WOULD be nicer if brown quietly (quietly) vetoed it...

gorenut
09-19-2013, 9:39 AM
I'm trying to separate the FUD from the truth.. but I'm hearing that it'll affect bolt-actions with 10-round magazines. I don't see it anywhere in the actual bill, but maybe I missed something.

Hairball
09-19-2013, 11:10 AM
If you want a .416 then go buy one, don't listen to all of these who argue that the 50 is better (because they own one). I shoot ELR and I have a 50, 416 and a 338 and the 416 performs better at distance than the 50. The standard 416 (398gr) from a 32" barrel has more muzzle energy at 1000 yards than the standard 50 BMG (660gr from a 29" barrel) and has over 100 inches less drop. Beyond that range the gap continues to grow. Do you have the amount of versatility with the 416, no as you are very limited in components but to say the 416 does not perform as well and in some cases better is not correct. The other issue you need to consider is range availability. I live out in the higher desert area so open space is easy to find. If you live near a range that is limited to a few hundred yards, you can still shoot these calibers but you will not realize their potential until you take them out over 1k

tacticalcity
09-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Could just be that there is one one the shelf at an attractive price. Pretty sure Cordova Shooting Center has one of these in stock and if I remember correctly is had a really low sticker price for being something made by Barrett (typically there products are VERY pricey). I know I was tempted, but I couldn't really think of when or where I would use it and there were just too many other really cool and more useful guns on the must have list ahead of the "oh whats that cool looking thing on the shelf over there?".

hardlyworking
09-19-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm trying to separate the FUD from the truth.. but I'm hearing that it'll affect bolt-actions with 10-round magazines. I don't see it anywhere in the actual bill, but maybe I missed something.

Its been a long time but: if I remember correctly, there was a time in SB374's early history that was worded to convey ANY detachable magazine rifle would be labeled an AW. Then they added semi-auto, then they added centerfire + rimfire, then they took out rimfire.

I think

CSACANNONEER
09-19-2013, 12:48 PM
If you want a .416 then go buy one, don't listen to all of these who argue that the 50 is better (because they own one). I shoot ELR and I have a 50, 416 and a 338 and the 416 performs better at distance than the 50. The standard 416 (398gr) from a 32" barrel has more muzzle energy at 1000 yards than the standard 50 BMG (660gr from a 29" barrel) and has over 100 inches less drop. Beyond that range the gap continues to grow. Do you have the amount of versatility with the 416, no as you are very limited in components but to say the 416 does not perform as well and in some cases better is not correct. The other issue you need to consider is range availability. I live out in the higher desert area so open space is easy to find. If you live near a range that is limited to a few hundred yards, you can still shoot these calibers but you will not realize their potential until you take them out over 1k

No one has said not to buy a firearm chambered in .416 Barrett but, the OP needs to understand that it is a bastard round that will always stay a boutique round. It just does not fit into any competitive category thus, it will never see it's full potential whether good or bad. I will say that I'd never buy a Barrett because, I want to shoot precision and I've yet to see a big bore Barrett that can shoot as well as some of the other guns out there which cost less than half of what a Barrett does.

1CavScout
09-19-2013, 1:03 PM

Good post. I recently sold my .416 and bought a DTA because of ammo availability, but guys are reaching out really far with the .416 Barrett. If the OP goes to the Barrett forums and does some research, he will see what I am talking about. Barrett's support for the round might be a problem though in the future.

brando
09-19-2013, 3:25 PM
.50BMG isn't "better" so to speak, but if you want a cartridge for shooting ELR distances (beyond a mile) then the king of the hill is .375CT. .416B was a noble attempt to make a .50BMG alternative but it doesn't hold a candle to the .375 for a variety of reasons, most notably the lack of a decent bullet. Ask around in the ELR community and see who's shooting .416Bs compared to .375CT. The vast majority of folks I've come across who're shooting .416B aren't shooting anywhere close to a mile and own them primarily because they wanted a Barrett and couldn't get a .50BMG.

tuolumnejim
09-19-2013, 3:46 PM
Don't worry about it this year but next year you might have to defend your "Sniper" rifle, you know because only criminals need a super accurate bolt action "Sniper" rifle. :rolleyes: < I put the smiley here for people that don't know what sarcasm is. :43:

kelvin232
09-19-2013, 4:03 PM
And, if AB374 goes through, there's a chance that you'll be able to put a 50BMG upper on any newly registered CA AWs.

this is the question i've been avoiding asking all week......

hermosabeach
09-19-2013, 5:54 PM
I thought that we were not listing all of the items they missed for the next round of rules.