PDA

View Full Version : Legalities regarding a cane sword

OC Speedball
09-16-2013, 12:38 AM
My mom likes to go on walks on a trail right near our house. Recently, there are large packs of coyotes in our neighborhood, and you can hear them going off every night howling and barking. There is also a mountain lion that has been frequenting the trail area to reach a lake that is on the trail.

There have also been several mountain lion attacks (deaths) in the past 10 years here.

So I'm wondering, for her safety, if she could carry something like a cane sword for emergency situations. I know coyote attacks are rare, but still. I checked the sticky on laws but couldn't exactly understand or find an answer to this. Also open to other suggestions if illegal.

nothinghere2c
09-16-2013, 2:44 AM
cane swords are banned specifically in california.

she'd be better off just open carrying a big old ka-bar on her belt or something

nothinghere2c
09-16-2013, 2:45 AM
Part 6/Title 3/Division 5 - Deals with knife carry and prohibits several types of knives. It is way too long to cite it here completely, thus only the most relevant parts here. For The reference - full text of the penal code Part 6, Title 3.
General - Division 5 and subsequent divisions outlaw several types of knives and other weapons/devices. Violating any of the rules carries out the same punishment: is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison.. I.e. same penalty for Lipstick, Undetectable, Belt buckle knives, etc.

Division 5 of Title 3 of Part 6 prohibits and bans several different types of knives, before 2012 they were all in the same section(12020), listed by name:
Old version in section 12020, pre 2012 - (1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses ... any ballistic knife, ... any belt buckle knife, any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, ...
After 2012 each type listed above got its own article under Division 5, including 1 year prison punishment.
So, not only you can't carry, but you can't even posses any of the listed in above. Some of it makes sense, some not so much. The section 22210 bans slungshots, but slingshots are ok. Half of those things are most likely unknown to general public and probably knife enthusiastas as well. For your information, Shurikens are also included in Division 9 of the Title 3, section 22410-22490. They are not exactly knives, but still edged weapons. Ok, moving on.

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/law/caknifelaws.shtml

Blademan21
09-16-2013, 9:49 AM
Bear spray

diverwcw
09-16-2013, 9:51 AM
Have her carry a golf club to practice her swing. Nothing illegal about that.

Librarian
09-16-2013, 1:00 PM
Current law - 16340. As used in this part, "cane sword" means a cane, swagger
stick, stick, staff, rod, pole, umbrella, or similar device, having
concealed within it a blade that may be used as a sword or stiletto.
and 20510. Except as provided in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section
17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who
manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state,
keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends,
or possesses any cane sword is punishable by imprisonment in a county
jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision
(h) of Section 1170.

amd64
09-16-2013, 1:35 PM
Bear spray

This.

Whiterabbit
09-16-2013, 2:58 PM
even a weighted cane is illegal on the list of banned items (brass knuckes, butterfly knives, Nunchaku, etc etc etc.)

smird
09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
What's the legality on a cane sword if it's an antique? Still a no go in California?

Librarian
09-17-2013, 2:14 PM
What's the legality on a cane sword if it's an antique? Still a no go in California?

PC does not offer an exception, so I would say antiques are 'no go'.

ke6guj
09-17-2013, 3:12 PM
and the fact that they are illegal isn't known by many people. I've been to auctions where they have had cane swords n the auction. I brought up the illegality to the staff and in one case, they pulled it from the auction and thanked me. In another case, they said it wasn't their concern and left it in the auction.:eek:

AJAX22
09-17-2013, 3:26 PM
I thought there was an exemption for movie production/prop companies?

Remi
09-17-2013, 3:26 PM
Current law 16340. As used in this part, "cane sword" means a cane, swagger stick, stick, staff, rod, pole, umbrella, or similar device, having concealed within it a blade that may be used as a sword or stiletto.

:eek: What about a walking stick with one of these grippy things? :oji:

http://www.farfromboring.com/promotional-products-blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/walking-stick-300x300.jpg

Librarian
09-17-2013, 5:05 PM

http://www.farfromboring.com/promotional-products-blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/walking-stick-300x300.jpg

That thing is a 'spike ferrule' - I've heard nothing for or against. If I were hiking, I would not be concerned, myself.

smird
09-18-2013, 6:32 AM
PC does not offer an exception, so I would say antiques are 'no go'.

Thanks, well there goes that part of my inheritance.

daveinwoodland
09-18-2013, 6:43 AM
I'll have to put in another vote for bear spray. That is much easier then having to try to stab at some fast moving animal.

Jpzum
09-18-2013, 8:59 AM
Sling a katana on the back.

ElvenSoul
09-18-2013, 9:06 AM
A spontoon is perfectly legal

A knife that has a hollow handle for turning a stick into a instant spear.

Remi
09-18-2013, 9:44 AM
That thing is a 'spike ferrule' - I've heard nothing for or against. If I were hiking, I would not be concerned, myself.

Thanks, that is good to know! It's not much of a weapon, but I wasn't sure if that was considered a stiletto or not.

OC Speedball
09-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys. Bear spray may be a good idea. I've just heard that you have to really accurate with it

roflwizard
09-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Why not just hit the thing with a big solid stick? Same effect, less blood, more broken bones.

gblacksmith
09-28-2013, 1:23 PM
Thanks guys. Bear spray may be a good idea. I've just heard that you have to really accurate with it

The better units have a combination spray/fog and stream and are quite handy. The real challenge is maintaining awareness on the trail. Leave your headphones at home......

DavidR310
10-06-2013, 12:27 AM

Those trash pick up sticks have a longer spike

http://www.gemplers.com/img/litter-stick-pickup-159894.jpg

She could just be doing some trail maintenance ;)

covingtonhouse
10-08-2013, 9:40 PM
A spontoon is perfectly legal

A knife that has a hollow handle for turning a stick into a instant spear.

a spontoon and a spork, and you're set!!

bohoki
10-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Current law - and

what if the cane sword was in a lucite cane?

Librarian
10-08-2013, 11:18 PM
what if the cane sword was in a lucite cane?

That would look cool. Concealment is an element of the definition; probably would beat the rap, but still take the ride.

Cali-Glock
12-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Bear spray

Not legal in California either.

UberPatriot
12-30-2013, 12:18 PM
What about a short whip?

http://gilblog.com/nagaika.jpg

njineermike
12-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Unless you happen to be attacked by tickle me elmo, if it's even remotely capable of defending your life in a dangerous situation, it's probably illegal here.

SactoDoug
12-30-2013, 2:58 PM
I don't think a cane sword would be a very good weapon against a mountain lion. They attack their prey by jumping on their back, ripping the back with claws and biting the neck. Their victims usually don't know they are there until they are charging at them or already on their back.

IMO she should carry a knife she could use if the thing was on top of her. In case she encounters an animal at a distance, some kind of pepper spray. As a preventable matter, tell her to make plenty of noise as she walks so that she does not surprise any animals. Wearing a bell while hiking in the woods is a good idea.

Blademan21
12-30-2013, 9:49 PM
Not legal in California either.

Big-5 has bear spray:rolleyes:

Librarian
12-30-2013, 10:54 PM
I don't think a cane sword would be a very good weapon against a mountain lion. They attack their prey by jumping on their back, ripping the back with claws and biting the neck. Their victims usually don't know they are there until they are charging at them or already on their back.

IMO she should carry a knife she could use if the thing was on top of her. In case she encounters an animal at a distance, some kind of pepper spray. As a preventable matter, tell her to make plenty of noise as she walks so that she does not surprise any animals. Wearing a bell while hiking in the woods is a good idea.

Old joke:
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat:
- Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur.
- Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Ninask
12-30-2013, 11:15 PM
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance

Gotta love this
lets 'em know dinner is coming I guess:)
N

fendter
12-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Get on of these: http://www.blackswiftsticks.com/index.html

funnybookz
12-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Bear spray, but check the legalities of carrying it as you would anything else. I'd also open carry a decent fixed blade.

hjon96
12-31-2013, 3:30 PM
Try and get her an Open Carry(Would be hard, but just tell them she goes hiking a lot and would carry it incase she was attacked), but if not I'd say bear spray and a fixed. Maybe even a solid machete.

BigPimping
01-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Bear Spray all the way. Or a vicious dog. Maybe a Rhodesian Ridgeback.