PDA

View Full Version : SB 374 question

onelonehorseman
09-13-2013, 9:20 AM
I know there must be a thread on this somewhere here but i couldn't find it. So, I apologize in advance if this question is redundant.

If the SB 374 gets signed into law as written:

"This bill would, instead, classify a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept no more than 10 rounds as an assault weapon. The bill would require a person who, between January 1, 2001, and December 31, 2013, inclusive, lawfully possessed an assault weapon that does not have a fixed magazine, including those weapons with an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with the use of a tool, and who, on or after January 1, 2014, possesses that firearm, to register the firearm by July 1, 2015. By expanding the definition of a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program."

Then once these legally possessed rifles are registered as required above, they will then be considered legally registered assault weapons correct?

So, at that point, there would seem to be no further purpose for the bullet buttons since they were only to prevent the rifles from being AW's in the first place. So can the BB's then be removed for good?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but just curious.

Cheers,
Tim

fishdude
09-13-2013, 10:29 AM
I may have had a Mini-14 before Jan 1, 2001 - does this bill make it exempt from registration or can I just not register it?

onelonehorseman
09-13-2013, 10:41 AM
I may have had a Mini-14 before Jan 1, 2001 - does this bill make it exempt from registration or can I just not register it?

As I read it, the wording doesn't say acquired beteen the listed dates, it says lawfully owned between those dates. So if it meets the description as listed, it would have to be registered prior to July 1, 2015 or it would become an unregistered (read illegal) AW.

Maybe one of the legal guru's can chime in but that's the way it seems to read to my non-expert thinking.

Cheers,
Tim

DFence
09-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I know there must be a thread on this somewhere here but i couldn't find it. So, I apologize in advance if this question is redundant.

If the SB 374 gets signed into law as written:

"This bill would, instead, classify a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept no more than 10 rounds as an assault weapon. The bill would require a person who, between January 1, 2001, and December 31, 2013, inclusive, lawfully possessed an assault weapon that does not have a fixed magazine, including those weapons with an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with the use of a tool, and who, on or after January 1, 2014, possesses that firearm, to register the firearm by July 1, 2015. By expanding the definition of a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program."

Then once these legally possessed rifles are registered as required above, they will then be considered legally registered assault weapons correct?

So, at that point, there would seem to be no further purpose for the bullet buttons since they were only to prevent the rifles from being AW's in the first place. So can the BB's then be removed for good?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but just curious.

Cheers,
Tim

Between those dates it was illegal to purchase a rifle with the evil features that did not have a bullet button. Your rifle would have to stay as legally configured and now also be registered.

e90bmw
09-13-2013, 1:29 PM
Between those dates it was illegal to purchase a rifle with the evil features that did not have a bullet button. Your rifle would have to stay as legally configured and now also be registered.

That's also how I interpret it.