PDA

View Full Version : new jersey state police

donw
09-13-2013, 5:18 AM
like me, i'm sure many of you are also into airguns. for home plinking as well as hunting.

and, as many of you are aware of, you may, legally, purchase air rifles that have built-on, factory installed, "Moderators" here in the golden state, and from what i understand you may even attach "shrouds" without too much fear of repercussion from LE on air rifles.

what i saw on an airgun forum last evening airgunadvice.net, sent chills up my spine.

new jersey state police have "passed a rule" that if you have an air gun with a silencer on it...it is considered as an "Assault weapon".

now PD's are being allowed to "Make rules"? what has happened to the legislative process?:confused:

is that next here? will we soon have to 'register' our archery equipment? heads up!

RickD427
09-13-2013, 7:54 AM
Don,

One quick question. Have you done any checking to see if the information contained on the other website is true, and reported in a correct context?

donw
09-13-2013, 8:58 AM
here's the sources i got it from. the author quotes some, seemingly, credible sources for his post.

http://airgunadvice.net/viewtopic.php?t=17181

http://www.nj2as.com/blog?mode=PostView&bmi=1382303

Hoooper
09-13-2013, 9:02 AM
can you get a tax stamp for that air gun suppressor?

thospb
09-13-2013, 9:04 AM
A suppressor on an Airgun makes it sound like......an Airgun.

RickD427
09-13-2013, 10:11 AM
here's the sources i got it from. the author quotes some, seemingly, credible sources for his post.

http://airgunadvice.net/viewtopic.php?t=17181

http://www.nj2as.com/blog?mode=PostView&bmi=1382303

Don,

Thanks for the update. That really helps to clarify things.

What drew my ire with your original posting was the assertion that "New Jersey State Police have passed a rule..." and then suggesting the rulemaking was contrary to the legislative process.

All too often I see postings in this, and other, forums where folks take offense at something and then S T R E T C H the truth of that thing to suit their purpose.

I don't see where the New Jersey State Police "passed" any sort of a rule. What I did see in your references was a letter, written on New Jersey Attorney General letterhead (the letterhead is kinda confusing - It reads Attorney General, but also includes the State Police and the title of the signer suggests the signer is a police official. Lot's of stuff about New Jersey is confusing. I'm still trying to figure out if their governor is really a democrat or a republican). The letter states that a specific New Jersey statute (2C:39-1) defines the air rifle as a "firearm." The letter also states that another statute prohibits the possession of silencer equipped firearms (2C:39-3c). When you read the text of the statutes, it's clear that New Jersey law defines air rifles as "firearms" and that possession of a silencer equipped firearm is a crime. The author's statements are fully backed up by the law. Nobody in the State Police did any "rule-making" on this one. The rules were made by the New Jersey legislature.

Since the objectionable rule was made by the legislature, how can the police be usurping the legislature's role by accurately stating the rule?

I'm not defending New Jersey's choice of law in any way. California has its share of "Nutso" laws, but there are a few places that are "Nutsier" than California and New Jersey is one of them.

Methinks the truth has been S T R E T C H E D a bit far on this one. Your ire should not be directed at the New Jersey State Police. They've been straight up on this one. Your ire should be directed to the elected representatives of New Jersey.

HowardW56
09-13-2013, 10:40 AM
What does this have to do with California 2A issues?

donw
09-13-2013, 2:08 PM
What does this have to do with California 2A issues?

currently, here in California, we are not subjected to the same stringent airgun regs as is NJ.

legislators have a nasty habit of "jumping on the bandwagon" to be able to puff their chests out and say "I'm tough on crime".

legislation has a way of 'spilling over' into other states.

i pointed this out to give a "Heads up" to a potential issue we may soon be faced with. after all..we now have airguns that are capable of taking elk, bear, pigs, etc...AZ and AL allow hunting big game with air rifles. these airguns are HIGHLY capable and are NOT under much scrutiny from our legislators...YET...and they may be purchased over the internet, NO DROS, FFL cash and carry...etc...just like firearms USED to be...

after airguns then archery equipment?

Texas Boy
09-13-2013, 2:27 PM
after airguns then archery equipment?

wait 'till they find out about string silencers, and quivers that hold more than 10 arrows!

But seriously, NJ is way more messed up than CA - just look at their transport laws - unloaded and in a locked box in the bottom of your trunk can still land you in jail.

Lots of pro 2A legal work to be done in both places.