PDA

View Full Version : Sept Long Range High Power matches @ Sac Valley

Pthfndr
09-10-2013, 5:06 PM
Just received word from Jim O'Connell

The Saturday match (14 Sept) will be a Palma Match. There will be a one minute blow off at 800 yards followed by 2 sighters and 15 shots for record at 800, 900, and 1000 yards. For those of you that might not know a blowoff is an opportunity to foul or warm up your barrel. After the prep time at 800 yards, the targets will go down in the pitts and the shooters can fire into the impact area. At the end of the miniute there will be cease fire and then the targets will come up to start the match. Sundays shoot will be 2 1000 yard matches. Each match will be unlimited sighters and twenty shots for record in a time limit of 30 minutes. Good shooting and I will see you all at the October match. Jim OConnell

Sign in and squading is at the Pole Barn on Range 12 from 0700-0730 with the Safety Brief @ 0730, shooting starts @ 0800 - Both days
Cost is $20

Classes for iron sights, F Open, F-T/R and F-Tactical

If you have must run a muzzle brake be prepared to bring something to mitigate the side blast to the shooters next you and mat/carpet to keep from blowing dirt off the ground. Declare you are using a muzzle brake at sign in.

killshot44
09-10-2013, 10:45 PM
I'll see you guys there Saturday!

Hopefully, I'll remember all my :censored: equipment this time..........

mattt
09-11-2013, 12:26 AM
What is going on sunday?

killshot44
09-11-2013, 6:16 PM
What is going on sunday?

Sundays match will be all at 1,000 yards. There will be two strings with unlimited sighters and twenty shots for record in a time limit of 30 minutes. Same sign-in and start times as Saturday.

But Sunday is Football Day at my house. ;)

rdfact
09-11-2013, 6:35 PM
Just out of curiosity - what are typical calibers used in these matches?

Pthfndr
09-11-2013, 8:48 PM
Just out of curiosity - what are typical calibers used in these matches?

These matches are NRA High Power matches, so are shot under NRA rules, but the match director allows some leeway so practically anyone can shoot them.

By the rules there is an upper limit of .35 caliber in the NRA classes which are Palma, F Open, F-T/R and High Power Rifle.

The Sac Valley range has a limit of 338 Lapua Magnum as the largest one can shoot there.

F Open and F Bench have no specified cartridge. You can shoot anything up to .35 caliber, though most people these days are shooting some kind of 6, 6.5 or 7mm cartridge.

F-T/R by NRA rules is limited to the .223 Remington and .308 Winchester cartridges, without any modifications.

F Tactical is one of those classes the match director helped establish. Any cartridge up to .35 caliber in a repeating, mag fed action (bolt or semi), with no weight restrictions.

Palma/NRA High Power rifles have iron sights and for U.S. competition can be any cartridge up to .35 caliber.

Except for Palma rifle and F-T/R, the most common calibers for any of the classes is some kind of 6, 6.5 or 7mm. that's because they offer the best ballistics, with the added benefit of having much less recoil than the big magnum cartridges.

F-T/R is getting a bigger turnout almost every match. Having the .308 Win restriction makes it easy for most anyone to get a rifle suitable to begin shooting competition, and if one does not reload, quality factory made match grade ammo. And at the club level such as these matches, there are several factory made rifles that would let someone be competitive if they have the ability.

killshot44
09-11-2013, 9:02 PM
F-T/R is getting a bigger turnout almost every match. Having the .308 Win restriction makes it easy for most anyone to get a rifle suitable to begin shooting competition, and if one does not reload, quality factory made match grade ammo. And at the club level such as these matches, there are several factory made rifles that would let someone be competitive if they have the ability.

Great explanation, Rob!
And so true; The Savage "12" models in particular have shown themselves to be very capable in these matches. Right Mattt?

An item of note: if you're using factory FGGM, get the 175gr for these matches that are beyond 600yds.

DPmax
09-11-2013, 9:43 PM
I'd really like to go to one of these some day, even if I'd be completely out classed.
Gotta get my work schedule to line up... but one day I will make the drive from OC and be there.
Have a great match!

mattt
09-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Great explanation, Rob!
And so true; The Savage "12" models in particular have shown themselves to be very capable in these matches. Right Mattt?

An item of note: if you're using factory FGGM, get the 175gr for these matches that are beyond 600yds.

Droping off a model 12 308 to Ken Breda Sat to have him build me another f/tr 308.